Cumberland Valley TU

shipnfish2006

shipnfish2006

I know theres a couple of guys on here that are members of the Cumberland Valley chapter. I'm currently a member of the Falling Springs chapter, however, I've lived an hour away from them the last year and a half, which is preventing me from participating as much as I would like. I would really like to be an active member somewhere and the Cumberland Valley chapter is now my closest chapter. So I'm really thinking about a transfer. My question is what type of projects and events does the CVTU participate in? Also any background info I can get on the chapter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

shipn,
I am a member of CVTU - very good organization. They are comprised mostly of folks from around Carlisle and Mechanicsburg. I have been unable to attend a CVTU meeting for awhile but, the last time I was able to, these were held in Boiling Springs at Allenberry on Wednesday nights. CVTU covers a large area but has traditionally been focused closely on Letort. Being a Letort fan, this suits me fine. The chapter does work on Letort from culling excess vegetation to building deflectors. The chapter has also been involved in the purchase of land along this historic stream. CVTU does an excellent, and really the first, trout conservation youth camp. They have for quite a few years worked hand in hand with Adams Co Chapter in restoring Mountain Creek. I have worked more with the Adams guys on this project which primarily involves annual shovel work to put limestone in this stream which has had acid problems. I have been doing a macroinvertebrate survey above and below these liming points for several years and hope to finish it later this year.
The chapter website is: www.homestead.com/cvtu
President: Jim Hutcheson

http://cvtu.homestead.com/
You can go to Nationals site and transfer your membership, or you may remain a member of your current chapter and simply help out with CVTU activities.

Thanks for the info guys! I really enjoy the Falling Springs chapter due to the fact we get to work on my absolute favorite stream. However living an hour away I can't be as active as I want to be in terms of meetings and events. It seems like CVTU has a lot of good history and a lot of interesting projects that I think I would like to be a part of.

Back