Brookies 5/14- with video

sarce

sarce

In fishing, sometimes you have good days. Other times you have days that you will remember for a very long time. I'd put this past Wednesday in that last category. For months, fellow board member Ryan (Brownie101) and I had been exchanging PMs about some of our local SE PA wild trout waters which I have been fishing for several years. However, I've spent most of the last two years in State College either working or taking classes at PSU, leaving little time for fishing my home waters. Ryan's interest in these streams really got my attention. It was only a few short years ago that I was in his shoes, a rookie fly fishing addict trying to learn everything I could as fast as possible, exploring the exact same nameless creeks.

Finally this week, everything fell into place and we were able to meet up Wednesday evening for a few hours of fishing on a little-known brookie stream. I had not fished here since 2012. Stream conditions could not have been any better, slightly high and just a bit off-color. I started off with a big golden stonefly nymph and Ryan started with a woolly bugger. We each caught a few nice brookies here and there, eventually switching to dry flies as we encountered some shallower runs and pocket water. Ryan was kind enough to let me take the first shot at some of the best pools and most of them produced fish.

It was getting late but we both knew of one last spot that we had to hit. Ryan told me that this last pool gave up an 11" brookie earlier in the year. So of course, it was my turn to catch it. For once, things went exactly as planned and the big fish took the stonefly nymph on the first cast! I honestly did not think it was much bigger than 9 inches until I got it to my feet. After releasing that fish, we had to part ways.

Here's the video I put together of the outing. Ryan caught more than two fish, I just didn't get them all on camera.

Hometown Brookies (youtube)

Ryan, thanks again for fishing with me, it was a blast! It really does make me feel better leaving this area and knowing that I'm not the only one who cares about these little streams. Feel free to add some of the photos you took.

Nice going guys. Real pretty stream and fish. nice vid as well.

GenCon

Nice video.

That was awesome! I will post up some of my pictures later tonight. I'm glad we got to meet up, thanks for going with me. Oh and don't worry, I'll watch over these streams for you! ;-)

My pictures from the evening:

The last two pictures are from 4/19/14. It's the exact same pool and fish that Sarce caught at the end of the video. Looks like he hasn't moved very far in a month!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for posting those dude. Where I'm standing in the one pic is exactly where I caught the other 11" on Saturday.

I knew there had to be a big one in that pool! I wouldn't be surprised if there was another one in the plunge pool right below it. I usually skip over this part of the stream. Looks like I won't be doing that anymore!

Very nice guys.

Really nice video guys. Enjoyed it.......and those are some dandies...

Back