Fish Mounting

Acristickid

Acristickid

Have been thinking about Fish Mounts the last few days.

Never gotten a fish mounted and I am still deciding if I ever would.

Certainly would have to be a whopper(probably not including a big stocked trout on a marginal stream) or have a fantastic story behind it in order for me to get it mounted.

I don't know much about it really. Not sure if the cost would run me off but thought I should know these things before I would ever kill a big trout.

Anybody got insight on this subject? Thanks in advance, Paul

If you don't want to kill it, take a picture. You can get a replica made.

I do, however, like to support the small time guys, so I am not against killing the fish to help a local taxidermist out. My friend got certified in it, so I gave him a big, ugly palomino to do on the cheap. He's been busy and hasn't gotten around to it yet. To be honest, I think they are hideous, so I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

Expect something like $12-$20/inch, at least that's what it was way back when I last wanted to do it.

I always wanted to have some fish mounts but never wanted to spend the money to have them done. I did break down about 20 years ago and had a 21" smallmouth mounted. I have since had to have it repainted and the fins are very fragile. This has turned me off to mounting fish so I think a replica would be a better choice. I recently called on my hobby of wood carving of ducks and song birds to do a rainbow trout. It turned out ok and if I knew how to post a picture I would so you could see it. This has satisfied my desire to have more fish mounts.

I bought what is probably better described as a cold cast plaster replica from a guy who makes them in Colorado a few years back..it has a pedestal and sits on my fireplace...I'll see fi I can find the link..its pretty cool...

For the longest time I pondered getting one mounted and when the day finally came with a 25" brownie I just took a photo and released it. Since then I look at mounts and pictures and the pictures truly always look better than the mounts.
Doubt I'll ever do it now though I have nothing against it. A picture just seems to capture the fish AND the moment. Not just the fish.

Mine looks a lot like this...the bases are all different as tehy are real wood covers with moss...I like mine better than the pic...looks more realistic...won it on ebay for a fraction of the prices he's asking...

http://troutcarvings.com/page2.html

While I never held a license, I have some experience with taxidermy and taught myself to mount fish as a kid. I still have some fish hanging around that I mounted in the early 80s. These days, most of the big fish I catch I would prefer to release so rarely mount fish anymore. The process however has been greatly improved and some fish taxidermists today are highly competitive and I find their work very impressive. If you deliver a fish to be mounted, the taxidermist will skin the fish and stitch the skin, head, and fins around a form; allow it to dry; then paint and varnish the fish (some very small fish are just freeze dried). Trout are more difficult than bass due to their thin skin. This works fine but the fish can decay and fade over the years and you might have odor problems, esp if it is a big fish displayed in a humid area. There is some sentimental value to having the actual fish mounted. As some others have posted, replica mounts are another option. While the finished replica is more durable, it may not display some of the actual characteristics of the fish (like a very pronounced hook jaw or slender body). The taxidermist looks at the photo you provide and orders a "blank" made of fiberglass that is as close to your fish's size and shape and then paints the blank based on your photos. A good color photo is essential. Most of the time, replica mounts are more expensive due to the cost of blanks, esp finished ones with good, flexible fins. A blank for a 20" trout costs about $80 and this cost will be passed to you. In the end, I think a replica mount does have a lot to recommend it due to the release factor. Some things to keep in mind: Where will you hang the fish - will your lady approve? I like driftwood bases but they take up a lot of space so tell the taxidermist your maximum size that will fit. You might try getting a small trout mounted. The cost will be less, and a small trout on a driftwood base looks great and takes up less room. Finally, check the taxidermists work first. Many are great at deer heads but their fish are awful. Some do great bass but lousy trout - shop around.

I think if you question whether to get one mounted or not due to killing the fish then I would definitely go with the replica. I had a big stocked brookie done the other year and the head and fins are fake anyway and the mount looks very little like the actual fish did. With a replica I think you can be ensured that it will look closer to the real thing. With the price of it, it will have to be one heck of a fish to get on my wall. I set mounting standards for myself and I won't get another fish mounted until it reaches that point.

just my opinion, but I never understood why people mount have their catches and kills mounted, if you think about it it is just a hardened carcass on the wall. Mounting the heads of animals creeps me out even more than the fish mounting. How is that cool to look at every day, the things dead now.

brookie wrote:
just my opinion, but I never understood why people mount have their catches and kills mounted, if you think about it it is just a hardened carcass on the wall. Mounting the heads of animals creeps me out even more than the fish mounting. How is that cool to look at every day, the things dead now.

To each their own.

Replica is the way to go, and if you find the right taxidemist, they prefer fish replicas and they charge less.

Plus, a replica will be more true to form, because the freezing process will drop a 20" trophy to an 18" mount.

You should take a picture anyway so they could paint it accurate to your catch.

I would like to get a mount, but I have to catch a qualifying fish first. I think gargantuan male browns are hidious. I really want a wood carved coffee table with a stream carved in it with fish and other aquatic life.

I don't know how difficult this would be, but I'd like to mount a pike's skeleton some day. It would be pretty fragile, so it would need to be in a plexiglass box.

Does anyone know of anyone in Southeastern PA that does good fish mounts?

i always thought it would be funny to mount a junk fish,like one of those giant salmon river chubbs,or a sucker or something.

i would never really do it,i don't even kill trash fish,but it would be hilarious.

ooh,ooh,then you could keep a poker face on and give it as a gift to someone.

"here honey,this two pound sunny is for you " :)

There are companies that with pictures and dimensions will make you a fiberglass replica. Personally I think that is the way to go. It is salty but everytime I catch a big trout I think man this fish is gonna be bigger next year if he makes it. I have no mounts except for pictures.

The kind of mount I am talking about are replica mounts. I don't kill fish either and it is about the memories.

Artistic Anglers in Minnesota has done several fiberglass repro mouts for me and all have turned out great. Send them dimensions and pictures, the mount you receive will be a greatrepresetation of your trophy and will look great for years to come. They have been in business for many years and the work is great. My mounts, all freshwater, have been between $13-18/inch.

Those are fantastic ($300.00) best I have seen, the smaller rainbow is good the small brown is too thin and needs more detail. Thanks for the link

I have a beautiful sailfish mount about 4 pr 5 feet long really nice, but I am running out of room to display it properly, if I would put it on ebay what could I expect to get?? Shipping would be a pain though

Back