First Class

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Some of my fondest memories, of going to different fly fishing shows and retailer trade shows, are those when I met "special people", that are either "not really big names in our sport", or "ARE big names, BUT NOT like you'd expect them to be".
Two, stand out, above the many I've met, and/or, fished with over the years...........................
Joan Wulff, who invited ME, of all people, to "join her for lunch", as I talked to her at her book signing /casting booth, because: "I HATE eating alone, ever since my Lee passed away".
I'd met her, for the very first time, about 20 minutes before her lunch invitation. We'd talked about several people we both are acquainted with.
She wasn't familiar with the Lewiston/Clarkston area, or, the two rivers that converge there, separating the two cities....the Snake and Clearwater rivers. At lunch, she asked me if I knew the rivers, very well, which I did, and that led the next morning to one of the most fun AND BELIEVE ME, most HUMBLING, fishing trips I've ever guided on!
The other "fondest memory" was meeting and casting a line with the lovely lady of your topic, Littlejunita.....Karen Graham. Almost, the same circumstances as meeting Joan the first time, but a different expo, that she was merely visiting-not working at and was introduced to me by my long time fishing partner, Henry Hoffman. This time, it was "reversed" as it was I, that was working with Henry in his booth and Ms.Graham had walked up to talk to Henry, whom she already knew.
It's NOT, the fame of these two women, that make these such great memories for me. It's the fact that they ARE both famous, but if you were not aware of that, before hand, you'd NEVER guess it by their personalities, attitudes, demeanor, or spendign time on the water with either of them.
Soft spoken, EXTREMELY modest, great senses of humor about life and about themselves, the list could go on, as to what makes these two ladies the fine women they are and why they're such a great addition to our sport.

They weren't famous except in their own minds but I used to get a big kick out of the California Cutie couples in their matching outfits.Usually saw them on the name streams like Henrys Fork,Firehole,Armstrongs Creek etc..
Their lifestyle was too busy to really learn to read streams or catch fish but they sure could cast and talk the talk,having been to Fenwicks or Orvis schools. Of course new waders and impeccably tailored clothes were deriguer.

pete41 wrote:
impeccably tailored clothes were deriguer.

And of course it is required to spell that "de rigueur" :p

Not when your a trout bum standing in awe of the beautiful people.
Thanks
I even looked it up but missed that.Oh,well close but missed again.lol

Well I would think that Joan would be the sophisticated Brown Trout, not sure which the other lady would be the Brookie or the Rainbow??

Back