Cold Rainy Weather

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Several months ago I noticed a lot of people complaing about not enough rain and low flows throughout the state. This was all the way back before the season even opened.

It seems to me though, that we have been fortunate ever since, with steady rains just about every week throughout much of the state and as I follow the flows and weather a lot, a majority of the creeks are flowing at above average levels and it has been particularly wet and cool for the month of June. I looked at the weather for today and 56 degrees in State College with rain, with scattered T-Storms predicted throughout the week. Lows in the low 60's and probably colder in some places. It got down to the 40's last week up in the nothern part of the state where I was.

Seems like conditions have been favorable to all of the trout so far this year. At least we are getting a good amount of rain.

These are unseasonable "trouty" weather conditions. :-D

I can remember stocking Muddy Creek in March saying "this is the worst condition I've seen Muddy in in years". Since opening day, my claim has been that I have never seen Muddy Creek look so good. (for so long). My level of measure is ten years in the watershed.

Regardless, this has been one special spring season.

Jake,
Thank God for all the rain we got this year. Like you mentioned, I also thought the small streams would dry up after what I saw the last few years.
The trout have a great summer start this year. Maybe a lot of holdovers for a change?
Now if this wonderful rain can only do something for the Smallmouth in the Susquehanna, I just might start going back to church again.

1wt wrote:

Now if this wonderful rain can only do something for the Smallmouth in the Susquehanna, I just might start going back to church again.

This is precisely what the susquehanna needs for a successful spawn and fry stage of development. Too much rain or flooding could wipe it out again.

Dilution is the Solution to Water Pollution!

Before this rain started and we were reaching the eighties here, I was afraid the good part of the trout season was quickly coming to an end. The cool temps and rain over the next few days has me thinking trout season may stay good another week or two.

Maurice,
I agree with you. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Susky would recover to what it was before.
I love to catch trout with a flyrod, but the millions of eager to grab a fly smallmouth was like fishing in paradise.
I still remember the >100 fish days wading with a olive woolybugger!
Every week I'll do a Rain Dance......... it's raining right now!!

It definitely has been a rainy and cooler spring than in recent years. It's about time that we have an extended trout season. I remember hitting the smallie streams really early last year. It is also good for my canoe. I float the Schuylkill alot and it has been getting really low in recent years. When it was low, I couldn't canoe. This year is looking good for July.

Troy

Its been worse in recent years than this one based on the number of baseball games I've had to reschedule. We missed our first three games of the year starting April 30. Haven't missed one until the potential for tonight's.

We have had so many heavy rains in Florida its killed the fishing in estuaries.Same as Delaware bay or Chessie getting diluted with fresh water.Takes months to clear out as it flushes back and forth with the tides.
A month ago it was a major drought and the river was two feet lower.
I am too old to wait until next year-lol

Tom and Jack, good to hear someone from the west chime in. It has not been that rosey in SW PA. Water has been low in a number of the small wild waters. I haven't made it up to NW PA yet this year, but based off of pcray's report, at least some of the wild streams were very tough to fish with the trout holding very tight and in survuval mode. I guess the flip side is stormy Pittsburgh has transformed into a mecca of wonderful weather (for now).

The old "careful what you ask for" statement applies for sure!

This was from March!
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6910&forum=2

dkile wrote:
The old "careful what you ask for" statement applies for sure!

This was from March!
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6910&forum=2

You've got that right! I was one of the one's complaining about low water levels as well. I think I even started a thread about it. Anyway, I think enough is enough! I need the Lehigh River to get back to "normal" level so I can access a couple of streams I'd like to fish.

well, we're getting it now. tornadoes included...if you are south or east of me you are gonna get some rain and all the good stuff that goes with it. If you haven;t lately, check the radar. This is no joke...BTW I'm the little triangle...

Attachments

• big boomers.jpg
    big boomers.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2
1wt wrote:
Maurice,
I agree with you. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Susky would recover to what it was before.
I love to catch trout with a flyrod, but the millions of eager to grab a fly smallmouth was like fishing in paradise.
I still remember the >100 fish days wading with a olive woolybugger!
Every week I'll do a Rain Dance......... it's raining right now!!

Yes and it's still raining here in Enola, two days of heavy rain. It can stop anytime now. My poor wife can even get to cut the grass, starting to look like a hay field.

Did get some fishing in the other day, before it started!

PaulG

Paul, I need some advice on how to get my wife to cut the grass while I fish. Now, as it is, I have to try to fit both into my weekend. If your advice works for the grass, then we can get to work on painting the house next.

Jack

It might be to late for you, ya have to start crackin the whip early in the marrage!

BTW, she just got done painting the stairway to the cellar! I did warn her to be careful not to fall, on my way out the door to go fishing!

PaulG

I agree its been pretty good, but I also have had my eye on the Penns gauge and monthly rainfall/temps because I may get up to Centre in mid to late July. It looks to me like if you smooth out the peaks and valleys the flow on Penns is right around normal over June (not unusually high) and the temps for June so far have averaged 2 degrees below normal. So that is good, but not too far out of the ordinary. Here's hoping it keeps up. (and yes, I know that Spring will be a better bet than Penns at that time of year. I suspect BFC will be as well).

Actually pretty normal amount of precip all over PA YTD:

Attachments

• MARFC_NortYearly.JPG
    MARFC_NortYearly.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 2
Your chart shows that most places are rather low for the year.

This year I've only really fished Fishing Creek (Clinton County) since I'm kind of sick and tired of what they do at Kettle Creek with the stocking and continue to do little to improve stream conditions plus with the price of gas and having Fishing Creek 5 minutes away really helps. Its so funny that everyone mentions we've gotten so much rain this year but I have yet to see Fishing Creek effected by any of it. One week this year the creek was sort of up and muddy but still more then fishable. Even with all the rain yesterday the stream is still rather on the low side and clear. I'm so confused as to why Fishing Creek has hardly been effected by any of this rain. The one day last week we got 1.7 inches and had quite a bit before and after that too but did nothing to the stream. I was actually hoping it would get too high to fish to get some pressure off of it for a while and I'd have time to restock some of my flies I've lost this year. My dad has been up to Kettle a few times and the rain has helped out things there.

Back