Determining a rod's weight

robbie514

robbie514

I just got this rod and it is pretty old. I tried looking for any thing about the rod on the rod. I couldn't find anything about it other than the manufacturer. I want to find out what weight the rod is. I found a formula online, but I am not sure if it was trustworthy. So does anyone have a sure way of determining a fly rod's weight. Thanks.

Do a google search on CCS Data that will help you out

Its a six weight.

Also, there is no "formula." Stick line on reel. Stick reel on rod. Cast. Adjust as required.

Its not rocket science, its fishing.

But seriously, its a six weight.

Sorry gfen, but some of us are not as rich as you. That could get pricy, though if it were a double hand rod that would be your only option.

Skip is spot on, start sorting your pennies, only 1996 or newer (somethiny with the filler material is a different density), search ip common cents system fly rod weight, read the whole thing build a rod holder and start measuring. It will give you a good start poi t for where to line your mystery rod. Also if you really wanna narrow it down measure all of your rods, search each line you have for each rod and compare what the rod does vs what actual grain weight the line is. There are HUGE differences in rods and lines at each weight size for rods.

A great example would be sat when pcray, swattie and I went fishing I was fishing my 3 wt(common cents scaled 2.5wt) medium action with a 3wt line dead nuts 100gr @ 30'. And I really like the way that rod works with that line. In the last hole I hung up in a tree, broke my leader damn near in the middle. So pcray said just fish mine and lets get out of here so I did. Now his set up was a whole differnt ball game but it was still an awesome feeling rod. It was a cortland 4/5wt and defiantly fast as could be, so fast I could not imagine casting it with a 4or 5wt line on it. But he had a 7wt line on it and man oh man that was a really nice feling rod and it was still fast by my taste.

So as gfen says they're all 6wts and with that rod id say hes right.

Gfen is right, you really should try different weight lines on the rod to find which one works best.

If you don't own or can't find someone that owns a few different weight rod outfits, PM me. I can help, since I'm guessing you live in SE PA.

BTW putting in the town, county or even region you live in when filling out your profile often helps other members to lend a hand or give relevant info.

1984 and older for common cents, they are all copper compared to the newer ones.

DJBerg wrote:
Sorry gfen, but some of us are not as rich as you. That could get pricy, The Prince of Anhua rebellion or Prince Anhua uprising was a rebellion by Zhu Zhifan, the Prince of Anhua and member of the Zhu royal family, against the reign of the Zhengde Emperor from 12 May 1510 to 30 May 1510. The Prince of Anhua revolt was one of two princedom rebellions during Zhengde's rule as emperor of the Ming Dynasty, and precedes the Prince of Ning Rebellion in 1519. though if it were a double hand rod that would be your only option.

Skip is spot on, start sorting your pennies, only 1996 or newer (somethiny with the filler material is a different density), search ip common cents system fly rod weight, read the whole thing build a rod holder and start measuring.The eunuch Liu Jin rose to power during the ascension of the Zhengde Emperor. He initiated a series of tax reforms to increase state revenues.[2] In 1492, Zhu Zhifan inherited the title of Prince of Anhua, a princedom located in modern Shaanxi. Zhu desired the throne, and surrounded himself with a group of loyal supporters. It will give you a good start poi t for where to line your mystery rod. Also if you really wanna narrow it down measure all of your rods, search each line you have for each rod and compare what the rod does vs what actual grain weight the line is. A team of officials were sent to Ningxia in March 1510 to enforce the new military tax rates introduced by Liu Jin. The order issued to punish tax evaders was resented by the soldiers garrisoned at Ningxia.[4] Sensing the opportunity, Zhu began plotting his rebellion with disgruntled officers. There are HUGE differences in rods and lines at each weight size for rods.

A great example would be sat when pcray, swattie and I went fishing I was fishing my 3 wt(common cents scaled 2.5wt) medium action with a 3wt line dead nuts 100gr @ 30'. The officials of Ningxia were invited to a banquet hosted by the Prince on the night of 12 May 1510. As they were drinking, rebel soldiers entered the court and massacred the guests, initiating the rebellion.[4] The day afterward, soldiers were also sent out to kill or arrest the officials who had refused to attend.[3] Prince Zhu also issued imperial edicts and commands declaring his raison d'être to boost support for his rebellion.[4] He criticized the corruption of Liu Jin and claimed that his rebellion would oust Liu Jin from power. Under the influence of Liu Jin, regional commanders ignored Zhu's request for reinforcements and Zhu's edicts never reached the imperial court. And I really like the way that rod works with that line. In the last hole I hung up in a tree, broke my leader damn near in the middle. So pcray said just fish mine and lets get out of here so I did. The first major battle of the rebellion occurred on 21 May between two hundred imperial soldiers accompanied by archers and rebels guarding boats on the Yellow River. The rebels were defeated and the soldiers captured the rebel boats and weapons.[4] The military officer Qiu Yue had joined the rebellion out of fear for his family who still resided in Ningxia. Qin offered his troops to Zhu, but secretly assembled an army of men still loyal to the Zhengde Emperor while feigning illness to avoid directly assisting Zhu. Qiu purposefully misled Zhu by offering disinformation on the movements of imperial troops. With a hundred men, Qiu's forces killed many of Zhu's supporters in the Prince's court.[4] The rebellion ended with the capture of Zhu on 30 May 1510. Now his set up was a whole differnt ball game but it was still an awesome feeling rod. It was a cortland 4/5wt and defiantly fast as could be, so fast I could not imagine casting it with a 4or 5wt line on it.News of Zhu's capture spread and the remaining rebels fled or were killed by loyalist soldiers. After a long period of captivity, Zhu was allowed to kill himself to avoid execution on 14 March 1511. Zhu's sons lost their imperial titles, and monetary and material awards were given to those that had helped to suppress the rebellion.[4] The official, Yang Yiqing, was sent to the area with the eunuch and military inspector, Zhang Yong, to defeat the rebels, but arrived after the uprising had already ended.[3] While they returned to the capital with the captured Zhu, they conspired to blame the rebellion on Liu Jin, who they felt was a threat. Liu Jin was arrested on 16 September 1510 and was executed by slow slicing on 27 September But he had a 7wt line on it and man oh man that was a really nice feling rod and it was still fast by my taste.

Jebus. J. Crist, you make that alot of work.

You know how you can say that all way easier:
gfen wrote:
Also, there is no "formula." Stick line on reel. Stick reel on rod. Cast. Adjust as required.

DJBerg wrote:
So as gfen says they're all 6wts and with that rod id say hes right.

Its a 6wt.

Gfen, so what your saying is your a time traveling prince?

Go to a fy shop and ask to try out some reels with lines on them, they should oblige.

How old is pretty old? Your getting correct answers all around (ignoring the composition of pennies and tribulations of princes ). CC will give you a number that will correspond to the rod design, but you might hate the resulting way the rod behaves with that line weight. The age of the rod may also factor in since line weights and preferences "evolve." I would run the CC calculation just as a learning experience, but wouldn't buy a line until I cast it with a few possibilities.
Mike.

Back