Familiar Waters - Outdoor Channel

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

On right now (7PM) - Erie Steelhead fishing.........

taping it on dvr ;-)

My favorite show!! We usually get a block with that and TU and fly fishing the world. Our cable cut me off for a bit. So not happy. Saw John Wilson and Joe Humphrey fishing for record browns and about everywhere and with anyone I'd be happy to fish next too. So glad our cable pulled the shows up again.

Familiar waters is my favorite FF show on TV. I've seen him fish the Erie tribs in OH before, but not the PA tribs. I've seen enough repetition of the ads that I might someday book a trip to his sponsor "Rainbow King Lodge" in Alaska.

I just watched it and it was enjoyable, im just confused by one thing. Do people from Cal. really consider PA the "midwest"?

I missed most of it,what was the guide service he used? Sure didn't look crowdwed as most reports say it is.

I like Familiar Waters, it is second behind TU's On the Rise.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I just watched it and it was enjoyable, im just confused by one thing. Do people from Cal. really consider PA the "midwest"?

I caught that too. The TU guy looks more like a Californian than he does. He looks like a hardy Michigan boy. He has a neck like a serious defense man. I do enjoy watching him fish though he does have some really good skills. The TU guy is lacking in lots of areas fishing wise but I really like the fact that he asks questions as to why, how and when. Great show as well. Both shows are 5 *****'s in my book. Can never have too many shows about fly fishing.

I also thought....that dont seem so crowded...maybe i should go. Then I thought it probably wasent just for the show and I would get there and 500 people would be around me.

Ya i enjoyed the TU show about Henerys Fork in Idaho. I thought both were enjoyable. Your right you can never have too many shows about flyfishing. Prehaps that guy kept wanting to say Mid-Atlantic but rather came out Mid-West.

I sure dont see PA is the midwest ;-)

wetnet wrote:
He looks like a hardy Michigan boy. He has a neck like a serious defense man.

Close, but no cigar - he was a quarterback......

http://tightwad-hill.blogspot.com/2006/12/50-greatest-golden-bears-19-mike.html

Here's his website...

http://www.troutguys.com/index.shtm

wetnet wrote:
The TU guy is lacking in lots of areas fishing wise.

Uhhhhhhh, no. If you mean the show, well then I'd have to agree.

http://www.telluridevisitorguide.com/tellurider/profiles-Frank.asp

Well I owe that guy my most humble apology! He is the most non-assertive flyfisherman I have ever witnessed.He acts like he knows nothing and will never be the casting double for "The River Runs Throught it part 2" Actually no one should. I don't like that movie. It's sad!

I think that's why I like his show. He acts like just anyone can be there and catch fish. He has such a soft voice and seems too polite to be great. That is why I don't miss his show! It would be such a pleasure to meet him.

To Frank: My most humble apologies!

Hey are you helping out at the Youth tryouts in Lamar in July? I think I'll be helping cooking for the crew. It would be nice to finally meet you. Send me a PM if your going.

Hi wetnet - PM sent. I'd really enjoy helping out if I can get the time off. Most of the Team staff is retired, and they just don't understand that some of us still have to work. I do miss those guys a lot - they're really good folks. One day :-( , I'll get to retire and fish all the time with them.........

I honestly haven't heard of this program until this thread was created. I'm going to have to get up at 6 tomorrow so i can watch the Elk Creek River episode.

Just to clear things up regarding the Midwest mystery, in the beginning of the show he was talking about how his West-Coast Cali snobbery was aroused at the thought of fishing steelhead in the Midwest and the northeast—which he certainly was able to overcome. I think the deal was (and I have the inside scoop here because it was my brother's flyshop--Chagrin River Outfitters--that guided him for this episode) that they ran all over eastern Ohio that morning--technically the Midwest--trying to find clean water. They finally wound up on a piece of private water on Elk that my brother and I have access to guide on--hence the lack of crowds--and by that time, I'm not sure Mike knew what state he was in. If you're interested in fishing that piece of Elk, contact Dan or Justin at Chagrin River Outfitters—the website is www.chagrinriveroutfitters.com.

And I agree with you guys, his is a good show—we have so few of them anymore—and he is handy with the whippy stick.

I can't stand comcast no outdoor channel for me. I can only get vs :-(

Only reason I get it is because its part of the digital cable package.

I think they should extend this show to an hour. 30 minutes of fly fishing is just not enough...

Every time I catch his show he's down in the Florida Keys or similar area. I do find it an enjoyable show though because he does kind of seem like the "guy next door".

Lots of good fly fishing shows on the Outdoor Channel (Fly Fishing Profiles, Fly Fishing the World, Familiar Waters, etc.). Usually you can most of them on one day.

It's a little disappointing that they went to private water and didn't share that with the viewers....I wondered why there wasn't anyone else around.

Also found it odd that they never identified what they were using...Mike has a habit of calling whatever he is using "bugs". Last week in Alaska his "bugs" were actually a double bead rig.

Still, I enjoy the show, especially when the winter doldrums hit.

Back