Crossed something off of my bucket list

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Caught a trout off of a fly I tied myself from a rod I built myself. First ever attempt at a rod build. Its a fly rod/tenkara hybrid. 6'-6" 1 wt. Still some fine tuning, and a few adjustments and It will be just about ready. I wanted to test it first before I finish it.

Biggest thing that I didn't even think of was that the top section could come off. LOL I have a plan to be able to keep it together, and think it should work fine. But It was quite a feeling catching a trout on something I built my self.

Wanted to try something new, and it worked how I wanted it to. I am going to play around with the leader set up. This build is just for small stream brookies, and will primarily be used with small streamers and nymphs.

Attachments

• brookie.jpg
    brookie.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • brookie1.jpg
    brookie1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4
  • hybrid1.jpg
    hybrid1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
  • hybrid2.jpg
    hybrid2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
  • hybrid3.jpg
    hybrid3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • hybrid4.jpg
    hybrid4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
  • small stream 1.jpg
    small stream 1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 6
  • small stream2.jpg
    small stream2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 5
  • small stream3.jpg
    small stream3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 5
Did you post pictures of this rod on Facebook?

What makes it a hybrid and not just a tenkara rod?

I agree it looks like an ultra short Tenkara. I've never built a rod and I'm sure it is a very satisfying feeling catching a fish in a rod that you built. Should be ultra packable for sure.

What is the "handle" made of? Wrapped rope?

That is an awesome feeling. I built one rod myself about 10 years ago and still remember how cool it was to catch A fish on A rod I built and with A fly I tied. I still have not tried any Tenkara fishing but the rod you made looks great.

Millsertime wrote:
What is the "handle" made of? Wrapped rope?

It looks like paracord. Paracord will absorb water. A rope like amsteel would be better because it doesn't absorb water. If you get that paracord wet in the winter then it will absorb water and make your hand much colder over the course of the day.

redietz wrote:
It doesn't telescope for one thing.

Good point. I have a good buddy that only Tenkara fishes when he fishes at all these days. He says he loves it. I have tried it in the Juniata River with him and it was okay. I certainly like being able to strip line, shoot line, etc better and like the traditional for angling much better. All of you euro nymphers out there though a Tenkara rod is basically nearly perfect for that.

jifigz wrote:

All of you euro nymphers out there though a Tenkara rod is basically nearly perfect for that.

It's also great (when collapsed) for pushing your way through heavy brush.

Yeah the hybrid part is that it doesnt telescope. All of the tenkara rods out there are just too long for the type of fishing I do.

LOL the biggest design flaw in this build Is the face the top section can be pulled off. LOL I didn't finish the rod for this reason. Now 3-7" brookies its not going to be an issue, but snags and such. I am working on my solution in a few days. I have an idea down for what I want to do.

It is parachord for the handle.

In the meantime, check your rod joints OFTEN and carry spare sections!

Very nice.

Looks kind of like a slightly longer version of one of my ice fishing poles.

With a new tip and a couple of pipe clamps, it would work sweet with a 202.

;-)

Pieces of Cork I picked up at hobby lobby, they were really bright so I hit them with a lighter to darken it up. I like the toasted marsh mallow look.

Looks like a fun project.

It gave me the idea of cutting a green branch from a tree this spring and using that for "Tenkara."

troutbert wrote:
Looks like a fun project.

It gave me the idea of cutting a green branch from a tree this spring and using that for "Tenkara."

If you go early enough, you might even find some pussy willow which works good for this.

Interesting idea on the hybrid. Congrats!

Back