Anybody familiar with Penns Creek at Weikert this time of year?

bjkaledas

bjkaledas

I have been to Penns at Weikert during the fall and I have heard early spring, but I have not tried it in the winter. Thoughts?

BTW, my buddy caught this 18 1/2 brown there in October.

18 1/2 inch Penns Brown

Attachments

• 18.5inchpennsbrown.jpg
    18.5inchpennsbrown.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12
I just fished there before and after Christmas while I was visiting Pa. We fished from the end of the road, weikert, parking lot up to above Rainbow Riffle. Did very good using golden stone nymph and a small fb pt as a dropper. As long as the flow is below 500cfs you should do well.

This was my first time on Penns in 2 years. It used to be my home water and I fished it probably as much as anyone for many years. The fish averaged bigger than any time I could remember with more than a few in the 18" range. Just fish deep and slow.

Over the years that I fished Penns the winter months have always been the most productive. It is a lot less crowded than when the drakes are in town.

btw, the lab in my avatar pic is named Drake

Do you recognize this pic?

Nice, nice brown. I've always wanted to fish Penn's but know little to nothing about it. Only passed the tailwaters once driving up 15 on my way to one of my bands shows. Is Weikert a town?

Weikert is a very, very small town. Basically a post office and a soda machine. The town is just below the special regs area. From Harrisburg maybe 2 hrs at most.

Dear flybop,

You are holding on spectorfly, you didn't say a word about Weikert being the home of the Union County Sportsman's Club! Anybody can eat there and they have the best french fries on Earth!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Yea Tim...UCSC...cold beer and good grub!

As far as I am concerned anytime of year is a good time to fish Penns...except for maybe the heat of the summer, but wet years, can provide fantastic nymphing conditions in July and August. Could be best trout stream in Pa.

That pic looks like it is taken looking upstream from the splits hole area, up thru rainbow riff, to halfway pool - c&r area.

Penns brownie...
slob.jpg

Good god those are nice browns. Maybe I'll go there this weekend instead of where I was thinking. Looked at my map last night. 2hrs 20 min away. 1hr 40 min with the way I drive on my way to fish. :p

Tim, Your right, totally forgot about the ucsc. For some reason all the years I fished Penns I never made it in there. Could be because I fished Penns more in the winter, or til well after dark.

Also Tim, next time I am back east I hope you can make it up yo Penns so we can fish.

Yes, the pic is looking up Rainbow riffle. I took that about ten years ago. I still miss Penns, even living out here.

Back