First "spawn" post of 2016!

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Beat y'all to it!

This is something I was thinking about today. In warmer, drier years like this, have you guys found that the trout spawn earlier, later, or no difference in timing?

I'd like to say it's all about water temp. last year it was warmer during the winter but fall was really cold . I remember it being really cold early on. But then again I really wasn't visting trout streams looking for spawning fish all that often.

Squatch, we really shouldn't be fishing at all during the spawn. Just let them be.

We shouldn't fish for them during low water or during hot conditions either.

I propose a new designated Trout season of April 1 - May 31. Sorry Green Drake fans, hopefully they come early.

I just bought a new Mini Cooper too.

Swattie87 wrote:
Squatch, we really shouldn't be fishing at all during the spawn. Just let them be.

We shouldn't fish for them during low water or during hot conditions either.

I propose a new designated Trout season of April 1 - May 31. Sorry Green Drake fans, hopefully they come early.

I just bought a new Mini Cooper too.

Think you had a typo there. You meant April 30 - May 1 for the season, right?

Thanks jack@sses! Keep it up and I'll start posting pictures of 20" hens I finessed off of redds with 7x tippet.

Seriously though...early, late, no difference?

Cold = earlier

Warm = later

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Thanks jack@sses! Keep it up and I'll start posting pictures of 20" hens I finessed off of redds with 7x tippet.

Please post only if you promise to play said fish for at least 20 minutes and give their heart a good death grip when you get your grip and grin.

I think there might not be as much variance as we think. Or that maybe it's a combo of variables, perhaps some lurking, that ultimately dictate when the spawn occurrs.

salmonoid wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

Please post only if you promise to play said fish for at least 20 minutes and give their heart a good death grip when you get your grip and grin.

I think there might not be as much variance as we think. Or that maybe it's a combo of variables, perhaps some lurking, that ultimately dictate when the spawn occurrs.

Please make sure you lay them out on the dry rocky shore so we can get a true appreciation of the fish. A thirty second video will do.

They hold still better if you leave em out of the water for a few minutes first. Or a whack on the head to knock some sense into them.

Temperature, amount of sunlight, and water flows? GG

With the warm temps and exceptionally low flows, I'd expect late or perhaps not at all on some streams as the spawning areas might be all but dry. Let's hope for a little tropical depression lovin.....soon..

So, anyone want to organize a redds rapers jam? Will that mini hold a 7 1/2' finesse spin rod. My box of beads is dying to take a little walk in the woods. Just wish PFBC would close wild streams and I known spawning areas to all fishing like many other states do. It would stop these arguments. Just because you know what a Redd looks like doesn't mean every other knucklehead stomping through the creek does. For those that insist it's not an issue, I hope there's an afterlife where every single time you go to mount the wife, an 8' trout walks in and rips you off of her. Ahhh, sweet justice.

Any ideas if the grannoms will be early in 2017? My buddy said he's seen them getting active already.

Even if you do know what a red looks like they can be hard to find. Water clarity can be a big part. It's just better to stay off the water during spawning.

krayfish2 wrote:
For those that insist it's not an issue, I hope there's an afterlife where every single time you go to mount the wife, an 8' trout walks in and rips you off of her. Ahhh, sweet justice.

^ "Post of the Year" 2016 finalist.

The only rods that fit in my Mini are those collapsible telescoping Gemmie wands.

I'll go back to what I learned in college in the 70's.

Primary spawning stimulus is length of day - so that is the same year by year. Hatcheries make rainbows spawn in the fall by putting breeders indoors and changing light cycle. They compress the seasonal changes to make "spring" happen in the fall.

Temperature and flow are secondary stimuli. Daylight period makes the trout ready to go, but the temperature can't be too low or too high. Also, water can't be so low or so fast that trout can't reach spawning areas. Once the hormones kick into spawning mode trout will wait for the right conditions to spawn.

I have seen dozens of rainbows spawning in my local stream this week. They must be stockies to have the fall spawning urge since rainbows naturally spawn in spring. However, back in the day a very small number of wild bows would be screwed up and spawn in the fall so it is not unheard of - just rare.

Swattie87 wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:
For those that insist it's not an issue, I hope there's an afterlife where every single time you go to mount the wife, an 8' trout walks in and rips you off of her. Ahhh, sweet justice.

^ "Post of the Year" 2016 finalist.

The only rods that fit in my Mini are those collapsible telescoping Gemmie wands.

Bwuahahaha! I love the "redds rapers jam"

Water temperature first then the genetics, then amount of daylight. Some streams the trout don't spawn until January, for instance I saw spawning brookies last January at Bring Spring. Variously I've seen brookies and browns spawning anywhere from early October until January.

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Fish have scales not feathers, only birds have feathers, and even though old-timers called fish bucks and hens, it was never correct to call them that.

All this talk about redds made me think of the next yuppie crusade that is gaining momentum on social media...despising man made rock piles and how it is destroying the ecosystem.

Reeder wrote:
All this talk about redds made me think of the next yuppie crusade that is gaining momentum on social media...despising man made rock piles and how it is destroying the ecosystem.

What?

Chaz wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

Fish have scales not feathers, only birds have feathers, and even though old-timers called fish bucks and hens, it was never correct to call them that.

Redd rapers jam, no problem, calling a fish a hen, shame on you! Anyway, for the jam, if anyone knows a place that is easy to access the redds I would appreciate it. I don't like to walk far for my redd raping.

Back