Angler's Roost

NCPAtrtbum

NCPAtrtbum

Hello all, was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with Mr. Johnny Kuehn from http://theanglersroost.com/ as of late?

I built a switch rod and wanted to buy one of his spey lines just to mess around with but when I call/email him nobody responds.

Is this shop still around or has it gone under? I see he's got an ebay store with some questionable negative feedback...

I just bought 2 reels from him,he's around takes awhile for him to answer..

Alright, thanks Bob.

I asked this same thing a few months ago regarding his rods. They are cheap. Contacting him was rather easy for me by phone on a Sunday.

Cheap as in.. junk cheap or price wise? Or both? :eek:

NCPAtrtbum wrote:
Cheap as in.. junk cheap or price wise? Or both? :eek:

That was what I was wondering his prices are cheap, as in $99 for a specialty 11' 3wt rod. But is that because they are junk or not.

$10 for a trout line holder is a deal no matter how you look at it. Makes Medalist looks expensive.

I bought an inexpensive 14' 4pc spey blank from him and am very satsfed w/ that purchase. We had multiple phone coversations. I'd buy another blank from him.

Pretty good deals on bamboo on there. I don't know much about them. Any opinions on them as I may be interested in picking one up.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=42850/ARE-Presidential-Blanks

Some people do alright others not. Kinda on the fence here. If anyone on here has one please chime in.

Pretty good deals on bamboo on there. I don't know much about them. Any opinions on them as I may be interested in picking one up.
I bought a 7'6" bamboo blank from him - Payne 100 taper. Made a beautiful rod that casts and fishes great. I didn't like the ferrules he had, I'd look elsewhere for them.

I'd recommend that - if you buy a bamboo blank, first have a setup to store the pieces in to keep them straight while you are sealing and finishing them. A board with slots cut in it, or slots made by attaching trim wood to a board, something like that.

A second thought to add to my above post, ..... don't hesitate to forgo bamboo and try a new eglass or sglass blank... same type of action but much lighter.

Nothing like the fiberglass ones from 40 years ago. I just finished one from Kettle Creek ... another member recommended them .... and I'm totally elated with it.

If anyone on here has one please chime in.

I picked up a Dickerson 7012 blank from ARE 2 years ago. The build quality of the blank was very good, the price was obscenely low, and the finished rod looks good and fishes well. He's a character but I found him to be a straight shooter. YMMV.

I'm currently building 8' 5wt rods on blanks from Dennis Stone and Bill Critchfield. Both of these guys are highly respected bamboo builders on a number of forums. The ARE blank I purchased compares favorably to the quality of the blanks I received from Dennis & Bill. Of course Dennis & Bill are a little easier to deal with.

;^)

EG

I've purchased stuff from him in the past. My gripes were more with him than the stuff I got. The quality of the rods and reels wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I purchased a reel he had listed on ebay and didn't get a response for a while. When I finally got in touch with him he said he didn't have the model I purchased and he would send me something different. When I told him I didn't want something different, he got ugly and was difficult to work with.

Back