Early mornings

A

AndyP

With this hot weather I usually only fish from 5:00am to about 8:00 am and had a question for others who do the same. Every time I get on the water at a real early hour I always convince myself to throw something big. Streamers/stonefly/hellgrammite since its still pretty dark. This rarely pays off unless the water is a little dirty but I cant help myself. Thats the formula right ? Sorta dark, early morning...throw big meat. Maybe tomorrow I'll just stick to a partridge and orange and wet ant tandem....

Andy, I always start out with my inchworm early in the morning and do very well. I only use streamers anymore in off color water. I think your partridge and orange will do you well.

Its too easy....I can't help myself....Fox, you should leave that inchworm alone first thing in the morning !

If there are big fish, then throwing meat at them early morning should work. But this time of year, one often encounters low, clear water too, and sometimes it doesn't matter what you use; they want nothing of it. This morning, caught some beaver dam brownies on black buggers. Tightest stream I have EVER fished..

AndyP wrote:
This rarely pays off unless the water is a little dirty but I cant help myself. Thats the formula right ? Sorta dark, early morning...throw big meat. .

Yeah, it is indeed sort of a formula - at least intuitively.
And it can be productive as Salmonoid has pointed out. However, speaking for myself, I tend to find that trout streams that get low and warm in the summer (most of our streams here in PA obviously) often don't fish well with streamers this time of year. Now, the limestoners are a different story - ditto with bass fishing. However, for conventional streams with summer flows and temps in the mid to upper 60s, I find they're best fished with skinny terrestrials.....even under low light conditions.

i am finding small crayfish to be the best choice for trout and bass. they are active early and late. 1" - 1 1/2" Also any cahill (cream, orange,yellow) sz. 14 seems to work to.

Use a woolly bugger hares ear nymph double rig

Fishidiot wrote:
AndyP wrote:
This rarely pays off unless the water is a little dirty but I cant help myself. Thats the formula right ? Sorta dark, early morning...throw big meat. .

Yeah, it is indeed sort of a formula - at least intuitively.
And it can be productive as Salmonoid has pointed out. However, speaking for myself, I tend to find that trout streams that get low and warm in the summer (most of our streams here in PA obviously) often don't fish well with streamers this time of year. Now, the limestoners are a different story - ditto with bass fishing. However, for conventional streams with summer flows and temps in the mid to upper 60s, I find they're best fished with skinny terrestrials.....even under low light conditions.

Agree with FI. The only streams and rivers that offer decent trout fishing in this weather are tailwaters, spring / limestone streams and the headwaters of native/wild streams in forested areas, if you care to hike in with this heat.

No shame in fishing for bass or panfish this time of year....in fact, it's a shame if you don't!

Andy,
I tend to agree with the guys who fish nymphs or some kind of wet flies. I do not have a lot of success with streamers, unless I am fishing for bass. I know some guys do, though. Anyhow, dangle a nymph if you can find water that is suitably cold for trout. Or, as others have said, hit the warmwater fish for a while.

Agree with Afish. It's smallies for me (with maybe a couple of trips to the Monocacy) until Sept.
Coughlin

Here's an early morning rainbow caught on a #8 black bugger. He actually took it so strong that I couldn't remove it thus the trout fillets. Quite a fight on my little #4 rod though!

Sorry, I tried to post a pic but it didn't work. The trout was 21" & weighed in at 5 1/2#.

Back