Car Pool Page on This Site?

S

schrec

With the price of gas, what if the site would have a car pool section. We could post trip dates we are thinking of taking and ask for others willing to pitch in gas $ to join the trip. We get to share not only the high gas costs, but also companionship? I know many others live fairly close to me in the South Hills of Pgh. I always wanted to go with many posters but never have. I do regret that. I think it could be a GREAT resource in these troubling times. What do you guys think?

schrec

Feel free to PM me anytime but since I am unemployed I rarely fish on the weekends. Can never hurt to ask. Paul

I guess this goes under the heading of ``what goes around comes around.''
when I was in my twenties and roaming all around Pa. trout fishing my father would tell me how lucky I was.He said he use to have to ride his bike or take a bus to go trout fishing.He was just married and couldn't afford a car.
Yeah Dad and the snow was twenty feet deep in July.

You could use the SWAP forum, I suppose.

Schrec

( Car pool) not a bad idea, save on gas and meet some other posters from the site.

PaulG

I kinda like the idea too...

I am just trying to figure a way to make it work. Seems like it would be cumbersome to do it with a message board forum. Perhaps a page where you could add your name(profile) and your general fishing time availability for instance. Break it into regions.

Kinda like a bulletin board at work, thumbtack your iavailability and contact info for everyone or just registered users to see and then people could PM you to set up specific trips.

We could Make a general list in each region

SCPA

Maurice - York area - No weekend fishing
PaulG - Harrisburg area - retired, fish anytime

etc,

Just have to figure out how to get the profiles to link up with the name for a user.

This would also be helpful for out of towners coming to a region to hook up with local knowledge, flatten the learning curve.

Downside....could be a PITA with people PM'ing you all the time. And maintenance for the mods keeping hte lists up to dat would be a bear. If it would get used at all.

Would anybody participate be interested in seeing something like this? I know lots of folks don't even list their hometown.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would break it down by region and have like a sticky post with the information like Maurice shows above but also have posts where you can say "Going to Muddy Creek on such a date, who would like to go?"

Mo,

A car pool section is a great and “green” idea for the forum. I agree that a general listing of members would be a PITA for everyone receiving a bunch of PMs. I think the forum format would work well. The idea is to make the post like a classified ad.

For example:

“Looking for a fishing partner from SE PA to share expenses for a trip to the Upper Delaware (Lower west Branch or upper Main branch) on Friday 6/6. PM me if you are interested.”

Just my 2 cents.

I would like to add that anyone in the eastern half of the state can feel free to invite me along. :)

I've been real busy lately, but I'm usually willing to try a trip on the weekends. Just don't be crazier than me, or at least be charismatic about it, and we'll get along fine.

Most of us have listed, under our names, where we live. Many of us have met at the Jams. While a pooling section isn't a bad idea, some of us have already formed small groups that regularly fish together out of convenience and thrift. Several of us in the SW Pa have a kind of email chain...when someone is heading somewhere an email goes out to all in the group. Most times 3 or 4 of us can make it...sometimes not. I know Spector and Sal, by their reports and posts, live close enough that they do kind of the same thing. I don;t think a section like this would create an overabundance of PMs as someone else suggested. On the contrary, if small groups got together, because of a section that listed the region in which they live, they could communicate by the email listed in their profiles and send out a sort of "casting call" (pun intended)....

jayL wrote:
I would like to add that anyone in the eastern half of the state can feel free to invite me along. :)

I've been real busy lately, but I'm usually willing to try a trip on the weekends. Just don't be crazier than me, or at least be charismatic about it, and we'll get along fine.

jayl,

My friend and I fish a lot in the area. He lives near Coatsville and I live near Valley Creek. We are planning some trips to either Centre County or Upper Deleware after I am out of my cast. I'll keep you in the loop if ya want.

Sounds good!

Maurice,
I agree simple is better. KISS The last thing I'd want is to make work for the board's mods. What if it was simply a posting page like you suggested. Call it the Trip Page, or Casting Call as someone else had suggested. It would be the trip's organizer to arrange ride schedule/pick up... that sort of thing.

We simply post by region first, then by trip. Like:

SW Region

Trip to Slippery Rock to fish white fly hatch for bass
August 3rd
Leave at 3pm
Home after dark
Interested Riders PM schrec to arrange pick up

After trip date --- whenever the mods can get to it -- they simply wipe the posts clean.

Just a thought.

schrec

schrec wrote:
Maurice,
I agree simple is better. KISS The last thing I'd want is to make work for the board's mods. What if it was simply a posting page like you suggested. Call it the Trip Page, or Casting Call as someone else had suggested. It would be the trip's organizer to arrange ride schedule/pick up... that sort of thing.

We simply post by region first, then by trip. Like:

SW Region

Trip to Slippery Rock to fish white fly hatch for bass
August 3rd
Leave at 3pm
Home after dark
Interested Riders PM schrec to arrange pick up

After trip date --- whenever the mods can get to it -- they simply wipe the posts clean.

Just a thought.

schrec

Schrec, thats pretty much what the mods have been discussing behind the scenes. The only variation is there would be no forum or page dedicated to it.

Feel free to try it in the Swap forum. Keep in mind its only viewable by registered viewers. See how it goes.

Maurice

Back