Another fly fishing movie?

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

Sorry guys if this is a dup post, but it looks like another fly fishing movie is on it's way.

http://www.theriverwhy.com/

While I welcome new entrants to the sport, if the last "movie" is any indication the streams will be lined with new fisherman clad in teal Orvis fishing vests (sorry if you own one of those).

On the plus side, there is a scene where the heroine, described as a blond fishing goddess named Eddy (22 yr. old Amber Heard) strips, jumps in the river, and chases down a steelhead. Frankly while I have never tried to catch one that way I look forward to the scene.

Hmmm - a blonde fishing goddess, maybe I should quit complaining and realize that my prayers are being answered.

JG

Uhh, the hero of the story is "Gus Orviston"? WTF? I am wondering how much Orvis had to pay to get that sort of product endorsement. Its so subtle.

I did not notice that, but I betcha he has a Teal Vest!!!

Yes, the book was an enjoyable read. "The movie" did attract some good people into fly-fishing. I think most of those who tried it just because they thought we have the neatest equipment of all outdoor sports didn't continue too long.

"the movie" is the first thing I remember about fly fishing as a kid. I watched it with my father before I was really old enough to understand the story. All I saw was the fishin' and the old cars. I guess it's lucky for me that there wasn't an orvis shop within biking distance.

Watching the movie now, I must say that it's enjoyable. It certainly wouldn't be enough to get me out there in the cold, wet, and marginally dangerous stream. I think that aspect is overblown. I agree with rrt. If someone's that much of a lemming, I doubt they'd stick with the sport anyway.

I think the attitude toward the movie is a way for those who think they have some sort of greater "right" to the sport because they were doing it before the movie came out. As someone who was fishing long before the movie I find that attitude laughable. Its a freaking movie.

I was also a skater before the Stacy Peralta movie and got high before I saw cheech and chong and a skier before my first warren miller flick.

Skating died out (for a long time) most said no to drugs, and the slopes aren't any more crowded than they were when I was 12. Its just petty to think otherwise.

I look forward to seeing this movie someday as well and like most movies, I'm sure the book will be better.

I would recomend this book to anyone who considers themselves a flyfishing addict, the main character takes this to a new level. I loved this book as well as one of Duncans others "The Brothers K". I do think recreating this books effect in a movie will be difficult, but look forward to seeing it none the less.
Tom I agree with what you said about those who bash the movie 100 percent. WMass while i am not a fan of Orvis, you are off base on that.

Wmass wrote:
Uhh, the hero of the story is "Gus Orviston"? WTF? I am wondering how much Orvis had to pay to get that sort of product endorsement. Its so subtle.

Ther's also a scene where the heroine says:

Gus, you have to listen to Buck Simms, he's a Scientific Angler sure to give you Sage advice. But it's getting dark out. Let's see if we can catch a Cab from Ela's and get to St. Croix in time for dinner. Let's just hope we don't run into Grizzly Whiting at the bar.

I've heard great things about this writer's books. But Gus Orviston?

What was he thinking? Or drinking?

I agree with some of the above and can't wait to see the movie. I don't care if it draws more people. I don't own any of the streams I fish!!!

Guys,

Here's another article on the next flyfishing movie, The River Why, Outside Online. Though I will go see the movie, but a little disappointed with of some script changes already. Example,,,
(In one sequence, Gus goes hypothermic trying to rescue a submerged fisherman. When Gus comes to his senses, he sees that the man has been dead for hours.) Strays a little from the book. But then again the "original Movie" really doesn't follow the book very well either.

JH

"The River Why" has always been tied with the other one as my favorite fishing book. As for the "D*mn Movie", as we so affectionately refer to it as, I was disappointed in the movie in direct comparison to the book. Admittedly, my assessment of the "D*mn Movie" is very slanted from a fly fisherman's filter. The saving grace of the movie for me was the famous passages that redford narrated.

One cool thing about the movie is that the sun burn scene was filmed on a local mountain stream here in Paradise Valley. There is still public access to the meadow section of, I forget the name of that stream now, and there still are hordes of guys who want to fish there.

My favorite part of "The River Why", is when the young boy seeks out the source of his home stream. I really do hope that the movie does this chapter justice.

Hey JerseyG -
You better hope for a good fly fishing movie because the effects of " A River Runs Through It" have worn off. Even though you wear a white t-shirt to fish, a new movie may bring people out to fix the streammbanks that you employ and get them to hang up their teal vests...

Back