Christmas Brookies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

My wife gave me a great Christmas present this year and let me sneak away from Dad duties and fish for a little bit on Christmas Eve.

I hit up a stream that I always wanted to try that I have seen while hunting. I scouted it a little bit while rifle hunting. I tied up some brookie streamers the night before. All this streamer is, is a size 10 Firehole competition hook, with some red lead eyes, a piece of white coyote fur for the belly, a piece of darker (orange/brown) coyote for the back. I then wrap over my thread with some dubbing. I pull the underfur out of fur, then use that underfur to dub. Super simple streamer, that takes maybe a minute or two to tie.

I like to use streamers on natives as they cant seem to get the hook as far in their mouth. Pretty much every fish is hooked right up front in the top of their mouth.

I only had about an hour and a half to work with so I jetted down about 300 yards or so to then fish up. The stream is tiny, and the cover was pretty thick on most of the stream with hemlocks covering it.

I hit a small pool on what looked to be the back side of an old foot bridge. I caught my first brookie on the trip there.

I saw a few little pools down stream and decided to walk about 80 yards down, before I started to fish back up again. My next brookie was probably the coolest I have ever seen. He was almost black. Not sure why he was so dark. The hole he was living in was a lot more open but that's not to say he didn't move into that hole. My thought was he resided under a rock ledge and maybe it was a way for him to camouflage, possibly the leaf litter in the stream made the water more tannic. I really don't know for sure, but it was definetly and awesome fish.

As I worked upstream the cover became a lot me dense. Was pretty much crawling up stream to try to be stealthy. But even on my best ninja like approach, I would still see some brookies ripping up stream, spooked.

I believe I ended up landing 7, and missing quite a few more. I think the ones I missed mainly just were nipping the tail. A few I would attempt to set the hook, and hit a branch, or have them on then when lifting them to me, would hit a branch and they would fall off the barbless hook.

None the less it was a great trip. I loved seeing all of the variations of color on the same stream. The one brookie, had almost a pink colored belly. Not sure if it was from spawning or what. These small streams are nice, as I literally only had my fly rod, a small glass container for my flies, and some flouro carbon. No waders needed, as you can just walk along the bank, and not have to risk hurting any spawning beds.

I think I may explore this stream a little more this year, and venture further down stream to see if it widens at all. I think I may get a 6' or 6'6" 2 weight rod, and pick up a redington zero for it. I think I may make my brookie set up just have 20# mono on it for the fly line, and then put a barrel swivel on the end, and put some 4# flouro. Most of the streams I fish for these guys, you cant cast more than 7-8' at a time anyway. Roll casting is impossible so you are almost flipping your fly in anyway. Still up in the air on it, but may go that route.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Some like Christmas Cookies, I like Christmas Brookies.

Attachments

• brookie1.jpg
    brookie1.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 17
  • dark brookie.jpg
    dark brookie.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5
  • brookie2.jpg
    brookie2.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 4
  • brookie3.jpg
    brookie3.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 6
  • brookie4.jpg
    brookie4.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 5
  • brookie5.jpg
    brookie5.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 5
  • brookie6.jpg
    brookie6.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 4
  • coyote streamer.jpg
    coyote streamer.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 4
  • brookie stream3.jpg
    brookie stream3.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 4
Man, that one looks like an expensive cigar. I guess with water so low, they have their whole bodies hidden in the dark recesses most of the day. Good way to spend the holiday!

"Christmas cookies and Christmas brookies..." :)

Good stuff - thanks for the motivation.

They are prettier than any Christmas Ornament for sure! I am amazed that they would hit a streamer of that size.

They love streamers. I know I may miss a few, but I hate when I use like a size 14-12 streamer and they take it a little deep. Or when I had used dry flies or nymphs in size 18-14. It just adds more time that the fish is out of water if I have to use forceps. Even with barbless it still added time.

THe bigger streamer, and wider gap almost prevent this issue all together.

I caught your twin in photo #2 down in the Smokies this past Spring. Before that, I had never caught a brookie so dark. The guy was about 9" almost pitch black save for the fins, tail, and a few spots with halos. That fish reaffirmed why I put the effort in that I do to find and catch them. Nice work with the pics and day out!

Just wondering why that fish was so dark? Genetic mutation for blending in? It threw me off a bit and I was really pumped. Probably the coolest fish of 2017 for me.

It was also neat to see so many color variations in one stream, and in only 300 yards of fishing. Some streams I fish, they are almost cookie cutter trout, and look almost identical. Ill definitely be doing more exploring on this stream.

I think the beauty of the fish, and the destinations to find them are what draw me to fishing for native brookies.

Looks like a good little stream, thanks for sharing. I think the dark brookies are simply blending in with surroundings, if they are living underneath something they will usually end up pretty dark. Sometimes it's REALLY noticeable like the one you caught. I don't think it's genetic, but it would be interesting to see if you put a super dark fish in a lighter environment if it would become lighter. I think it would.

sarce wrote:
Looks like a good little stream, thanks for sharing. I think the dark brookies are simply blending in with surroundings, if they are living underneath something they will usually end up pretty dark. Sometimes it's REALLY noticeable like the one you caught. I don't think it's genetic, but it would be interesting to see if you put a super dark fish in a lighter environment if it would become lighter. I think it would.

^Yes they would lighten or darken depending on the available light in their environment. Here is some info on the subject.

A brownie and a cookie makes a brookie.

lol Jack

Interesting read afish. I figured it would be due to its surroundings.

I read some info over the weekend about tannic water from streams with a heavy presence of pine trees/hemlocks. But the water was crystal clear and not stained. I thought maybe the leaf litter from some of the holes that were blocked may have stained the water a little or something as well.

That one brookie had like a pink colored belly as well.

Was a lot of fun, and glad I gave it a try. LOL but ever fish you caught you would have to move up to the next hole. I was kneeling back off of the stream about 5-6' or more and when I hooked one I had to stand up and walk over to land it. Often when I did that I could see 3-4 other brookies take off up stream.

I only saw 2-3 that broke the 7" mark though. Excited to try and get back there and fish the lower end of the stream, and see if it widens out.

If any of us ate something the size of what brook trout think they can devour, it would be a quadruple cheese burger with four one-pound paddies, a bun made out of a whole loaf of bread and a pint of ketchup for dipping. Those little fish are ravenous. It's a good thing they aren't as big as sharks!

salvelinus wrote:
Nothing like seven pictures of 3-4" brookies to get one excited.

Works for me. I like reading and seeing anytime as long as the person seems to be appreciating, learning, and or/growing. I agree it isn't the most exciting thing as I've caught tons of stunning Brook trout and fish of many kinds but then again what thrills one may not another.

Good work on exploring a new stream and finding some beautiful dark brookies.

I forgot about that thread, captain native! :lol:

Ease up salvelinus. If they’re not battered and fried with their heads sticking out of a McDonald’s fry container it really can’t be that bad. (Though those would have been the perfect size for that.)

Streams iced over in Germania already I assume. Ragging on a guy for actually fishing in this cold and having some fun, catching some Brookies and sharing it on here, and it leading to some good discussion on Brookies and their coloration is kinda like walking into The Waldheim and asking for a filet in a port mushroom reduction paired with a bottle of Napa 1978 Reserve. You just shouldn’t do it. And if you do, you should expect a certain response. Better to stick with the cheeseburger sub and a Busch Light.

And yes Ryan...that was a heck of a thread. Thread of the year nominee for sure.

Sorry to be the curmudgeon here, but pictures of fragile guppies that should be released as soon as possible...........

I see questionable fish pictures on here constantly. I once asked Mike Kauffman about pictures on here and his reply was, to paraphrase, the worst thing you can do for a trout is take it out of the water. But you guys keep on believing it's okay. Keep patting each other on the back for a job well done.

Back