Anyone fish Ridley Creek lately?

W

Wmass

I was thinking of trying to fish Ridley tomorrow morning. Has anyone here fished it recently? I was wondering if there were still holdover stockies in the FFO section?

I tried Valley on friday for a few hours, only saw a couple fish and nothing was biting. I thought Ridley may still have some stocked fish leftover.

Wmass,

I don't fish Ridley, but I know a lot of guys that do, and it always holds fish right throught the winter. Give it try.

Valley IS tough, but they're in there.

All the SR areas in SEPA will be stocked in a couple of weeks, most in the 1st week of March. Spring is right around the corner.

Thanks for the info AFISH. VC is definitely tough in the winter. It kinda sucks but I will probably be moving right when the fishing will be getting really good there. I consider VC one of the gems of eastern PA, although its often overlooked. Last summer in particular, the stream seemed to have a TON of trout and I actually saw two fish >20" in one day.

I might be trying VC tomorrow (depending on weather). Was there many people fishing there?

Just me and another guy. He was walking out as I was working my way up stream from the metal bridge. He said he saw some fish but didn't get anything.

I was also considering VC or Ridley tomorrow. I'll have to check the weather and see if I am up for being cold and wet.

Bob

i haven't been to ridley for a few weeks but there should be plenty of trout left.

they were VERY educated last time i was there.i only got one ,and i had to work hard for it.

try a weird fly they haven't seen a hundred times.

i may do valley or ridley sunday or monday.

I fished ridley a couple weeks back. I was skunked at Valley a couple times in a row and was looking for a confidence builder. I went there thinking I would get at least 5 trout. I was wrong, there were a lot of fish but i only managed one. On the other hand i hooked a 20 + inch brown in a run below the bridge but with a couple head shakes he was off. The trout in there are becoming smart.

I fished ridley a couple weeks back. I was skunked at Valley a couple times in a row and was looking for a confidence builder. I went there thinking I would get at least 5 trout. I was wrong, there were a lot of fish but i only managed one. On the other hand i hooked a 20 + inch brown in a run below the bridge but with a couple head shakes he was off. The trout in there are becoming smart.

I fished Ridley Thursday for about 45 minutes and Friday for about 2 hours. I managed some fish both days including that 20 inch brown right below the bridge. I generally only like fishing Ridley Creek when the water is up and a little off color as the fish in there are continually getting pounded. Over the 2 days I caught 4 on glo bugs, 2 on small copper johns, one on a small stonefly and one on a pt nymph. Some guy came through as I was leaving Friday afternoon and started throwing pellets into the stream. In some spots the water really started boiling.

I fished Ridley today and got skunked. I didn't move around much in the four hours I was there and I basically sat right at the main pool by the parking lot. I had about six hits but just wasn't able to set the hook in time. There was actually a fair amount of surface feeding going on and it looked like they were feeding on midges. I got four hits on top to midges and alot of looks but just wasn't successful. The guy next to me was fishing a nymph rig and got a nice sized fish just before I left. Those fish are damn picky.

REDHEADED The guy who was throwing pellets in apparently does it for the local TU chapter, atleast that is what he told me. He was just getting started and was talking to me when I was packing up to go. He was a young guy with an orange hat.

The Delco-Manning TU chapter stocks the FFO stretch and then feeds them to supplement their diet to get them through the winter. I keep resisting the temptation to tie up a couple of pellet flies and give it a shot.

I was there this afternoon,I caught 2 rainbows both on a pink san juan worm.I spoke to another angler who also caught 2 ,1 on a pheasant tail the other on a san juan worm.Small black stoneflies are there as well the occasional bwo or midge.They have seen ever fly known to man,plus there is an older guy who feeds them pellets,not sure what club he is with.I just don't agree with the whole pellet thing,there is enough food in the creek .He has ruined a few of my days out there,once they key in on the pellets you are wasting your time.Anybody know what club he is with?I assume its T.U or delco anglers.

mikeccp wrote:
I was there this afternoon,I caught 2 rainbows both on a pink san juan worm.I spoke to another angler who also caught 2 ,1 on a pheasant tail the other on a san juan worm.Small black stoneflies are there as well the occasional bwo or midge.They have seen ever fly known to man,plus there is an older guy who feeds them pellets,not sure what club he is with.I just don't agree with the whole pellet thing,there is enough food in the creek .He has ruined a few of my days out there,once they key in on the pellets you are wasting your time.Anybody know what club he is with?I assume its T.U or delco anglers.

Mike what time and where exactly were you fishing. I was the guy in the Boston Red Sox hat at the pool by the lot. I tried San Juan worms also and had two hits but couldn't set the hook. I also got some looks on a bugger pattern.

I got there about 2:30.I drive a burgendy blazer,and was dressed in all green.I always wear a green hat.I will look for the bo' sox hat.
May head out today its like 62 degrees here.

Back