Any fish biologists here?

wetnet

wetnet

I know a stream that I swear the guys from DEP just love to shock. Anyone know how much it effects the fish? We had a 10 inch floater today and everyone was concerned about it's demise. I told them I saw big bird in the same area earlier, which is the non-affectionate term we use for the Grey Heron that stalks about, eating up all the trout. But it still made me wonder about the constant shocking.

Is it state stocking or a private party?

Wet,
There are certain streams that are the focus of annual fish count surveys - usually this would be a creek with fish population concerns, like Big Spring Creek. However, I think it is fairly rare for streams to be surveyed every year. As to whether electrofishing is harmful, I have seen no evidence that it is - but others with far more experience on PA waters than I (George Harvey for example) have always felt that repeated shockings are harmful to fish populations. Hopefully Mike will chime in on this thread.

Yeah I have never heard of a stream getting shocked every year

There are streams that are used as baseline streams, that are shocked if not annually are shcoked on a regular basis to get an idea of the population variences of trout streams in a particular area. West Branch Perkiomen Creek is one of these streams, though as far as I know the last time it was shcoked was about 2003. But every year is a lot. Some fish are lost, though when I was with PFBC on the WB Perki I didn't see any dea fish.
I was on the Little Lehigh the last tme they shocked it and a bunch of anglers got all bent out of shape about a big brown going belly up, that was the only trout out of over 700 that I saw die. When done properly shocking a stream doesn't cause a lot of mortality. However a coupe of years ago a shcoking went terribly wrong on Valley Creek resulting in significant loss.
Recntly I saw a groupl from the Patrick Center Shcoking a tributary to French Creek and stopped by to see what they were finding. They were looking for eels. Anyway when I look inthe buckets it didn't look right, it looked like they killed a bunch of fish, but there were no trout. I reported it to Mike. Not much more I can do.
Big Spring has received close scrutiny since PFBC closed the hatchery and the results are promising though I think they should get the rainbows out, I dought they will.

I've watched several electrofishing surveys and did not see any dead trout. One one occcassion I saw quite a few dead suckers. The PFBC employee said that suckers are more vulnerable than trout to electrofishing.

From the fisheries literature I've read, there is some trout mortality and injury. The larger trout are more vulnerable to spinal injuries than the smaller trout. Over the years, the technology and techniques have changed, so that the amount of electricity used is more carefully adjusted. In the past they used too much juice and more fish were killed.

But, there are some streams that are very frequently surveyed. Penns Creek and Slate and Cedar Runs for example.

I question the value of electrofishing streams every year or every two years, when the fishery is already well understood, and there aren't any management changes being contemplated.

For example, Slate and Cedar are surveyed very frequently, but to what end? I think those fisheries are well understood now, and as far as I know no one is contemplating changing the management there. So what is the value of just shocking them over and over again? Especially when so many streams around the state have either never been surveyed at all or only once since the late 1970s.

Wetnet, what is the stream you're talking about?

It's Swiftwater Creek. The same stream that the Pocono Mountain Rod and Gun Club use. No I am not a member. It runs the campus where I work. I can understand part of their concern. We do manufacture vaccines and have a wastewater treatment plant on site that services the facility. It is an awesome reproductive stream but the guys from DEP shock the stream more than once a year. Everything has always been thumbs up. Both native reproducing brookies, browns and rainbows.

I guess better safe than sorry.

It does seem odd to me to keep shocking the stream to see if the trout are okay. There are plenty of other ways to see how the health of the stream is doing. While trout are a good indicator , I would think taking simple water samples for testing every year would be easier than shocking the stream each year.

Either way....while it could hurt the trout. It probably isnt and it shows that they care about this little stream. Which is a good thing on its own :-D

I'm pretty sure that the shocking activity you are seeing (if it is on the Sanofi site) is related to DEP/EPA monitoring.

Scott

Fish die this time of year ---
after the spawn they are tired and worn out,
drastic temperature/metabolic change,
10" brookie may have been at the end of it's life span.

I am very familar with not exactly this web page but am very familar with navigating thru the maze of no return. Once I find a page I bookmark it forever. Thanks! You have probably saved me hours of migrane madness. The EPA has tons of info but it is a killer finding what you need. You are truly a EPA migratory web God worth worship.

http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1577%2F1548-8675%281994%29014%3C0643%3AITWBTB%3E2.3.CO%3B2

Not sure if the link will work but, it is a link to an abstract of a paper that Hollender and Carline published. You have to have a journal subscription to get the full paper.

Troutbert, I believe they shock the "index" reaches more often to monitor trends in the population, shocking more frequently also allows them to track individual year class survival I believe. The index sites can also serve as a control for a stream with different regulations.

H0ly Crap! those numbers arent very good! :-o

Back