Erie locals... How bad is it?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

From all the recent reports, and looking at the water levels, it looks bad. I've got another big trip planned with 15-20 guys this weekend and it looks pretty bleak.

Ryan

Ship em up to Pulaski.

I'll meet you at 10pm Friday at the Dunkin Donuts. :)

I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind Jay.....

Also... since things are so low, will the smaller "mile" streams be fishing any better than the bigger ones... or are the all looking pretty bad.

Flip n fly had luck on 16 mile last saturday.

How long of a trip would pulaski be for us?

I-90 E
357 mi

5 hours 49 mins

from my house. That is not unbareable.

Is it worth it Jay?

Millertime wrote:
I-90 E
357 mi

5 hours 49 mins

from my house. That is not unbareable.

Is it worth it Jay?

Only an hour longer than the drive is for me.

Yeah, I honestly think it's worth it. I much prefer the salmon over Erie.

RY-- I think this weekend won't be a good one IMO.

I am frankly disappointed with numbers of fish in the southern end of the streams and its November. Others have said that a Nov. run could be probable and kick some things up.

If you do go, good luck. Go small on tippet, and try to strike aggressive.

The mile streams show their strength with high water. Much more than the others. When its low, Elk is the best option up there.
Hate to say it, I would cancel on Erie for another time.
There were fresh fish coming in all the way thru last March, and not just Jacks. Its not like you'll miss the run.
I'm sending the empty box out to groove tomorrow by the way. Thanks again.

hey squaretail, I looked in the jacket and there is a pair of fingerless gloves and some glasses. I'll send it out as soon as I get the box.

Ry,

I am usually very ambitious and can find fish in low water...I actually cancelled my day off and trip for tomorrow because of the water conditions...

Everyone one of us better start the world shaking with our own rain dances...this is ridiculous....

Boss

I was just on Elk today and it is EXTREMELY low. Even the larger pools that reliably hold fish are marginal now. There is very little flow. But there are fish in there. Hopefully ull get some rain within a day or two...

Sounds like a perfect oppurtunity to catch one of those big babies on a dry fly to me WHOA!!!! nevermind go to Pulaski or stay home and watch Nascar , get a jump on Christmas shopping with your wife and kids , donate blood or a kidney , watch the Glenn Beck marathon on Fox. Anything but go to Erie.

im headding to erie saturday morning..... ill report back the inliaws live about 40 miles from there so it wont be a total loss i wonder if i shouyld try closer tot he lake on elk or just fish a mile creek?

Teh Ohio tribs are probably in decent shape if you don't want to go as far as polaski.

when I drove over the chagrin last night, it looked pretty good to me. A little low, but decent flow, and this was way south near Gates Mills. Grand is probably about the best it could get. Normally pretty cloudy. Conneaut creek? I don't know. Probably low, but you could hit it on the PA side. it drains a large area so might have enough flow. I'm betting there are fish that far easy.

Ohio's runs are usually better in the spring, but Conneaut Creek is stocked by PA.

Good luck this weekend flipn!

I'm gonna stay home and work. :roll:

This does, however, save my last 4 vacation days for better conditions. I'll give ya a holler when we plan on heading up.

Hey Greg (groove790) - Nice avatar!

Might be time to get familiar with fishing the lake.

How much more crowded does the lake get when the stream conditions are like this? I've fished the lake before but its got to be really bad now.

Realize this is just the last few guys on the end of a line of about 40 people.

Attachments

• lake.jpg
    lake.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
Conneaut creek? I don't know. Probably low, but you could hit it on the PA side. it drains a large area so might have enough flow. I'm betting there are fish that far easy.

I fished Connie last weekend. It was still a nice fishable flow but it was already pretty clear. Fish were spread out and can't say I did very well. Fortunately, I found a small pod right as the sun was coming up over the trees and the action was fast and furious for about 30-45 min. There was a lot of water that looked good that didn't produce. I was fishing OH though, I don't know what fish numbers are like in PA.

Kev

Back