Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: FYI - wild trout ID

From Ohio
I believe that second "brown" is a tiger also. I think the PAGC is stocking them. I have caught several this year (but none in years past):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They also stock golden trout, I doubt many, if any of those are wild.

Sort of cheapens the experience IMO, stocking all of these circus fish.

Posted on: 2006/10/26 23:10

not to cause a fecal storm, but on the picture of the wild trout there appears to be a blue spot behind the eye.

Posted on: 2006/10/27 8:48

From Lehigh Valley
Not to contribute to the "fecal storm", but the picture of the fish that I posted from the McMichael's may indeed be a tiger trout. I never even noticed, since it doesn't look much like the pics of tiger trout I've seen before. The giveaway is the squiggly markings on the upper side of the fish that look Brookie-esque. The PFBC says that they sometimes stock tigers when they stock brookies, and the McMichael's was stocked with brookies a few weeks before I caught that fish this year. Kudos to all that caught my mistake. I picked that picture because that fish had the stubby fins and freshly clipped adipose fin that are common on freshly stocked fish. There IS actually a wild version of the tiger trout, but they are very rare. Do a Google search for tiger trout - interesting stuff. If you look carefully enough, you may even see a picture of our very own PA Trout VP, Chaz McDonald, holding a tiger trout.

Posted on: 2006/10/28 0:06

From Lock Haven, PA
Oh just so I don't confuse anyone because I might have but I believe there is no such thing as a wild palamino or golden trout...THEY DO NOT EXIST! But if they did thats what one would look like in the picture I posted. It was a hatchery excapie when it was really small and spent at least a year in a class A wild trout stream. There were a couple of those little guys around in the one small stream my brother and I fish but from what I know they no longer exist. I'm sure the herions have fished them all out by now considering you could spot one in the water at about 30 to 40 yards away. The whole hole would be glowing yellow. So if a genetic freak like a golden trout or palamino can color up and have perfect fins, a rainbow can color up and regrow fins (a Fishing Creek rainbow after being in the stream for a while will have all perfect fins that are extremely pink with white tips and a brillant pink strip down the side and I guarantee there is not a prettier rainbow out there), and a brook trout can color up and get just about identical to a wild one then I still can't see why a brownie can't do the same. I've also experienced especially in Spring Creek wild browns that do not color up and actually are very pale in color with no spots. I know some excape from the hatchery but I've encountered these a long ways from the hatchery and well before the flooding in 2004 that allowed so many to excape. I've also encountered a few in Fishing Creek where it is not stocked that are pale with no red spots or marking on the fins. I'm sure they are wild trout especially in Fishing Creek because of the locations I've caught them.

I will have to look for the blue eye spot...it might be the only TRUE way to tell if one is a wild brown or not. Just going on color is not always true and I'm not sure about this blue eye spot but I'm going to be more observant and find out.

Posted on: 2006/10/28 23:37

here is a good example of a Wild Brown I recently caught on the Saucon.... notive the blue mark on cheek

After reading the PA fish survey from a couple of years ago...this guy is one of the bigger ones in the system

can seem to get this to upload ....sorry!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22 ... WildBrown-SauconCreek.jpg

Posted on: 2006/11/5 7:26

From LV
Actually I was talking to the Local biologist a couple of weeks ago and he said there was only one stream that he ever surveyed and found a reproducing wild golden rainbow in, it was Cold Run. I was there yesterday coincidently, and caught a wild rainbow there, I thought it was a bit strange having fished there many times and never even caught a stocked bow there.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 7:55

From LV
All I know is that on the West Brnach of the Perkiomen, where I participated in a survey by PFBC, is that we found fish caught in the last survey that sill had not grown back their fins in 2 years.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 7:59

I thought the article's description of wild vs hatchery browns was interesting. It gave this description of the hatchery browns:

Domestic stock: A large-headed, somewhat slender trout, usually dark brown on dorsal surfaces and silvery to pale brown with heavy black spotting on sides and dorsal fin, often with slightly paler spots on the upper half (and sometimes the lower half) of the tail. The spots are often of an irregular shape (and may even be connected toward the tail). As these fish "color-up" in streams, the sides become a bit more yellow and spots below the lateral line develop an orange or orange-brown color. As fall approaches, the fish darken (especially males) and the entire lower half of the body may be washed in deep orange-brown. These fish rarely develop any true red or crimson anywhere on the body and their fins are usually dark.

The stocked browns usually do have these irregular dark spots, as opposed to round spots, and on a light background, and they don't have much brilliant red color. So its a pretty good description of the strain stocked by the PFBC. But browns with this appearance are also found as wild, reproducing populations in some streams, particularly some of the larger limestone streams in central PA. In some of these streams you will find browns with the irregular spots all over the body, not the round spots, and on a light background, not that deep buttery yellow, and without red spots. But if you catch fish like that, you can't assume those fish came from the hatchery. Some streams have quite good wild populations of these browns.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 9:27

From Lewistown
Whether or not a fish's fins will grow back or not depends on how well the "clipper" completes his or her job.
If it is done correctly the fish's fins will grow back within a matter of 3 -4 months.
If it is a botched job, the scarring will be too severe that they will never grow back. I have caught fish where the clipped fins are infected and swell up like leechs.
Fish have about the same regeneration power as humans.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 10:26

From Lock Haven, PA
Finally someone agrees with me that the fins can grow back. I'm sure its not true in all cases though but they can grow back. I was looking through some of my pictures of the brown trout I've caught and most of mine do have that blue spot or a faint blue spot behind the eye. Even the real pale ones I've caughten out of Spring Creek seem to have it but I also noticed in a few of the pictures that I know are stocked browns seem to have a dark spot but its black and the ones that I know are wild fish it seems to be more blue or blackish blue.

If a golden rainbow reproduces their young would just be rainbows right since thats really what they would have been without the fish commission playing the mad evil scientist or would their eggs be steral and not hatch like a hybred? I know Fishing Creek can have wild rainbows especially on the stretch from Cedar Run to the 220 bridge.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 13:16

From Mansfield, PA now, Bozeman next year
First of all, the fins are the way you can tell if a fish is wild or stocked. The fins will still be noticibly messed up if you know what to look for. Stockies will color up to they go into a breeding mode as well even if they were born in a hatchry. And finally paliminos can not reproduce they are steril and stocking them should be forbiddin. No serious fisherman should even enjoy the look of such an abomination.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 17:05

From Lock Haven, PA
Just because a trout has perfect fins does not make it a wild trout especially if its a stream gets stocked and is class B or better. Fins will regrow, color up, etc I'm beginning to think that the blue spot is the way to tell although I have a picture of a wild trout that I can't see it on and I'm sure its a wild trout from where it was caught at but it could just be the way the picture was taken. The trout in the picture for my avitar has the blue spot and I knew it was a wild brown from where I had caught it. I also checked out some that I know were stocked browns and I noticed they still had a spot there on some of them but it was completely black and seemed to lack any blue tint. PERFECT COLORED UP FINS DO NOT PROVE ITS A WILD TROUT BY ANY MEANS ACTUALLY COLOR OVER ALL DOES NOT PROVE ITS A WILD TROUT EITHER. YES MOST WILD TROUT ARE COLORED UP BUT A STOCKIE CAN LOOK THE SAME I'M TELLING YA. I'm going to convince you guys sooner or later lol this is my goal for next season...gives me something to look for now when I'm fishing although I don't fish stocked streams as much anymore.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 18:32

They are probably decendents of trout from past stockings that were in the stream long enough to spawn and reprodcue to a certain degrees, I knw in my home watershed I see 2 distinct strains 1 very colorful and 1 that is very silvery, the stream hasn't been stocked since the 70's so they are not stocked fish that reprodcued recently. But with the heavy stocking of the past a few fish may have reproduced and been successful at it, which is not very common at all. I still think that fish that guys call holdovers aren't really holdovers at all but a few wild fish that inhabitat our some marginal streams.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 7:50

No one said anything about Palaminos, we're talking about golden rainbows, there is a difference, Golden rainbows are a color variant of the rainbow trout, Palaminos are a hybrid between golden trout and rainbow trout, and because they are found in the wild in some streams in California they do reproduce in mixed populations, however, they seldom use the same water to spawn so it is not likely that they will inter spawn. As for Golden Rainbows, which is what PFBC currently stocks, they don't last long in a stream environment, they can spawn but seldom do, that's why you don't find them in the wild.
One last thing when trying to identify wild vs. stocked, some of the clubs stock fish in streams that because of the rearing facilities environment the fish look like wild fish but with duller colors. This is probably a function of spawning stock used and diet in the hatchery enivronment.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 7:59

Re:

“Whether or not a fish's fins will grow back or not depends on how well the "clipper" completes his or her job.
If it is done correctly the fish's fins will grow back within a matter of 3 -4 months.”

and

“Finally someone agrees with me that the fins can grow back. I'm sure its not true in all cases though but they can grow back.”

I don't know whether they grow back or not, and have an open mind on the question. Maybe I missed this in another thread, but why do you think the fins grow back? Have you read this somewhere, or do you have some observations or experience supports this idea?

Posted on: 2006/11/6 9:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com