Falling Spring

maineflyguy

maineflyguy

Does anyone have any insights for me about the Falling Spring? I am tired of seeing big trout and throwing every fly I carry at them...

Thanks

maineflyguy

If Fishidiot doesn't chime in, send him a pm. He's very knowledgeable about FS. But if you're tired of seeing big trout and throwing everything at them, FS might not be the right place for you. Good luck if you go.

I'm told by multiple sources that a bread fly will do the trick, especially around the bridges.

The rainows will hit that kind of stuff, but not the large browns he seems to be talking about.
There is no trick to them other than not letting them know you're there, which is a tougher trick than usual on Falling Springs. It seems you get into the perfect position, but then you can barely make a cast.
You're up against a hard stream to fish, smarter than average trout, and the dog days of summer. All I can really tell you is.....
persistance.

i'd also check with Mike Heck who guides out that way and posts on this website. another good website is limestoner.com...

jeff

Thanks Biggie.

Maine,
If there's a secret to Falling Springs I sure don't know it. As Squaretail suggests, serve up some perseverence and get to know the stream. It's definitely technical water. The rainbows outnumber browns by about two to one but the bigger fish are usually browns. The fact that you're seeing 'em is a good start. Often, big fish will lay up in the same section or run in FS for years and you eventually get to know them and their habits. FWIW, Cumberland Valley limestoner trout are mainly bottom feeders. Terrestrials work well on FS but if you've got a hankering to tangle with the big ones, be patient and have lots of scuds and cress bugs. Bring a folding seat, park yourself in a meadow and watch the water. Eventually it will all come together. If they were easy, CV limestoners wouldn't be famous.

Thanks for all of your input. I'd love to trick one of those hogs. If any of you fish FS, I'd like to tag along - I am a recent transplant and looking to find some others to wet a line with.

Mike, any chance you'd be able to fwd that PM???? ;-)

Back