Bin Laden Doesn't Fly Fish - Or Some Musings on The Decade in Review

F

Fishidiot

Undoubtedly, in the next few weeks we'll be fairly inundated with "decade in review" punditry, analysis, and retrospective. Much of this will be political (one news mag has already dubbed it the worst decade ever). But politics aside, what about FFing here in PA? What stands out in your mind? What has improved or gotten worse? Was it a good decade? While I realize for some of you, FFing began during the decade, for old hands with the perspective of years passed - What do you make of the last ten years? I chose the title for the thread not out of a desire to provoke political debate, but rather as a personal angle attributing to the political turmoil of the past decade my personal opportunities to FF in different states and countries. Funny how unforseen job opportunities, family demands, personal crisis, retirement (or in my case, a war), dictate where we live, how often we fish, how we perceive fishing, or even WHY we go fishing. Of course it's always been this way. Just as surely as we can never know the future, we can just as assuredly recognize in hindsight How Things Were and how this affected our lives and the fishing adventures that flow through them. Hhmm.....
Looking back on the decade in PA FFing, some things stand out. For me personally, the internet has most affected my FFing with all the advantages it confers (this website in particular). This was much less an issue in the 90s and not even on my radar screen before about 15 years ago.
I think the most talked about issue for many was the Little Juniata court case (which turned out well in my view) and the connected controversy of high end clubs restricting public access. This issue was virtually unknown in the 1990s and earlier and has certainly grown. Another development was the closing of the Big Spring Hatchery in 2001, which has also turned out well in my view. Land aquisition along Spring Creek and the Erie Tribs has been good news. Yeah, of course steelhead - perhaps this is the big story of the decade here in PA. It just keeps getting better. The proliferation of "big box" stores across the state has been a debateable development for FFing with some advantages and perhaps deleterious effects for small traditional fly shops. Some mighty good cicada fishing was had - something not seen since the 80s across much of the state. In the bad news corner (in addition to elite fishing clubs) we've had some fish kills such as the Driftwood Branch and - I think worst of all - the decline of bass fishing in the lower Susky (the worst story of the decade in my view). We lost George Harvey.
All things considered, however, I'd say it was a pretty good FFing decade here in PA. It certainly was for me, even though I bounced around and got to fish a lot of places I wouldn't have predicted in the 1990s. So what do you think? What stands out in your mind on this topic?

Gosh Dave, that is alot to mull over.

It was the best decade for me (in terms of fly fishing) since I started fly fishing 6-7 years ago.

I enjoy paflyfish a great deal- met many nice people from here. The advice here has also been very helpful, not to mention entertaining.

After 9/11- think I took a look at what is important in life- maybe I reprioritzed some. I know I fish more!

Cicada's were indeed awesome- my only regret is not fishing it on Penn's.

Saw an incredible sulpher (my first) spinnerfall on a placid evening about 3-4 years ago that has never been matched. I still drive hours chasing them. It was indeed magic!

Lost my job a few years ago- all my free time has been spent FF since. Even took a cross country 2 month trip to MT,OR,CA this past summer. It was a great experience. Someday I will be a sucker.

Fly fishing keeps me out of trouble and provides some excercise. Spend alot of time out of doors.

Became a TU member. (even if the National TU does'nt see access the way I do- the local chapters do alot of work to outweight any negatives for me)

I now dream of catching a Tarpon everyday- even if it is for 5 seconds.

Certianly many streams are getting better. Holding my breath on the shale deal.

Fly fishing is awesome!

The past decade has been the best fishing decade of my life for numbers and average size of wild trout. The catch is that less than 5% of these fish were caught in PA. Mostly in WI and Iowa.

We plan on moving back to PA when Sr. Management decides she's had enough full time career. We don't have any kids and will need somebody to shovel our applesauce into our yaps for us in 25 years or so. And my entire family is in PA and has both the spoons and the willingness. Probably be back in 3-5 years, although potentially sooner. I went through prostate cancer this past Spring/Summer and if it comes back (very unlikely, but possible), the timetable will accelerate.

That said, I'm a little gunshy about the quality of fishing I may be moving back to when we return, at least in terms of HQ wild trout fisheries. Relative solitude is a big part of fishing for me and a lot has changed since I left in terms of access and pressure and none of it for the better.

Still, I'm a small water guy at heart and there's lots of public lands and creeks that see very few guys, but have more than enough fish. So, as long as my knees hold up...

Between that and my love for medium size stream smallmouth and small lakes for LMB, I'm looking forward to it.

This is a decade full of fly fishing firsts for me. In many ways my life was changed or paths set due to this so-called addiction.

I began fly fishing in 2000 at the age of 19 during a camping trip on Penns Creek. There were so many trout rising in the evening that my spinning gear seemed useless. My friend and I drove to State College, asked at a garage if there were any tackle shops around, and were directed to Flyfishers Paradise. I bought my my first fly rod, a few flies, and caught my first trout on a fly during that trip. I have a picture of that 13 or 14 incher in the dark with a big skinny grin from a disposable camera that turned out great. I even wrote a song about the experience.

Flyfishing played a big part in my career path. While in college, I wanted to find some way to make money on my own time so I could quit my part time job and fish as I pleased. I found a niche and went with it, and although money isn't as comfortable as it could be, I've accomplished just what I set out for: FREEDOM from THE MAN. I've gone 13 days without bathing on a camping trip that was planned to be one week. My wife and I took a cross country road trip for a month, hitting tons of NW trout fishing destinations big and small, without a plan and deciding where to stay every night while we drove and what to do when we got there. I once participated in a contest where I was chained to a dog house for 12 days (still didn't beat my 13 day no bathing record) in effort to outlast others and win a car. I didn't win it, but that is not the point! All of these periods of leaving my work behind on short notice are possible because of the career path that fly fishing led me to create.

Fly fishing was the inspriation to pick up and move from Philly and every person we knew to Bellefonte in 2004. I'm still trying to figure out why the heck my wife (girlfriend at the time) was into the idea too. By the way, if you ever happen to talk to her about this move, the proper reason is that we "happened to like the area and wanted to try something different."

Here are some highlights of my flyfishing evolution over the course of the decade:
2000: Bought "Trout Streams of Pennsylvania" by our good friend troutbert (who I didn't even know was Dwight until a couple weeks ago); decided on trip to Penns Creek for first experience with wild trout; First began flyfishing and caught first trout
2001: Began tying flies, caught my first trout on a fly
2002: Met the late Charlie Heathcote while camping at Poe Paddy, who took me under his wing and taught me to think outside of the box with both tying and fishing. "You won't learn this in any book." Charlie molded my passion for the sport into a refined perspective that it deserved. I still have a lifetime supply of his home made, labeled dubbing blends like "chippymunk & orange carpet." He even introduced my to Frog's Fanny which I now make a little money on the side by selling the powder in bulk.
2004: Moved to Bellefonte; took one-month cross country trip to NW USA.
2005: Took fishing trip to Yellowstone and SW Wyoming. Back home, caught first trout over 20" by fishing the Rockview SCI "KEEP OUT" section of Spring Creek. (Yes, it was everything you could imagine. First time in there I got 24 trout in about 90 minutes on an August day, compared to my usual 5-7 per outing)
2006: Jumped into brookie fishing HARD and found my new passion: exploration & new discovery
2007: Took final fishing trip of the decade to Wyoming & Idaho, squeezing it in before our first child was born. Made my best discoveries of nearby hidden gems all in this year.
2008: Mastered the Baby-Bjorn cast; Caught first wild Tiger Trout; slammed Penns Creek browns on cicadas with barely anyone around, which will be burnt into my memory for the next 16 years.
2009: Evolved into my current state of less fishing as a happy dad. Happy Dad = Happy Dude

Great thread Dave.

Looking back to the last ten years, a lot has changed. I moved from NE PA 15 years ago, and this has been the first full decade that I’ve lived in SE PA. While overall, trout fishing is not nearly as good as the Northeast region, I am within a reasonable distance of some decent spots to fish and now have some great, new favorite streams. I also love fishing for river SMB, and I must say, IMO, the fishing is very poor here when compared to the NE. I try to make some SM trips back home, but this summer was extremely disappointing because of the high water.

One real regret is my Dad and Uncles are well into their 70’s now, and for the most part, don’t fish anymore. They are the ones that started me fishing when I was kid, and I miss our fishing trips. I also have a close fishing buddy that I fished with for many years that is in poor health. He was my mentor when I was in my 20’s. He taught me a lot about fishing and we had some great times together. I also miss spending time with him.

The thing that changed most for me was getting married five years ago and buying a house in the burbs. I will tell anyone that cares to listen that it was the best thing I’ve ever done in my life. But I will be the first to admit; it hasn’t helped my fishin’, at least my travel fishing. Before I was married I would make a least one trip out-west every summer, and sometimes get another trip or two in while traveling on business. No FF trips out-west since I was married, although I did some fishing while on vacation with my wife in the Adirondacks and Maine. The PAFF Jam is my Montana for right now; not a bad substitute I must say.

The Company I worked for was sold a few years ago, and I’ve gone it alone by becoming an independent consultant. It seems work is feast or famine, but I try to get out FF at least once a week, and with my fairly flexible schedule I usually get to fish during the week when it’s less crowded.

One other big difference between now and ten years ago is being here. Even when I can’t fish, I get to read and write about it, learn new things, and make some great new friends that I fish with fairly regularly. It’s true for me, this is my “favorite place out of the water.”

I just starting fly fishing a little over 3 years ago, so this is of course my best decade of fishing. I actually think my envolvement in this sport has helped me to appreciate the little things in life a bit better, become less stressed, and not get worked up over stupid things.

I started fly fishing in 2006, just a few months before I got married. I recall the first fish I ever took on a fly, and remember how little I knew back then. I, to this day, don't know how I got into the sport. I didn't watch "the movie" and didn't have an experience where I thought fly fishing was surperior to spinning. I just decided to try it out one day. I haven't looked back. I also joined this website in the fall, and it has helped emensely in shortening the learning curve.

I got a fly tying kit on Christmas of 2006 so I started tying soon after I started fly fishing. In 2007 I caught my first fish on my own fly, and recall my first fish on my own dry. I got books, read articles, and asked many questions on this site. I set some goals for myself this year. A wild trout, carp on the fly, 20" trout, and a steelhead. I caught my first wild brown (3 actually) the first time I tried on Hell's run. It was more of a rush than catching my first steelhead later that year. In the Fall, I bought an 8 weight, and went steelhead fishing for the first time. I of course got skunked my first time out, but landed 4 my second time and had a ball.
I now am addicted to these large fish and lose sleep every time it rains in the fall.

In 2008 I just expanded on my knowledge. I worked on hitting a few hatches and tying flies to match those hatches. My fishing and tying got better throughout the year. I also taught 2 people to fly fish this year.

In 2009 I taught another guy to fly fish and he joins me pretty often now. We saw an amazing caddis hatch on the first day. I also hit the brown drakes, cahills, sulphurs and march browns this year. I attended the PAFF JAM this year and learned a lot. Met some great guys, and will return every year I possibly can. Caught my first wild brookie on that trip and fished some fantastic streams. I felt that at this point my skills were pretty good to not be embarassed in fishing with any of the "experts" I met up with. I went exploring for new wild trout streams, but didn't find any. I caught my best fish to date on the fly, a 19" smallmouth. I feel more confident with a fly rod in my hand, than a spinning rod (not that I've picked one up in a long time). It comes natural to cast to a rising trout, present a good fly, untangle knots, and tie a good looking fly. I can only look forward to the next decade of experiences to bring me further in to the abyss that is fly fishing.

Ryan Gouldsbarry

The past decade has certainly been my best for FF'ing - and I've been doing it for almost 30 years. I would attribute it to experience mostly.
However, the internet has certainly had a big impact on things for me also. Whenever I plan a fishing trip, it's become a ritual to get online, and check the weather and stream level - if possible - of my destination. If things don't look good at where I want to go, I'm flexible enough to change plans. Has certainly saved me lots of time and gas

I've picked up some new ideas from this site, and have shared some things I've leaned that have, hopefully, helped others also

I've seen a huge increase in the amount of fly fishing gear that we have to choose from now during the past 10 years. And it's nothing but a plus IMO.

I would also say that FF'ing has become more popular, and have certainly seen an increase in crowds on the most popular streams.
But I'm not ready to call it a problem yet, as a few others on this site have claimed. I still know plenty of places "off the beaten path"
where I can fish in relative solitude if I so desire

As for what stands out for me from the last ten years:

Finally hitting it good at the Delaware river these past 2 springs.
I've honestly had as much fun up there, as I've had on any of my 10 trips out west.

The cicada hatch. It was every thing it was supposed to be IMO.
I'll be 70 the next time they're on, and I sure hope I'm still around and able to fish it.

Attending the last 2 PAFF jams and meeting a great group of FF'ers

I have high hopes for the fishing in the coming decade.

I don't think I was fly fishing when they hit my part of the state. But here's a good chart for the future cicada hatches. 2012 I'm doing some travelling.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

This has been a satisfying fishing decade and I attribute that to carp, even though my primary interest is trout. Adding that one species has meant that there has never been a summer when I lacked a fishing opportunity within a few minutes drive. In warm years, when some of the trout waters had to be rested, the carp were right there to take up the slack. BTW, I consider just one hookup as being a very successful trip when carping. I enjoy other warmater species, but there is an intrigue to stalking carp that is special.

I didn't get serious about the internet until 1999, so its integration into everyday life naturally dovetails with a review of the last decade for just about anything I can think of, including FFing. I can hardly imagine going fishing without detailed scouting on the internet beforehand.

I cut back on travel radically after gasoline prices topped $2.00 per gallon. Fortunately, living in SC PA, I don't have to travel that much anyway. Besides, traveling in my mid 50s now is much less comfortable than it was when I was in my mid 40s. Travel in your youth is my advice, and concentrate on the big, brawling freestones that might be tough to wade later in life.

2009 has been my most enjoyable year since 1996. 2004 was pretty good, too. Maryland had a cicada event in 2004 that was very fine even though I didn't use that pattern. Some of the brook trout that year were amazing.

I started FFing right around 10 years ago, but I was fishing well before that. This has been the best decade in my life for fishing, mostly because I do it a lot more often.

Overall, I think the streams have improved. It's hard to tell because I'm better than I was then. There are, of course, a few notable exceptions where streams have gotten worse, but they are exceptions. On the small streams that I've always loved, I think there are more and bigger fish, and the occasional brown and rainbow now inhabits places previously relegated to brookies only. I fish NW PA a lot, and most of these streams have acid rain problems, so I'd say the new species are a good indicator that things have turned for the better.

However, in the last 10 years, I discovered the rest of the state. While I still love NW PA, I discovered hatches and rising trout, I discovered wild trout in larger streams, and I discovered limestoners. I spent 4 months out west and discovered the fishing there. I also discovered seasons, trout season used to from April-July, now its truly year round.

I have more money to throw around, but less time, I'm not sure it was a fair trade.

Back