Catskills

geangler

geangler

Heading up to the catskills the first week of june. will be fishing the Beaverkill and Willowemoc creeks of course. Would like to know if anyone is familar or has fished Callicoon creek before.
It looks like a nice side trip. There is a north branch Callicoon, and the east branch (main stem) Callicoon creek, according to NYDEC.
Any info would be appreciated.

I've never fished Callicoon creek, but I just returned from 5 days fishing on the Delaware river. great fishing. I wouldn't spend any time in that area without hitting it.

Dryfly guy is right. Callicoon creek is like the many streams you fish around here. Fishing the "D" is something special. The trout migrate up to the west branch when the main branch warms at that time of year. Depending if the water temps are still in the upper 60's, the main branch may still hold a lot of trout. If the water is too warm, head up to the west branch.

Fishing on the B-kill and WW is great, but don't miss out on fishing the big "D".

thanks guys, i did fail to mention we will be fishing the "D", i just wanted to know if anyone experienced the Callicoon. We will be up there for 7 days in june and would like to explore the Callicoon since its very close to our rental cabin this year.

Before the dams made tailwaters the Calicoon and its branches were the big rainbow streams in the Catskills and were a destination area. Now it's not fished all that much in the shadow of the more famous streams, but some locals still love it. It is an option if other places are crowded, particularly if you are close. First week of June is "Bug Week" and you may want a less crowded option, although the tailwaters will have the most big, picky surface feeding fish. Upper Willowemoc, Mongaup Ck or River, and little tribs can also become options for variety or peace and quiet.

IMHO, the East Branch is a better place to fish. Less crowds, consistent (albeit lower) releases, and plenty of fish. The upper part is like a giant spring creek - the lower river is like a monster Western river (if it is not to warm). Last Friday I had the big pool by Corbett bridge all to myself! The WB has been more crowded, but then again walking and mid-week fishing help a lot.

Back