Euro Nymphing

atlantisboy911

atlantisboy911

I have been reading lots of posts on another forum on Euro nymphing and how it is a superior method of catching fish on nymphs, however nobody actually says exactly what the method is.I know it involves using very long leaders and an anchor flies with droppers a curly indicator and using 10ft 3wt rods.

I am intrigued, so if anyone here uses this method I would love to hear more about it, what type of flies , leader construction and strike detection.A;lso I would like to hear opinions on how good this method is.

I have seen a few of our members on this other forum so I'm sure someone here must have a clue.

Thanks

Jules

Its my understading that whenever your "high sticking" your really doing some kinf of euro/czech/polish nymphing. There are alot of methods, all that really changes is the leader setup and how the multiple flys are attached. I also beleive there is french nymphing, but for the life of me I dont know how you fish with both your hands in the air...

Google Czech nymphing. There is a huge amount of info readily available out there. You may not be finding info if you are searching "Euro Nymphing" as that is a generalization of a bunch of methods. Study and fish Czech first, then Polish. I don't know a lot of folks in US adapting French nymphing.

The method is amazingly productive and quite enjoyable with the correct set up.

If you have questions after reading all the resources on the web jet ask.

BTW, good one surveyor06!

Pretty much high sticking with a long leader, rod and weighted nymphs. As suggested, do some searches. I wouldn't say its superior, but its definately an effective method to fish broken water.

Here's an article that might provide a bit more insight into the various techniques.

If you'd like to learn more, this is a great place to look:

http://www.troutpredator.info/

Aaron Jasper owns that site, and he knows his stuff! He posts here once in a while under his real name.

This site is also pretty good. Alot of competition guys on there.

http://troutlegend.com/forum

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Here's an article that might provide a bit more insight into the various techniques.

If you'd like to learn more, this is a great place to look:

http://www.troutpredator.info/

Aaron Jasper owns that site, and he knows his stuff! He posts here once in a while under his real name.

Yes troutpredator can teach you other things as well. I'm surprised Heritage, knowing past history. :-?

I'd recommend Troutlegend and Bluequill.

Having seen Aaron's presentation, I'd say that his take on euronymphing techniques was pretty clear and concise, and he briefly had me interested in trying it out.

'til I remembered how boring it was.

i like the high sticking method for some reason i get more hookups that way than when indy fishing i guess i just can feel it better even with steelhead fishing i do better high sticking now i have yet to try czech method and or euro method i know they are all similar but different i know with the czech style you use a different leader and are slightly pulling your flies through the current but never faster than the current (which is tough)czech
more czech
euro misconceptions
all of the above
suprisingly there isnt too many "euro" nymphing sites out there
ill stick with american born high sticking for now

Don't over complicate nymphing, Euro or any other. The Czech's knew how to weight a nymph and knew strike detection. That's it! You can add some bells and whistles later depending on where you are as an angler. You didn't mention what you've already done vs. what you want to achieve.

I use a weighted nymph on the bottom with a curly indicator and usually add a 2nd nymph depending on the water levels.

wetnet wrote:
I use a weighted nymph on the bottom with a curly indicator

He makes indicators? :lol:

BTW - Thanks for the PM...

Attachments

• curly.jpg
    curly.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 4
Thanks everyone for the info, I already know about czech nymphing and it is on the Trout Predator website that I have been reading about Euro nymphing as a different style but as I saif I have yet to find an actual description of the actual fishing method and how you use an 18ft leader and does the coiled strike indicator sit on the surface or is it held in the air as if you are high sticking.

I fish with indicators and without when fishing close in , I was just intrigued buy what Aaron described as a killer method.

I will keep searching.

Thanks again.

atlantisboy911 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info, I already know about czech nymphing and it is on the Trout Predator website that I have been reading about Euro nymphing as a different style but as I saif I have yet to find an actual description of the actual fishing method and how you use an 18ft leader and does the coiled strike indicator sit on the surface or is it held in the air as if you are high sticking.

I fish with indicators and without when fishing close in , I was just intrigued buy what Aaron described as a killer method.

I will keep searching.

Thanks again.

The French “curly” rig is diagrammed on page 21 of this PDF:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

The curly rig is looped at the end of a 7-12’ tapered leader. The Curly Q sits on the water. This rig is a great way to fish small nymphs in skinny water. I have messed with it a bit. I put the CQ at the end of my furled leader and use 5-7’ of usually 5 or 6x tippet below the CQ. Keep your leader/tippet tight to the fly to see strikes and keep your rod a around 10 o'clock (not like high sticking). You can then raise or lower your rod a bit to adjust and keep tension on the line.

Give it a try.

Tom,

How does 5-7' of tippet turn over at the end of a furled leader/indicator? I'd imagine that takes some getting used to.

Thanks Afish, I'm going to give it a try.

By the way Afish , that PDF is excellent!

jayL wrote:
Tom,

How does 5-7' of tippet turn over at the end of a furled leader/indicator? I'd imagine that takes some getting used to.

It turns over with lightly weighted nymphs, but it is actually more effective if it lands in pile making it sink quicker.

I've tried the CQ using Stren Gold. I find it hard to see many times with the glare on the water. In that case I rub a little Strike Putty (orange) at the leader tippet junction for better visibility. I'm still looking for a more visible mono line for the indy.

Did you try Amnesia? The stuff glows. I'd give you a piece, but I just have 25#. Might be too heavy for your purposes.

jayL wrote:
Did you try Amnesia? The stuff glows. I'd give you a piece, but I just have 25#. Might be too heavy for your purposes.

Amnesia is great for visibility, but I understand (given the name "amnesia") it is very limp and doesn't hold the CQ. Also I'm not sure if it comes in a small enough diameter.

Good points.

I have read that you boil the line in vinegar water, then freeze it. I'd imagine that Amnesia might regain its memory in that situation. I might give it a shot.

Back