Biologist Reports

MKern

MKern

I have been searching the PFBC website for about a year now looking for information that details the numbers of fish in EVERY stream that they survey (Kg/Ha).

I know the section marked biologist reports, however that area is limited in the info. I'm looking for every class A and stream with natural reproduction, including dates of surveying, location of surveying, and numbers/size of fish.

I heard from a friend that it is on their somewhere, but neither him or I can find it.

Related:

I know that they surveyed Tea Creek this Spring and I'm interested in their findings. However, I think the last time they surveyed it it took 2 years to post the info.

Yes, it does take forever for them to post and they do not post all of them - - I guess the ones they can spin, they will post. JUST KIDDING!

If I were you I would get the email address for the AFM for the area you are interested in. Don't look for a reply immediately, but they should get back to you - - and if they do not - - cc Dr Austen.

While i cant speak for Mike or Brian, you can give Mike a call and ask him if you can go to there headquarters in I believe the State College area. When I discussed my book with Brian he invited me up there anytime (as long as I call first to make sure they arent in the field) to go through there files on any study or stream they have surveyed. I intend to do so sometime this winter. Worth a shot...youll find more info from their records than anything else.

It seems to me that the PFBC is posting fewer biologists' reports on their website than in years past. Perhaps staffing or budget cutbacks have eaten into this. Whatever the case, in all but one instance, when I have contacted the PFBC they have always responded and been helpfull. I would bet that a polite request to see stream survey reports from years past would probably get you acess to hard copy archives. I have thought of asking to see some of these myself. I think survey reports from some of our favorite waters back in the 60s and 70s (or earlier) would be fascinating to compare with the more recent surveys of the past decade that can be seen on the website.

Back