Backpacking

J

jim_k

New to this forum, you guys are great, hoping you can help with this. My scout troop kids are avid backpackers, but I have developed a small patrol that is also into flyfishing. They want to combine the two, I.e. a hike in destination where they can camp and fish. I can't think of where to go for this, where we can wilderness camp without violating any laws, near a trout stream, far from roads. Any ideas. Looking for something in eastern half of state, I.e. state college and east.

I can certainly help you. I am a fly fishing guide in PA, and I would tag along and take you guys to an awesome spot. PM me if interested

Your best bet is to probably head north, and maybe a little west of State College...check out the Hammersly Fork area, your best bet to get as far as possible from any roads. I did just such a trip there a couple years ago: Hammersly Hustle

And maybe look at the Black Forest Trail up near Slate Run, it crosses a bunch of nice little streams along the way, as well as Slate Run itself.

Will you be fishing catch-and-release, or cooking your catch?

tomitrout wrote:
Your best bet is to probably head north, and maybe a little west of State College...check out the Hammersly Fork area, your best bet to get as far as possible from any roads. I did just such a trip there a couple years ago: Hammersly Hustle

And maybe look at the Black Forest Trail up near Slate Run, it crosses a bunch of nice little streams along the way, as well as Slate Run itself.

I was eagerly anticipating photos from that link, but the link failed to work :-/

Is it me?

You didn't state where you are located or where you want to go.

There are a million places in PA where this would be enjoyable. Mostly, the biggest hold up is the camping end of things, not the fishing.

In the national forest (NW PA), this is 100% legal no questions asked, and there are plenty of places you can do it. If interested, let me know, and I can help with specifics.

State forests have a similar set up, but the requirements for the camping end of it are a little more strict. Will you have more than 10 people total?

If not, it's considered "primitive camping". You don't need a permit provided a bunch of requirements are met. i.e. 1 night only in a given location, within certain seasons, fire restrictions, etc. If any of those don't fit, you need to get a permit from the DCNR district office which controls that forest.

If more than 10 people, it's considered "group camping", and you definitely need to get a permit. Typically they'll want to know dates and approximate locations, I can't recall if there's a nominal fee. But they're gonna be a pretty easy to deal with.

State game lands are generally a no-go for camping. They do offer limited overnight camping, but the rules are draconian if you're purpose is actually camping. All you can really do is throw up a tent for the evening in the backcountry, meant for thru hikers. No fires, no multiple days, you have to be X distance from roads, etc.

And then there's private land, which you deal with the landowner and we can't help ya there.

IMO, if within range go to the national forest. If you're on the eastern side of the state, focus on state forests, find your stream (this board can help), then contact the DCNR district office and ask them what you'll need. They'll be helpful.

I was going to suggest Hammersley as well. You can hike down Nelson branch and camp at the split of belle and hammersly. Or hike up Hammersley? Camp at the split and fish up Nelson then hike up out Nelson trail.

Done it about a dozen times with overnight trips. That's why I was going to point that out.

I agree with you pcray, going to need some more info on group size and such before I tell you to tear off in "the ham" and start building fires and such.

I have parking spots, access points and estimated hike times for hammersly if the OP would like them just PM me.

I was eagerly anticipating photos from that link, but the link failed to work :-/

Is it me?

Maybe? It works for me, but was kinda slow there for a bit, here's the actual addy:

http://tomi.smugmug.com/Sports/Fishin/Hammersly-Hustle/12403519_9zQwXV#!i=887318684&k=MFvxS4X

wildtrout2 wrote:
Heberly wrote:

Is it me?
I didn't have a problem with it. Watch for rattlers!! Heberly, sent you a PM.

you aren't kidding about the rattlers. Never fails I stumble upon one every time im there. Usually on the belle branch section. Nelson trail is somewhat busy at times so I can understand that.

Now get up to cow run off hammersly and you are in some pretty serious terrain.

Or get to "The Pool" as the locals call it. look out for 20+" browns lol

After seeing those pics and all of this chatter, I'm ready to hit Hammersley again. A special place for sure.

Working now... Needed this on a day like today!

BradFromPotter
are you familiar with all of Hammersly?

If you are familiar with the main branch as well as all of the tribs it should be no surprise to you that big browns make their way up from kettle. Granted we've only seen a few over 20 since we started fishing it 20 years ago.

I think I'll wait another year to hit Hammersley again. I suspect she'll be quite busy this year...

Try the Allegheny Front trail. Great hiking, not too technical, great vistas, runs along sixmile. It's been years since I've done it, but I've hiked the whole thing and is a worthy trail. Not the best by far, but good for a troop. Good access.

PatrickC wrote:
I think I'll wait another year to hit Hammersley again. I suspect she'll be quite busy this year...

LOL!!!

Thanks all. Group size is small, about 6 or 7. First time I took these kids out to overnight at Ressica Falls and they did great, kids were catching more than some of the seasoned anglers. But we were looking for more adventure. Cooking a couple at camp would be good for the kids, as it is a merit badge requirement, but the experience is more important, and I wouldn't allow them to take fish from.a fragile population of wild fish. Plus they need to learn the value of c&r.

Back