Bamboo on the Lehigh, a decent first day considering....

• Thread starter PoconoMountainRods
  • Start date
P

PoconoMountainRods

The first day of the season was a very nice day in NEPA and it was the nicest I'd seen the water level in the Lehigh over the past few years. However the temp. was still a little on the cool side.

Not many people were catching fish which was fine with me; more for a later time for those who catch and release.

I had made myself a new Bamboo Fly Rod; my personal aresonal was lacking a rod that had the backbone to fish big streamers and weighted nymphs. So I made myself an 8'0'' that throws a #5 and #6 lines.

My day turned out to be pretty decent; although I only brought 3 fish to the hand it was nice to have some action.

I was fishing a Royal Coachman Streamer in a size 10. There is a strech in the tailwaters where some fast water sort of pools and goes into a nice chanel on the far bank. I worked the water and gradually got my fly accross and above the head of the run. That Coachman Streamer came down through the run and started to rip accross the flat.

A very nice Rainbow broke the surface as it slammed the Coachman. I had him on for a while and seen him a few times as he tried to free himself. He got me into the fast water and ended up coming off the fly. That was OK., I saw him several times, it was a very decent fish and I didn't over tire him nor did I have to handle him. It was the first fish I put on the new rod and it made my day.

Tim Mahovich-Maker

Nice post! How far down below the dam were you fishing? So far this season, the flows on the Lehigh have been great for fishing...not too high, not too low.

And from talking to folks on the river - - most are have been doing well. Both spin and fly guys.

Look for a release tomorrow for the white water freaks, then the Corps will cut back the release for Sunday - - so the river will be fishable, after all the mother's day fesitivities are wrapped up.

This cool weather should only prolong the good fishing.

Terrible news on the release......damm. I was going up there tomorrow around 7 am. I still will....but if it seems dangerous to be wading then I may just have to take a ride up into the headwaters.

In response to your question; the gage is usually where I go, I park by the picnic table and fish there down.

Sometimes down by the dome, I make my way in to the Powder Hole section.

I'll drop a line tomorrow on the water and productivity.

A total no go. The river was up pretty well. A friend beat me down and called me and suggested we bag it, swore he could see the river coming up and our personal gage rocks for wading were just about covered.

We decided to go up to the Broadhead. Fished it at the bridge down to the Moose Lodge. I didn't catch one but a friend I gave a rod to for a wedding gift, and he is a newbie.....her caught a decent Rainbow.

Only fished till 12 Noon and had to head home to do some work around the house.

About 11:30 a few fish started to raise in the channel at the Bridge; there was a small Caddis Hatch.

I had one whack a black stone but it was a soft bump.

I'm gonna hit the Delaware Thursday.

Tim,

The first fish on a new rod, it doesn’t get any better than that. What taper did you use or modify.

Joe E

I graphed out Two tapers a Gillium and a Holbrook; I then created a Third which is mien. I did a Swell Butt .385 @cork, used #15 Ferrule. It's a really nice taper. I was shooting for a rod that threw both a #5 and #6 lines. It worked out well; throws out both lines with authority, I'd been using the #5. It worked out great for the streamers and nymphs like I had hoped. And if needs to, it'll lay out a dry fly to a rising trout.

A friend liked it alot, he asked if I could convert it to a 3 pc for him. Finished that up last week, he loves it.

Tim

Back