Check the flow before you go!

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
When you make a decision where to go on your next fishing trip, always check the flows for the stream or river you are looking to fish.

Bookmark this page > USGS Streamflow PA

The page above gives near real-time reading of flows for nearly every PA stream sorted by major river basin and listed by region in the state. You can pull up this same page for any state.

The first number on the stream listing page contains the current gage height, next the current flow reading in cfs (cubic feet/second) followed by the long-time median flow for that date. Some gauges contain the current temp (the last number if present) in degrees celsius. When you click on the actual chart, the temps are converted to fahrenheit degrees on the right hand side.

Click on the stream or river and you will see a chart for the gauge height and flow in CFS. In the flow chart the long-term median height will be marked with a triangle. Clicking on the individual stream will allow you to track the flow pattern for the past week. You can also insert different date parameters to track the flow or temps for different time periods as well as past history.

After you fish a stream a few times, you will become familiar with how the stream fishes at what level. But, if you are not familiar with a stream, as a general rule, in the springtime with higher average flows, a flow close to or even a bit below the median flow is often good fishing level. In the summertime, when flows are usually lower, a reading near the median or a bit above may be a good fishing level.

Flow readings way above the median means high water conditions for wading and floating and possibly off-color water; you may want to look for streams in better shape. The same for the summertime conditions when low flow and higher temps are indicated in the charts.

Below are examples of the flow and temp charts:

Attachments

• Gage Height.jpg
    Gage Height.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Flow in CFS with Median Flow.jpg
    Flow in CFS with Median Flow.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Temp with Fahrenheit degrees on right.jpg
    Temp with Fahrenheit degrees on right.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
I have been doing this for years . I actually made a shortcut on my iPhone for the USGS stream flows. If you are interested in doing the same here is instructions on adding a shortcut on your home screen .

http://www.icaew.com/en/adding-an-iphone-shortcut

I have used RiverFlows on my Android phone. Has some limitations (only displays the past week of flows) but overall very useful. Also take a look at RiverLevels, which I just found and that allows anywhere from a daily to a 6-month graph, and also has a notification system you can configure to alert you when a particular gauge characteristic is met. Also just found RiverApp, which also allows you more granular gauge info and notifications; might be time to switch apps for me :)

On the iOS side, River Data and Rivercast are useful.

Some of the kayaking or whitewater apps also pull in USGS or AHPS data.

While there are not gauges on every stream (the USGS does not have infinite resources), if you have a favorite stream that does not have a gauge, you could always sponsor one. Or find a gauge on a similar sized stream (or larger stream) nearby and then correlate flows there with those on your favorite stream. For instance, a flow of about 300cfs on a larger stream that drains a good portion of a county correlates to about perfect fishing levels in smaller streams (unless all that rain fell in the headwaters, in which case all the smaller streams closer to the mouth might still be low and clear).

Have also been using this site for years. Especially useful on Streams that have a flood control dam like the Tully or if you are planning a trip. Also handy for seeing how far below median flow your favorite Southeast stream currently is.

The ability to check flows has become my most used tool for fishing. 20-35 years ago, ID just get in the car and drive 2-3 hours to find the little J, Penns, Loyalsock, etc blown out. The ability to check flows has helped me save time, money and avoid frustration.

Looking at the gauges is not enough. Learning trends on your particular water is critical. Let's say I plan to wade the Susky on a July Saturday morning because the flows look OK. I also have to check Juniata have, Sunbury gauge Wilkes Barre and / Binghamton gauges. We may have been dry here but they had storms dump 2" of rain in Lewistown. I have to know how long it takes for that to reach me or move above the area that will be impacted. Not only interesting but lifesaver

I have the APP. Love it!!

krayfish2 wrote:
The ability to check flows has become my most used tool for fishing. 20-35 years ago, ID just get in the car and drive 2-3 hours to find the little J, Penns, Loyalsock, etc blown out. The ability to check flows has helped me save time, money and avoid frustration.

Looking at the gauges is not enough. Learning trends on your particular water is critical. Let's say I plan to wade the Susky on a July Saturday morning because the flows look OK. I also have to check Juniata have, Sunbury gauge Wilkes Barre and / Binghamton gauges. We may have been dry here but they had storms dump 2" of rain in Lewistown. I have to know how long it takes for that to reach me or move above the area that will be impacted. Not only interesting but lifesaver

Agree 100%; however, in reflecting on my time on the water, some of my best trips have been the ones before we were so inundated with access to available data, where I just picked a weekend in June and went for it, whether it was dry or a monsoon. I probably should fish more and pay a little less attention to the data. I know I've rolled over many times in the morning, looked at some gauge data, realized it really hadn't rained much or any overnight, and gone back to sleep because I know the stream is not going to be perfect. Had I gone fishing, I'd still have enjoyed myself and still caught fish, just not fishing in ideal conditions.

Salmonoid, while I of course agree (that fishing is better than not fishing), the more common way it's used by me these days is WHERE to fish.

I used to be in your boat, and that freedom is fantastic. Don't take it for granted. I don't get out as much as I used to. Work, kids, house, and other things that can be summed up as "life". When I get to go, I've usually been preparing the opportunity for days or weeks. I got the honey to do list done, have requested the day off work well in advance, organized someone to pick up the kids till my wife gets home, etc. This was a commitment! I'm not gonna wake up and decide it's not worth it, and go back to bed. I'm going, regardless of weather or conditions.

But I do wanna maximize the opportunity and not spend all day scouting around before wetting a line. I'll have plans A, B, and C, and the gauges will probably determine the verdict.

Like Pat, I'm pretty locked into my work schedule and us the charts and data for where to go, not really when to go. I envy anyone that can just take off on a moments notice when things are happening.

With some knowledge of the streams I fish and data such as rainfall, flow, hatch reports, etc. one can make an educated guess as to where the most favorable conditions exist.

I almost always make my fishing destination a gametime decision based on what's happening right now. Sometimes it results in good fishing, sometimes not. But I'd rather fish a spring creek, tailwater or headwater stream at a better level than stand on the bank stripping streamers in the margins of a stream.

Back