First trout of year

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

Yesterday I had a day off so decided to find out where the brookies in my local stream go in the winter. Downstream (waayyyyy downstream) was the answer. Water was high but clear. I started off at a big plunge pool that always has a few. My olive bugger bumped one little brookie in the side but that was it. headed downstream and found nothing for the next mile.

Got to a section of stream with a lower gradient in a swampy area, stream loses some flow here and I think that was the key as less current means trout do not have to hold so tight to their lies to simply survive. I have only fished this point and downstream once before, in the summer when there was very little flow here. Snagged a tree branch and spooked a very small brookie retrieving the fly. Good sign. Next pool swung bugger downstream and it got nailed by a fat 7" brookie. The first trout of 2010! Not even an average fish for this stream but I got a great picture (with new camera not crappy cell phone) so I attached it below.

Spooked a bigger one in the next pool, the pool after that a 9"+ nailed it but I wasn't ready for it and missed. he retreated into and undercut and I couldn't bring him back out. The next pool is HUGE. 4 foot deep plunge pool with branches everywhere in the water. In summer this held 5 or 6 small brookies. My second cast, a big shape darted up from the bottom and inhaled the bugger. I set the hook, but not quite hard enough. The fish shook a few times, jumped and was gone. My previous best trout from this stream was 10" and this one was easily bigger than that, a MONSTER for this stream.

Now that I know where it lives, I'll be back to settle the score pretty soon. Now that I think about it, i have a couple fish i need to settle the score with! gonna be a fun year!

Enjoy the pic.

Attachments

• first 2010 trout.JPG
    first 2010 trout.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 4
Nice. My first trout this year was also a brookie. The only thing is that it was through the ice on a small lake... and he ate a worm. gasp. The best part about this day was that I discovered a new stream (to me) that is apparently full of big brookies. This is the stream that feeds the cattle pond that we ice fished.

Awesome Stuff. Still waiting to get out for my first fish of the year. . .

I caught my first trout of the year on Saturday. I used to go to my home waters and catch a wild brown from the Perky, but lately I've been going for brookies for the first trout of the year. I only caught 2 Saturday, one about 8 inches, the other about 5 that was beautifully colored. I got a pic of the first one, but wish I took one of the second one. It was a prettier fish.

It's always fun when the line goes tight with the first fish of the year. I caught mine Saturday on Donegal creek. A nice 11" brown fooled by a green Serendipity.

Flybop, out of curiosity, what qualifies as a "big" brookie in Montana?

Back