Crane Flies

Hook_Jaw

Hook_Jaw

Yesterday had a good day on Penns Creek when using Crane Flies anyone else been seeing them on there streams?

I have seen them when it was warmer.

Lately I have been using a cranefly pattern at the end of my rig with some success.

green post paracute also has been working.

I have seen these in my back yard as they usually appear every year in late, late summer/early fall. Or perhaps they're adult midges? Whatever it is, they resemble mosquitoes but don't bother humans like mosquitoes do.

Based on this, I'd have to say they're crane flies: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2129.html

Ah yes, the wallflower crane fly. I nearly always see them around streams. They're almost a background element that rarely gets noticed. Even as I write this, I realize I hardly use them. Funny thing is though, when I do I most always catch a fish or two. During slow days on top I usually search with an ant, beetle or caddis pattern... perhaps next time I should tie on a crane fly. In my humble opinion, crane flies are one of least known and fished fly out there. And probably one of the most effective.

I agree totaly i caught a trout yesterday on a sucker spawn lmao.

In all my time on trout waters I've seen two insects that will bring more trout to the surface than anything else. One is flying ants. The other is little yellow crane flies. OMG, when those tiny crane flies are hatching it's 100% pure mayhem. I haven't seen them nearly enough over the years. It's total luck to find them late in the day in late summer. A size 16-18 sulphur is close enough to fool trout when they're gorging on thousands of little yellow cranes carpeting the water. Some of my most memorable events happened on the big Delaware and Mud Run.

Both of those insects are so unpredictable and rare, maybe that's why trout go so crazy when they get a chance at 'em.

I've had some good luck with crane flies. I wouldn't say that they are a "magic fly" but you get some wild hits with them. And I just love it when a trout really whacks the snot out of a fly.

I see them fromabout April First through Dec. first. They vary in color, but I've seen them from the Lehigh Valley to Big Pine and all points in between that have wild trout.

Back