Colossal hatch

jayL

jayL

http://gizmodo.com/5555462/what-is-this

I stayed in a fleabag motel right there in La Cross on the shore of the Mississippi last June when we took my daughter on a college tour. I must have missed the bug hatch...

Very cool...probably a mess to clean up if you live in the area...

a new weapon in the never ending struggle to be on the stream at the right time!

Does anything worth catching live in the Miss. there in LaCross. I know almost nothing about the area.

I've seen these images before, Nat Geo. usually captures mayflies hatches. It's pretty cool, but I suppose it could be messy when a hatch like that occurs.

The article doesn't say so, but those are probably Hexagenias, which are bigger than Green Drakes.

The upper Mississippi is reputed to be quite a good smallmouth fishery.

It would be an interesting experience to be out on a boat on the river during a hatch like that. You'd probably want some sort of wide-brimmed hat with a bug net to keep from getting too claustrophobic with that quantity of huge mayflies flying around.

It would be amazing to experience, though. Lake Erie has huge Hex hatches that show up on the radar, too, if anyone wants to check it out closer to home.

Troutbert, looks like you were spot on. Troutnut speaks of the Hex hatch up there as well.

TomGamber wrote
Does anything worth catching live in the Miss. there in LaCross. I know almost nothing about the area.

Tom, La Cross is in the Driftless region. I don't now if there is a spring creek trout stream dumping into the Mississippi from the Wisconsin side in La Cross, but I do know there is one across the river on the Minnesota side.

So possibly someone had a good time fishing that evening. Well, assuming he could see what direction the water was.

Tom, La Cross is in the Driftless region. I don't now if there is a spring creek trout stream dumping into the Mississippi from the Wisconsin side in La Cross, but I do know there is one across the river on the Minnesota side.

I'm not certain of that either but I'm sure that plenty of them likely feed the Wisconsin River, which in turn feeds the Mississippi. If I were headed out there, fishing the Mississippi and the Wisconsin River would be last on my list.

Back