Fish Czar

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Everyone has ideas on how to improve trout fishing in PA. Okay, if you were the fish Czar in PA, what would you do?

Here are some of the things I would try:

1. I would conduct surveys in all cold-water streams to determine the current density of wild trout, and evaluate the stream’s ability to support wild trout. Many streams have not been surveyed for a long time. This would take years, but I would start with the larger streams and work my way down.

2. Based on the findings of the above survey, I would eliminate stocking in Class A streams and stream sections completely. Also based on the above survey and evaluation, I would cease stocking on streams with a less than Class A wild trout density, but been evaluated by my fisheries biologists to have the potential to support wild trout in a Class A density. I would designate several of these streams C&R, some with highly restricted harvest regulations, while keeping others under general regulations. I would survey the trout populations on a regular basis on these streams, and under all three types of regulations to determine the actual effect of angler harvest. I would also survey the stream to evaluate angler usage before and after the change in regulations.

3. I would continue to stock streams of aduquate water quality, but determined to be not be suitable for wild trout, and stock these streams more frequently with more fish. More stocked fish will be available since stocking was eliminated in wild trout streams and stream sections. My goal would be to have fishing opportunites for stocked trout with general regualations within a reasonable distance of trout anglers in every part of the State, if possible.

4. I would survey waters stocked with fingerlings, and if viable, try to expand the program to more streams determined to be suitable hold trout year-round, but lacking spawning habitat.

5. I would expand the Special Regulation areas, with a goal to maximize the opportunities of anglers in every part of the State to have access to stocked trout under general regulations, SR areas, and wild trout fisheries, all within a reasonable distance, if possible.

6. When/if self more sustaining wild trout fisheries are developed and are utilized by anglers, I would cut the trout stocking program an appropriate percentage, and use the savings to fund more stream enhancement programs, and purchase / lease more lands for public access.

7. I would, to a larger degree, enlist help from, and support the efforts of, the many fishing and conservation organizations. I would enlist their help in surveying streams, stream enhancement, and the education of the angler population on the conservation, the value, and the beauty of wild trout our State.

After all this the next step is to expand our airports and highways. PA will take the place of Montana as the #1 destination for trout fishin' in the US.........yuk!...not!

What’s your plan?

I'd rather be governor. (The style of governance under William Penn is preferable.) I'm going to review all the commissioners and replace any that are into the political games. I would consider adding two non-voting advocates, one from the sportsman's club community and one from PaTU. Then I'm going to give the commission sole authority on the executive director. Resource management will be largely based on biologists inputs. No meddling from the legislature. Then I'm going to put some heat on the Army Corp of Engineers and get reasonable flow plans for key reservoirs. Same with the Delaware River reservoirs.

Instead of funneling large amounts of state money to work projects in Philadelphia I'm going to properly fund the commission, the DCNR, and the game commission. Probably can be done for half the soccer stadium in Chester.

All streams will be open all year round for catch and release FF only. (Subject to approval by the commission biologists.)

New fines will be imposed for anyone fishing a trout stream with a sinker larger than a marble or using mono heavier than 50 lb. (I'm getting tired of seeing this hardware on stream side vegetation.)

Anyone found guilty of restricting citizens access on navigable waters will be subject to running gauntlet at the Harrisburg Sportsman's Show.

This should take about four weeks to accomplish. Then I'm going fishing, stream locations based on some private conversations with commission biologists.

The Pittman Robertson act will be suspended for Snoopy Rods. (I know this is federal but I'm always interested in expanding my powers.)

Back