Day on the water

albatross

albatross

JackM, David, and I got a reasonably early start Saturday meeting in New Stanton at 6 AM for departure. We all saw rain on the drive to our meeting spot, but we had no significant rain thereafter. Wind was another story, but I'll get to that.

We spent the morning on a nice stream in Bedford County. The stream was up a little and slightly discolored from overnight rain. we saw a ton of craneflies in the morning and a few sulphers as the day wore on. Little surface activity from the fish unfortunately, likely due to less than ideal visibility for the fish. David and I each took a few fish here on nymphs and streamers. First photo below is David landing a small brown, second photo is a nice stocked brookie I landed. The wind was becoming a major issue by mid-day.

During the afternoon, we decided to make a run for the Letort. Neither David or I had ever fished the fabled Letort Spring Run, but both of us had it on our short list of must-fish streams. Jack has fished the Letort a number of times as he has business in nearby Harrisburg often.

We found the Letort running a little high, but not discolored except for that lovely chalk stream murkiness. We had to pick our times between wind gusts to make casts, but we found the stream very fishable. We were all fortunate to catch several fish. My fish came to a size 14 tan flashback scud, David had luck with small nymphs, and dry fly snob Jack got his on sulpher duns if I'm not mistaken. Jack was rather determined to fish dries as we saw few risers and few bugs on the surface on this blustery day.

I think I can speak for David in thanking Jack for a pleasant introduction to Letort Spring Run!

Attachments

• May9-1-David-brown.jpg
    May9-1-David-brown.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 9
  • May9-2-GreenWeenie-brook.jpg
    May9-2-GreenWeenie-brook.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 4
  • May9-3-letort.jpg
    May9-3-letort.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 4
  • May9-4-Albatross-first letort brown.jpg
    May9-4-Albatross-first letort brown.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 4
  • May9-5-JackM-letort.jpg
    May9-5-JackM-letort.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 4
  • May9-6-David-letort.jpg
    May9-6-David-letort.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 4
Great photos and nice fish, Greg. Looks like a great road trip!

Great photos, and congrats on cracking the Letort on your first try!

Sounds like a great day and your pilgrimage to Letort sounds like it turned out well (I fell in the last time I fished it with Afishinado and jayL). Your Letort fish looks typical: sparse but large spots.

Ill second that!
The Letort is no easy stream by any means. I hope you guys return to it another time. When the water is clear you will spook a lot of fish but youll see all the big fish that make you want to keep coming back!

David (FishIdiot),

I wish I had gotten a better photo of my first Letort fish, but I was anxious to get him back in. I understand you were in the park at an art show Saturday shame we didn't know or we could had come and bumped up the bidding on your art!

I almost got blow into the Letort on one particularly viscous gust...

Always a pleasure to pay homage at the font.

Greg nymphing a run at Yellow Creek.

A rainbow I caught at Letort. Look close.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE.

The rainbow portends the rising of the trout. And thereafter we began to see a few more "one-timers." As darkness slowly chased the wind from the water, the rising increased, but the hour was late and the day had been long....

Beautiful streams and fish, guys. Did you stay over near Carlisle? If not, that's one long road trip... what?... 6 to 7 hours on the road?

Thanks for suggesting and guiding on the letort, Jack. Great time. Got my first couple fish on the letort including one on a dry, so I'm a happy man!
The wind was brutal, but didn't seem to dampen the spirits when you have a fly rod in hand!!!
Check out the placement of the blue spot on the brownie...I've never seen it on the edge of the gill plate like this...I got a couple from the letort that had it there...

Attachments

• P5080148.JPG
    P5080148.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P5080156.JPG
    P5080156.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 4
  • P5080164.JPG
    P5080164.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P5080174.JPG
    P5080174.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P5080176.JPG
    P5080176.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 4
I would be willing to bet it took 3 hours one way. 6 total. Im guessing here

Albie got the biggest fish of the day from the letort. I happened to get it on film.
It can be so exciting that your mind loses memory of things like where the F you put your net!!!

and now for the conclusion!

Thingamabobbers on the LeTort- for shame. hehehe

Nice going on your first fish there.

It is on my list this year, I have never fished it. Glad to see you were rewarded.

Six hours on the road. I could only take about 5 with these two, so I napped a bit on the ride home. Thanks for driving, Alby.

Attachments

• route.JPG
    route.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
awesome fish in that video! That place looks so cool with all the lush green meadows around it, I have to go check it out sometime, its only a 1.5 hour trip for me I think

timmy, Letort is so famous no one fishes there anymore-- and I'm not kidding. Go have a look, you won't hurt it at all.

That was a cool video and a very nice trout. Sweet!

I do look a little comical trying to find my net... Thanks for getting that on video David. It was pretty sweet to catch a nice brown like that on such storied water.

I'll mention that David was fishing bamboo for his baptism on the Letort.

Love it! Great vids. Nice brown Albie. Getting one's first Letort trout is, in my view (and the view of many), a rite of passage for a PA FFer. Getting one on bamboo is better yet.

Albie,
Too bad you guys couldn't drop by the art show - that woulda been cool. Judging from the pics and video it looks like you guys were on the lower sections of the creek. I was at Letort Park in town which is closer to the FFO water.

Jack,
You're spot on about the usual lack of pressure. With the exception of Yellow Breeches, the Cumberland Valley limestoners are rarely crowded.

Great write up, photos and video guys, thanks for sharing. Haven't hit the Letort, but it's certainly on my "to do" list.

I think that'll be on my list to do next year. From all the pics and info on the Letort, that seems to be a VERY nice fish Alby. Congrats.

2hrs and 45 min.... hmmmmmm.

Back