Common flies for the November Cold

mute

mute

Im guessing small 18-22 common nymphs and midges. Perhaps the occasional streamer will produce if its near the trout where he doesn't have to exert much energy?

Try dead drifting those streamers and buggers. Peeking caddis are killer in the winter. I'd go bigger below the surface. If he is gonna exert himself it won't be for a morsel, it'll be for a meal.

Ditto on the streamers. Caught my best fish at Valley in January, on a black zonker, stripped slowly by a nice undercut. A nice 15" brown. As a matter of fact, I know I do better at Valley in the winter than any other time of year. (But that isn't saying much!)

I like bunny leeches for winter fishing, they have done well for me, i carry white, black, olive and natural.

in fact the fish in my avatar pic was caught on a black bunny leech

Egg patterns and San Juan worms.

During the cold months I always do better with big stuff, unless a hatch is in progress. Look for BWO's on any overcast day during the winter and look for the Early Black Stone Fly any time from now until March. These along with the tiny black midges are your best bets for dry fly action, otherwise go deep with streamsers and nymphs.

Dead drift streamers. Also, tumble and slowly strip them down stream. In the super cold water, a natural minnow isn't shooting up through runs, but rather swimming and struggling downstream.

Dark buggers, purple ones work too. Black zonkers are killer as well.

When that fails, midges and nymphs, especially big stone flies if they are present in the watershed.

Buggars, eggs, sucker spawn. You also will get midge hatches on most waters during the warmest part of the day.

I tied up a million of a green wooley type pattern with a bead head on a#10 streamer hook, and thought I figured out the most attractive fly that a fish could love. It didnt interest any of those stupid fish. But for some reason it worked like crazy starting in Oct. A bugger isnt a real insect. I dont know why that color worked better. And damn it, can we take that inconvenient "H" out of whoolley bugger, or woohley bugger, woolhey. It needs americanized.

I believe the name is technically 'woolley bugger'. There never was an H. The fly was invented in america.

jayL wrote:
I believe the name is technically 'woolley bugger'. There never was an H. The fly was invented in america.

Or more exactly, in Pennsylvania by Russ Blessing from a little east of Harrisburg. The guy is actually a neighbor of my co-worker.

Back