Beer and Fishing

J

Jimbo87

Alrighty boys - new question of the day. I am a big fan of having some brews, castings some lines, and hopefully catching some fish. If I'm going to spend a weekend afternoon out on the creek and just hang out - I'm usually going to have a small cooler with some beer in it. The question is - can you? Legally?

There are signs everywhere about the "litterbug" law, and I myself am a huge supporter of keeping the streams clean. My friends have learned NOT to throw their beer cans in the brush, stream, whatever around me - you packed it in full, you can pack it out empty. If we want to enjoy this resource in the future, take care of it right? Not to mention stream access, etc.

So yeah - those posters say don't litter, ok, got it. I'll put my empty beer bottle back in the cooler. I've had a cooler next to me when speaking to a game warden just about whats working, what isn't, where the fish are etc. I probably had three beers by that point so he must have smelled the beer, but he never asked me to open the cooler.

This is what I'm assuming - it's probably an open container violation, but as long as you're not billigerant and littering, it's often looked over. Has anyone ever had any issues with this?

Careful on State Park land and PFBC properties. Otherwise, if drinking beer becomes illegal, I am moving to Amsterdam or Montana.

Unless you're in a state - or some other municipal - park, where alcohol is not allowed, I don't see where it's a problem. Provided you're not visibly intoxicated I guess

The one thing I would add is that if you're on private property close to a house, I'd avoid it. Especially if you asked permission to be there.

Had my license checked on Big Spring early last year on a Friday evening, it was clipped on the back of my lumber pack. Also had an open bottle in the holster right next to it and the WCO didn't say a thing about it. Though, as always, YMMV.

Nothing wrong with it as long as your not in a state park and littering. Other than that, it is a great combo.

Fox - I definitely agree with you there, unless of course you asked the property owner if they wanted to have one with you! :pint: And Tomitrout - what is "YMMV"? And Jackm - what would be considered a PFBC property? Certainly not ATW or their banks?

I was asked to pour a beer out on Kettle Creek about two years ago. I always take 3 with me, the pack I have is perfect for that. I was down past Debs place and Kinneys bar. I've never had a problem with it down state though. I'm not sure why.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

If someone really wants to drink beer streamside might I suggest the Big Bobber Floating Cooler... perfect for the Blue Winged Olive Beer Guzzler.

Attachments

• Floating Bobber Cooler.jpg
    Floating Bobber Cooler.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5
^ Nice!

I may have floated the Susky near Selinsgrove in an innertube with a 5'6" UL spinning rod and a cooler roped to the tube in college...yeah I'm pretty sure that happened.

ha. Carrying beer with you is too heavy. I cover too much ground when I fish to "carry". But I've been known to down a few before and after an outing.

Especially if I'm with someone with a similar attitude towards this kind of thing, and most often on remote brookie streams, I actually quite often "sink" a sixer near the car. Hike and fish for miles, by the time you get back to the car you're sweaty and exhausted. Cold beer in icy water. MMMMM.

I got a surprise once, though. Friend recognized the car, searched and found my beer, and I came back to empty's sitting on the car. Bastard!

Haha! PCray - I had a similar situation once, I had a cooler stream side and my buddy asked for one and I had two left, so I said sure. Went up stream a bit, came back - both gone. I immediately informed him that you NEVER TAKE A MANS LAST BEER!

Nickyboy - thanks for the reminder! I saw that thing on one of my buddies facebook pages once, freaking sweet. Although I was fishing a resevoir once...massive lilly pads....floating aquatic beer table? Yes. That happened. I'll keep an eye out for that BWO Beer Guzzler though...

I'm assuming that state game lands would be okay, but state parks are not?

You should never assume!

§ 135.41. State game lands.

(c) Additional prohibitions...it is unlawful to:...

(9) Consume, possess or transport any alcohol, liquor, beer, malt or brewed alcoholic beverage.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/subchapCtoc.html

Actually alcohol on any state land is illegal. State parks, state forest, game lands, etc, all illegal. Just read the fine print on any of the signs near parking areas, offices etc
Saying that, I've drank on all of them. Just use common sense and keep it discreet

Bah, it's a commonwealth! My property!

haha well good to know the law

My nifty new Rapid River vest from L.L.Bean can accomodate a camel back.... ;-)

Ok on State Forest and National Forest, though, unless otherwise posted.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/groups/public/documents/document/D_001497.pdf

21.74 Disorderly Conduct. The following are prohibited.

(2) The consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by persons under 21 years of age.

I read that to mean it's ok if you are over 21 years, provided you meet all other requirements such as refraining from noise violations and other such unruly behavior.

yeah, sorry biker, but based on experience, gotta agree with pcray on this.....I've been to many, many, many events on state forest land that involved beer sponsorship with kegs on hand and in the open with State Forestry Rangers in attendence, and there's never been an issue.

Back