Driftwood Branch, Sinnemahoning

M

markhere

Anyone hear any new info regarding the train wreck and chemical spill this past June on Portage creek in north-central PA? Will the PAFBC be stocking the Portage and/or Driftwood branch this spring?

All I have heard is that the PFBC has concluded their investigation. They have not announced the results of the investigation, however. I don't know anything about their plans for stocking.

I would HOPE they would limit any stocking on Portage Creek to below Cowley Run. Although the Class A section was decimated; it should be allowed to come back on its own no matter how many years it takes.

My Dad lives in Sterling Run right along the Driftwood Branch of the Sinnemahoning. He is starting to hear stories of folks catching a trout here or there in the Driftwood Branch (generally near some unaffected tributary).

My guess is that they will flood the Driftwood branch with stocked fish this spring, but the poor things will probably starve to death without a good base of aquatic insects and forage fish.

I'll be curious to see the PAFBC stocking list when it comes out.

I agree the wild section of Protage Creek should be allowed to come back on its own.

Back