Brush/Yard Waste Dumped Into Stream

L

limestone

Recently on several occasions I've witnessed people dumping brush and yard waste into a local stream. On one of these occasions I watched some guy dump 4 truck loads of brush into the stream. So I have two questions: First is this harmful to the stream? Second, is this legal?

Thanks

No it is usually legal to discard brush. First straight up, ask them if they have a permit to discharge. Some legally do. You might want to take note of their license plate first.

If they don't they'll play dumb so go through your locals first and if you don't get sucess go to DEP. If they don't help you keep going around the rosies until someome does something. Be nicely persistent.

As far as harmful I can't see the brush or know it's origin. I really can't give you an educated guess. Regular brush not chemically treated might provide some cover for areas that are without it.

Sucks to lose a fly on but no fish no need for them. Don't jump to conclusions just ask questions.

Here in the capital area it is not legal to dump stuff like that into a local stream. 2-3 yrs ago there was a problem with it and I remember something about excessive nitrogen actually causing a small fish kill in a small trib.

No it is usually legal to discard brush.

Sorry but is usually NOT legal to discard or discharge anything into the stream. I apologize for my typo.

There are some places that do allow it with permits. If they didn't where do you the sewage treatment plants discharge to.

I would be suspicious of anyone dumping anything into the stream and again get a license plate number and contact your local authorities.

Back