College student needs your help

GeorgeA

GeorgeA

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm a senior at Indiana University who believes great fishing experiences shouldn’t have to happen by chance. Please give me your opinion on how you plan fishing trips. This 1 page, 11 question Google Forms survey takes 2-3 min to complete. Your answers about key features that are important to you when selecting a trip & captain (such as, fishing types, fish species, captain specialty, and boat) will help in the development of a website that matches anglers with great captains in customized, memorable fishing experiences. Thanks for your time! Happy catches. Google Forms Survey: How can angers find more memorable fishing experiences?

Survey completed.

Good luck with your project!

Survey complete. One suggestion: I know it complicates the survey, but I would include some directed questions that allow "free-form" answers. You would likely gain valuable insight.

I agree with the above comment.

However....
I tried to take your survey but could not. Many pa fly fishers see no use for a guide. You left no option for people who donot use guides.

In the end, success in fishing pa has more to do with rain, geology and location choices. It isn't a crap shoot and certainly experience will tell you how to have success. I understand it appears you survey leans towards guide use. Wish I could have helped

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I agree with the above comment.

However....
I tried to take your survey but could not. Many pa fly fishers see no use for a guide. You left no option for people who donot use guides.

In the end, success in fishing pa has more to do with rain, geology and location choices. It isn't a crap shoot and certainly experience will tell you how to have success. I understand it appears you survey leans towards guide use. Wish I could have helped

I just didn't answer the question that didn't allow to choose NO guide. if you read the bottom of the survey they said were developing a site that would allow you to more easily find a guide, should you choose to. so yeah, it leaned toward using a guide. I don;t think he'll hold it against you... :lol:

Yep totally understand Tom and read that but if I don't use a guide it would refrain me from answering like 7 of the questions along with about 4/5 the readership here.

My point was I dunno how helpful people will be here with his survey. I would think posting this on off shore forums would get better results.
Which he may have done...

However....

His website is geared toward those seeking a guide. Why would he include options for those who do not use a guide?

I think you are developing something good here. My only suggestion would be to add a rating/review system for each guide to help potential clients make an informed decision.

I tried to take your survey but could not.

Agreed. I was only able to answer a few questions and it wouldnt let me submit my answers without answering all of the questions

Agreed. I was only able to answer a few questions and it wouldnt let me submit my answers without answering all of the questions Posted on: Today 11:43

Apparently, like magic grits Toms computer works.:lol:

Agreed. I was only able to answer a few questions and it wouldnt let me submit my answers without answering all of the questions Posted on: Today 11:43

Apparently, like magic grits Toms computer works.:lol:

You sir are a cinema genius!

Nice survey, somewhat well rounded. Assuming you're also targeting those beyond the trout fishing sphere?

For example, if I'm doing a float for trout, I want a guide who's willing to accommodate dry fly preference as conditions permit and I don't care about boat amenities or whether it's a hard body drift boat or a framed out inflatable, just bring lunch if it's a full day, be steady on the oars, know the hatches and I'm good. But if I'm heading out into the blue water with multiple hour runs out to the canyons and back in, I might want to know what's on board to keep me entertained and comfortable if the sea's happen to come up, and I also want a captain who will put me into fish regardless of the 'target species' considering the outlay for the day.

Might've been nice to include a 'comments section for the above, but if you'r targeting a much larger audience than the good old PAFF, probably wise to keep the data easily sortable...

You left some important questions out. Your survey only relates to guides and the picking of guides. Guides are a useful tool when fishing new water, but you don't always have time to plan ahead. So being able to get the recommendations of a local shop is right up there in importance.
Mostly I don't use guides but when I do they have to meet certain criteria that weren't in your survey.

Nice little survey. I liked the questions in regard to the type/style of fishing the potential client is seeking. While some may hire a guide merely to be put on fish, others may have a preference for how they'd like to fish, or are looking to learn something new.

"Have you ever booked a trip with a guide/captain?"

No. For me, the survey should have ended there. The remaining questions are irrelevant as they contradict this one, yet are mandatory. The survey is a bit wonky.

The responses here have been friendlier than other Forums it was posted on. One starts with the letter #D

submitted. I use guides when I go on trips to new areas. The trips are not for the sole purpose of fishing but I want to take some time and fish. Typically, I do internet searches and go to local fly/fishing shops and talk to people. Then, I will hire a guide based on my conversations. I could see myself using a website like this as a source of information if I am on one of these trips. However, I didn't submit my email address because there wasn't a disclaimer stating it would not be shared. Good luck with your project!

Don

To find guide service it's pretty easy to do with a simple Google search.

Just search for "fly fishing guide service" and the stream or location.

For example "fly fishing guide service Delaware River."

Or "fly fishing guide service Yellowstone Park."

A guide can create a Facebook page for free, and a nice website at very low cost.

There is no need for them to advertise with some listing website.

Check this site . Fairly comprehensive in it's content.
http://nzfishing.com/
How does this look in comparison to what you had in mind? GG

Back