Best cold weather waders?

T

trike23

I am considering doing more steelhead fishing this fall/winter than hunting. Once the weather gets cold my simms stocking foots just dont cut it anymore. What do you guys suggest? Also does anyone have any experience with sandle Korkers? I have used the old style with the laces in the past and threw them in the trash. I need something that will not fall off. Thanks guys for any help.

I know that there's not many of us left that wear them any more, but I still use neoprene waders in cold weather. Can't beat them for warmth IMO. They're fairly cheap. I bought the ones that I'm currently using at FFP 4-5 years ago now for $60, and they're still going strong.

Another thing to do is buy wading boots that are a little larger, allowing room for a thick pair of socks. Or better yet, just get boot foot neprenes

the cabela's neoprene waders are really good. i've had mine for probably five years. they aren't expensive. i actually use them whenever possible because they are far more durable than breathable waders. buying new waders every year gets old real fast.

I second the Cabels's Neo's. I use mine from Dec-April, and I love them. I can usually get away with just wearing jeans under them which makes for less bulk. I got a pair of 5mm Chest waders for $60 last year at the outlet store. They work great for me.

As I have gotten older, I have come to hate the neoprene wader. I find that I dehydrate very easily in neoprene and spend the night after a long day on the stream cramping up...even though I drink water and gator juice all day. I have found that the stocking foot waders with neoprene feet do fine. I wear a heavy sock under them and a neoprene sock. I wear a spandex/lycra running tight under my jeans (insert cat calls here). I stay warm even standing in deeper water. I will say that this probably works well for me because I tend to cover a lot of water when I fish. I rarely stand in 1 hole for long periods of time. That being said...I am that guy standing in one of the tribs on an 11 degree day in the middle of a snow storm. Layers are the key IMHO.

Good luck!

I wet wade, because that's how real men do it. :)

But seriously, I have a pair of the Cabela's Neo. and I layer underneath and am pretty warm.

ant wrote:
I wet wade, because that's how real men do it. :)

You mean real men with serious shrinkage.... You crack me up ant!

cabela's breathable hunting waders
boot foot, 600gm thinsulate cut to allow layering and durable.
i use them for lake erie waterfowl as presque isle is freezing over in december and in the tribs
pricey ($170) but worth it
no lyrca for me and no shrinkage
gut

Patrick: I guess not eating enough potassium isn't why my legs cramp all winter. I can't believe I never made the connection with Neo's and cramping. I may have to re-evaluate my waders now. Thanks for the info.

TUNA wrote:
Patrick: I guess not eating enough potassium isn't why my legs cramp all winter. I can't believe I never made the connection with Neo's and cramping. I may have to re-evaluate my waders now. Thanks for the info.

No problem...just send me your insurance card info :-o

The things that stinks about it is that I try to stay hydrated, but when I get out of the neoprene I was just soaked (no I do not have urinary incontinence nor were my waders leaking). I would lay down in bed at the end of one of those days and my legs would cramp so bad I could not stand. I dumped the neoprene and have had no cramping since. I do carry a pack that contains a water bladder. If you tend to cover a lot of water when you fish (and for hours at a time)...don't forget to hydrate. I'm just glad I never had one of those cramps along the stream...in certain situations...that could have been bad.

I agree with the hydration aspect, one can never have enough liquids. Every time I fish in the winter and the temp is below 40*, and the water is cooler than 45*, I end up with terrible cramping. My doctor almost had to prescribe some type of muscle relaxers last winter. I'm in the market for new breathables, and I, now, might have to purchase a pair of Patagonia's. I also keep a hydration bladder on me, but it actually froze solid a few times last winter. My usual winter gear includes 1 bottle of actual fruit juice, 1 liter of water, and usually some type of Gatorade type drink. You can never be too safe in the winter, especially since hypothermia only takes minutes to set in.

You mean real men with serious shrinkage.... You crack me up ant!

That's why God created tube socks. ;)

Doesn't matter what ya wear, you're going to be cold. Breathble waders, heavy hunting socks. and two pairs of sweatpants will do.

Breathable, stockingfoots are what I use year round. Those are much more comfortable than neo's, at least for me.

Layering is absolutely key. Avoid cotton with your layers and stick to synthetics, especially as a base layer. Cotton will absorb moisture and thus make you cold. Patagonia Capeline is probably the best I have found but it's also not cheap. I look for it on sale and pick it up. There are lots of good alternatives though.

Over a base layer go with fleece pants and then your waders. I wear two pair of socks- a coolmax base layer sock and then a smartwool over that. Boots are a little bigger and not tight. If it's REALLY going to be cold, I'll use some of the foot warmers that adhere to the bottom of your socks.

My feet get so darned cold--didn't matter what I tried until last year. On the advice of a couple friends I got neoprene bootfoot from Cabelas. I think the boots are 1000 grams thinsulate. I wore them for steelhead and winter fishing last year and finally--warm feet. They were on sale for $135. Saved on shipping by picking them up at the store. But clump, clump, clump--they are heavy as all get out. Small price for me to pay for the warm feet.

I've never had any cramping problems from wearing neoprene waders, and am surprised to hear that some of you apparantly have.
Before they first came out in the '80's, your only wading choice was boot foot rubber or canvas waders with rubber cleated soles. Now that was roughing it. Sure made wading an adventure, and I did some swimming with the fishes in them.
Can still remember buying my first pair of neoprenes with felt soled wading boots from Cabelas, and thinking how much of an improvement they were

I wear neoprene when the temps get below freezing. The pair I have is one size larger than I normally wear so there is a little more space for circulation. I am also becoming a believer in Under Armor as a base layer.

Extra socks & a set of sweat pants.

i have a pair of the cabelas breathables and in the colder months i put on long john bottoms and then a pair of fleece pants that arent that bulky and i have had no problems as of yet...how much colder can one get steelheadding in feburary not to mention i love my breathables way more than i have ever liked my 5 mm neo's and those were just on the awesome side except when it was over 40 degrees then you might as well wet wade because of excessive sweatting

flipnfly wrote:
i have a pair of the cabelas breathables and in the colder months i put on long john bottoms and then a pair of fleece pants that arent that bulky and i have had no problems as of yet...how much colder can one get steelheadding in feburary not to mention i love my breathables way more than i have ever liked my 5 mm neo's and those were just on the awesome side except when it was over 40 degrees then you might as well wet wade because of excessive sweatting

It's not the waders..as long as they don't leak it's what you put underneath. The above is a good example of what to wear. Long Johns make sure they are moisture wicking, some fluffy layer after that. I love Patagonia but they are expensive. My son has something I think he bought at Kolhs, but he does have some patagonia long johns. We also spray our feet with foot spray so they don't sweat and take extra dry socks. Makes all the difference. I do not recommend sweat pants. Wet cotton will chill you to the bone.

Back