First Time on the Site

Z

Zipper

Hello PAFLYFISH. This is my first post. I live in Northeast Ohio and have been fly fishing for only about a year. I've have been looking for a few trout streams.

Can anyone tell me about Oil Creek? It's only a couple of hours from here. Is the state park portion a good spot? Does it have easy access? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Zipper

Welcome to PAFF. I can't help you with your inquiry because I'm from the outside of PA but I wanted to welcome you none the less.

Fox

Welcome.

Most of this site tends to focus on wild trout streams, me included. While Oil does get the occasional wild fish, it should not be considered a wild trout fishery, and there are quite a few other wild trout options in that region.

That said, as large, stocked streams go, it's a good one, and I enjoy my trips there. Yes, the state park is stocked heavily throughout. There are good hatches, and the fish rise freely when you get a hatch. It stays cool enough for trout fairly long into the summer for a freestoner of its size, mid June at least, and many years into July. It also gets stocked again in the fall, though I'm not sure if it's the whole length or just the special regulation areas. It does have 2 special regulation areas, and they are good. But the regular ATW sections also fish well deep into the season, for reasons I'll explain below.

Yes, there is good access. There are places to park only every couple of miles, but a paved bike trail runs the length of it. It's kind of nice because the stocking truck runs the bike trail, leading to stocked spots far from vehicle access. It allows you to get away from crowds a bit, and those that do walk or bike distances from the car generally aren't the type that keep very many fish. It gets fished out a bit right by the access points but if you're willing to go a mile or so you can escape that.

I doubt there are any trout in oil creek right now, during this hot summer. The water temps likely shot over 80 quite a few times already. It will get a fall stocking though.
There are better streams in the area however

Where in NE Ohio are you?

For stocked trout water you also have Neshannock which is prettty good, Cool Spring, Little Sandy(also wild fish), Slippery Rock, and a bunch of other smaller stocked streams. Take a look at the PFBC website.

There's also the Shenango River which is a great fishery. It is stocked with trout and the trout fishing can be good there, but it has tons of smallmouths, white bass, hybrids, panfish, walleye, cats, and a bunch of other stuff.

And don't forget about steelhead both in OH and PA.

Welcome aboard. GG

I'm from Lake County, Northeast Ohio. In between the Grand and Chagrin Rivers.

Have you ever been on Caldwell Creek?

I haven't fished Caldwell, so I can't help you there. I know it has both stocked and wild trout, but I heard it can be a very tough stream.

Actually I believe the Lake Metroparks stocks one of the Grand River tribs, I think Paine Creek, with trout once every spring. Sometime in April I think. Definitely try for steelhead since you live by two great rivers, they're a blast on the fly.

Back