Age to start learning to cast, fish and tie?

trowpa

trowpa

Ok - so one of my dreams in life is to fish with my son and daughter - to watch them enjoy the same sport i love so much.

They are currently 4 and 6. Last couple years, I've taken both of them fishing for bass, pickerel, panfish, etc (all bait fishing so far) and they've done pretty well.

However this winter they both have REALLY taken an interest in watching me tie and - with my help and supervision (sharp hooks and scissors!) they have tied some basic nymphs "mostly" on their own. My 6 year old in particular is learning the basic skills of thread control, wrapping chenile, dubbing, etc. All well and good... so now they are asking to learn to fly fish - especially my 6 yr old daughter. Which leads me to...

How young can you practically expect to teach a child to cast a fly rod? Is 6 too young? if not, what sort of equipment would you have them use? Anyone teach their chidren at this age and have any tips? Or am i crazy?

trowpa,

I think you will get a lot of different anwsers on this one. Here's mine, You know your daughter better than anyone else does (except maybe Mom) and if she's showing an interest show her! Just remember to make it fun and let her go at her own pace. My daughter is only two, but a very good friend of mine started taking his daughter( I think she is nine now) with us on our monthly fishing trips. It was a blast and I wish I was there when she caught her first trout! She was probaly about the same age as your daughter when she first showed interest and he let her learn at her own pace and now she asks when we are fishing again. So in short, just be patient, watch and enjoy!

JH

Tough call, but I'd say it depends on the individual child. I get paid to teach casting, and where I work, the minimum age for students is 8 yrs old. I've taught 8 yr olds that did better than their parents, and I've taught some that were more interested in chasing tadpoles.

It'd be tough for me to discourage any child that wanted to learn more about flyfishing, but I'd probably just take it slow with maximum fun factor. What you do now could have an impact on their future interest in flyfishing, so caution is in order.

Here's a link to a website of one terrific young flyfisherman - you might get some useful info there.......

http://www.tylerbefus.com/

I believe Gino was 7 or 8 when I first took him out with me. He had big wide loops and slapped the water a lot. Casting more than 20 feet wasn't possible. He made it out 2 or 3 times a season and it was difficult at best. I think I resigned myself to going stream fishing alone, then taking him to the local lake. He would switch off between the fly rod and spinning rod, but mostly the spin outfit. He would watch me catch bluegill after bluegill and often, he'd put his spin rod down and let me cast the fly out, then hand him the rod. He learned to hook fish this way and soon was trying harder and harder to perfect his cast.

Below is a pic of his first wild brook trout on an outing that was almost a disaster because he was having trouble casting, became frustrated and like kids will do, made it hard for me to stay out with him. On the way home I forced him to check out a wild stream I'd been wanting to check out. He followed me very reluctantly to the stream just a few yards from the car without his waders and no rod. My first cast resulted in a feisty wild trout and his eyes lit up. I didn't hardly have to cast as you might imagine and I asked him if he wanted to get his rod. He did and for the next hour or two, we caught a good handful or so of wild trout.

solo4.jpg

He continued to struggle at that age, but as long as we fished smaller water where short casts were the rule, he was OK. By the time he was 9 or 10, he attended his first Jamboree at Coburn, the last time I was to be found in a tent. He brought his spinning rod, but tried to use the fly rod most of the time. His success was limited, but on the ay home, we stopped at Spruce Creek and he witness a light but steady Green Drake hatch. This is when really turned the corner at least in understanding why we fly fish as opposed to spin fishing.

Each year he got better and better and now prefers to fly fish. It has probably been 3-4 years since he has used a spinning rod at all.

So, I guess it is never too soon to let them try, but keep a spin rod handy and don't expect too much. They will see you using the long rod and will want to be like dad and eventually will use it more and more. If they start trying early, I assume they will get into more substantially at an early age and become proficient sooner. If they're asking to try it, let them. they may just surprise you.

Started both of mine at age 8. My daughter which is the younger one picked it up quicker than my son. They are two years apart. Learned this from a fly fishing show in Chicago. Pull about twenty feet of line off and lay it out in front of you. Now hold the rod at waist level and turn 90 degrees to the right (if right handed). Now do a back cast at waist level and let the fly line fall to the ground. The way it falls will tell you if the cast was done properly, since it should be almost straight. Now the the same for the forward cast. Same thing it should be almost straight. Let them cast like this for a while until they get the feel for it. When they think they are ready let them do a back and forward cast together again at waist level. With the line to the left make the two casts together and let the line fall to the ground. Then once again when they think they are ready let them just false casts several times. The reason for holding the rod at waist level is it is easier too see than when you cast over your shoulder. Just start them off slow at first say about 15-20 minutes at first. The better they get the longer they will want to cast. Don't try to push them to the next step.

Thanks for the info. Jack -that's a great pic! Sounds like a wonderful memory!

Yes I think once they get a basic cast, i'd start them catching panfish on a lake before i introduce them to moving water.

But first the casting in the back yard this spring.

Those of you with the 7, and 8 year olds that you taught (and heritage that teaches)- did you start them with regular 8-9 foot 5wt rods? or something shorter?

I started casting a fly rod when I was nine. I could have started at a younger age had I been given the opportunity. Basic fly casting is much simpler for a kid than using an old-fashioned casting reel (no modern automatic centrifugal mechanism to control back-lashes; you just use your thumb) and rod to hurl 2 oz sinkers forty to fifty yards. So, if I could master a casting rod and reel in the back yard at age 6, I certainly don't think it is too early to start a child on a fly rod at that age. It largely depends upon the child's demonstrated abilities ...primarily coordination. Speaking from my childhood experiences, practice time is key for a child to learn casting and that doesn't always mean practice with an adult hovering over the child's shoulder (My adult neighbor was my teacher and he did not hover). It is supposed to be fun, so adults should give the kids some space once some basics are taught. One thing I liked about fishing as a child was that it was one more step to independence and it gave me the freedom to explore (PS.: One rule my parents established was that I could not go fishing along the steep embankments of the Conowingo Pool of the lower Susquehanna River until I learned to swim. For me that was a great incentive to learn and practice swimming).

Make sure you get equipment that fits them. I let my 4 year old son use my 5'6 3wt and it fits him pretty well. Blue Gills and Bass keep him busy.

I can share a little experience on this topic. I have two grandsons who were 6 & 2 this past summer.

I started taking the older one fishing when he was 3 and fly fishing at 5. He does well but he has a calm personality and follows instructions well. I had no problem giving him my equipment to use. He now has his own gear but I started him with a 5' 2wt I had. The small length was easier for him when walking around with the rod but I think a 7' or 7.5' rod would be better if you need to buy an outfit. The smaller and lower wt rods tend to have smaller grips which may be necessary for small children. He now uses a 8.5' 3wt.

I took my younger grandson both spin and fly fishing last year. He is very different from his brother. He doesn't like help, doesn't listen very well and is more than a hand full. However, he has the largest trout of the year at over 23". I wouldn't call what he was doing flycasting but it worked. But he was 2 so I was just very happy with his desire to fish. He's getting a 7.5' 3wt outfit this spring for his birthday.

A couple of tips.

Expect to only fish for very short periods. Once they lose interest do something else like take a walk, ride a bike, skip rocks, collect frogs, whatever... Sometimes we only fished for 15 minutes then moved on to other outdoor activities.

Leave your rod at home. It's all about them. After three years of fisihing with the older grandson I can now bring my rod but we're still only about a rod length apart and frequently my rod is just leaning against a tree or left in the car. I only bring it because he now insists that I bring it along.

Blue gills are very cooperative so you may want to target them in the beginning.

If you bring both of them fishing at the same time it may be a good idea to bring someone else along to help you. You can get pretty distracted while helping one and you don't want to lose track of the other one when you're so close to water.

Pick an easy casting and relatively safe location. This isn't the time to fish high, fast moving water next to a steep bank.

ALWAYS have plenty of snacks and drinks! When all else fails there's nothing like a good snack and beverage to save the day.

my son turns one this week - he's going to be fishing at age 2 with a fly rod wheter he likes it or not....j/k
Hopefully, as soon as he can control his pooper hole he should be fair game to take out. Plenty of other things he and the dog can do stream side between learning to fish. I can't wait casus to be honest the little guy certainly cuts into my fishing time.

My friend started at 5, and is now one of the best fishermen I know. But again, he had the drive to learn and the opportunity to fish a lot over the years.

Chubs and blue gills are a good start.

But I wouldn't hessitate to start them on brook trout. What a great way to start with conservation and presious trout are.

trowpa,
Glad you brought this up and all the suggestions you got on it. My son is 6 as well and late last fall he said he wanted to learn to cast in the yard so off we went. Like others have said it lasted about 15 min which was fine with me and he did, much to my suprise very well just needs to slow down his tempo and I need to find a trick for him to remember to stop the rod within the correct range.
Somewhere I read to teach them it's like answering a telephone pick up the rod to your ear, say hello (this gives them the pause) and back down.
I think I'm going to get my son a 3wt to start. Sounds like a good excuse for a new rod to me! Maybe we can find a pond for the kids in the spring.

I just picked up a 6', 4wt rod (thanks SpectorFly) for my oldest daughter to start catching fish with a fly rod. She's five now and will be about 5 1/2 when trout season goes into full swing. I opted to go with the shorter rod to give her something that would be easy to manage and not too cumbersome. I really didn't see her handling a 9' rod with much success.

That being said, I think gzacckey hit the nail on the head with a lot of things. A child's attention span is short; whether it's fly casting, learning tee ball or anything else, you get about 15 minutes max and then they start to drift. My plan is to set up a target and have her cast to it in the back yard. Having a visible target and a yarn fly will help her see whether she is getting close to the "fish" or not.

I plan on targeting "stockies" pretty heavily in the spring months as they'll be a much easier catch for her. After the stocked trout activity dies off, we'll move on to panfish over the summer months and try to hit some local ponds, etc. I have no intentions of taking her to the places I fish in search of 'selective' trout. I want her fishing experience to be rewarding and most of all, be able to catch some fish.

I had her out a few times last year with a spinning rod and at least in my case, I honestly feel that I will have better results with the fly rod than the spinning gear. Each child is different and they all learn at different rates, but of the few times I've had her waving the fly rod inside, I think she'll do much better with the fly rod.

Fly fishing is more than just catching fish and there is a lot to learn just by being out in nature. Teaching kids about ecosystems, the food fish eat and other nature facts will be just as rewarding as reeling in a fish. My thoughts are that just exposing a child to the outdoors and fly fishing is a million times better than what they experience nowadays which is usually video games and TV!

Most of all, I plan on making it fun for her. That's not always easy because my urge is to fish as well, but I have to tell myself that it is all about her, not me. Perhaps when she gets older we can fish together, but for the foreseeable future, it's a "one rod" trip.

Lastly, don't forget to check your kids for ticks! I brought my daughter home from the local creek last summer and she had a tick on her scalp. That didn't earn me too many 'fishing points' with my wife! Kids are little heaters and ticks loving nothing more than a warm host.

A quick Google search revealed a number of resources for teaching kids to fly fish. Here's one book that came up.

Thanks - i think i'll look to pick up a short 6-7ft 3 or 4 wt outfit for her.

I have to admit, i think my biggest challenge will be getting used to the "one rod trip" mentality...but it IS all about her - you are right.

Thanks for all the tips - i'm looking forward to this spring with her! (and soon my son too!)

When my son started, I was still in my learning/obsessive phase and the idea of teaching him to fish without fishing myself was out of the question. I think if I had to teach him now that the newness is out of my system, it would be better for both of us, because I could practice the "one rod" method more often. If you are in the obsessive phase also, consider doing what I did and set some fishing time aside for yourself so you will have more patience when you take your daughter or son out separately. As it was, I never had to deny him an outing, but if I didn't get out separately, he would have to compete with trout for my absolute attention.

...I was still in my learning/obsessive phase...

Wow, so this is normal. When does it end? :-D

trowpa,

I'm not so sure that a 4wt is the 'magical' line weight for a kid. Others may have more feedback on line weight as a 2 or 3wt may work as well. It was just the size rod I happened to pick up off SpectorFly.

For me neither has ended, but they both have tapered into the merely neurotic stages.

wg,

After 30+ years of fly-fishing, I'm still in the learning / obsessive phase.........

I taught some nephews and nieces to fish at a young age, and I agree that you should leave your rod in the vehicle and spend 100% of your time working with the kids. I have also found it's best to be there to help, but don't hover over them. Let them experiment and learn a little on their own. It also helps to do a lot of lawn casting before fishing, you can make a game out of it and build up to an actual fishing trip. And finally take them to the bluegill pond on the first few trips, and find a wide open area for them to cast. Panfish are mush easier to catch than trout and actually catching a few fish gives them a taste of success early. It should be fun for them and for you. Good luck.

I started my 3 in the 6-8 year old range. They are now 11, 10 and 7. The two older ones have thier own rods - 8'-6" 5 wts.

I would recommend against just going out a buying a rod for your daughter. Teach her to cast with yours and then try a few different sizes.

probably most importantly dont get frustrated at thier lack of attention span. I look like a sporting goods store going to the water with my kids, each one takes thier spinning rod, the older two take thier fly rods, i take my fly rod for the youngest, i carry the tackle box and my chest pack. Each one gets to choose how they want to fish - fly, gear or bait and i dont force them to do one over the other except on a few rare occasions like whem my daughter wanted to cast a rooster tail into a nice mayfly hatch :) I let them switch back and forth whenever they want to.

Late last summer i got some youth waders and took my oldest son on his first dedicated fly fishing outing and we went again over Christmas. Now my daughter is asking when she gets to go wade fishing with me.

The first year they wanted to keep all the fish they caught, and we kept a few, but i have slowly turned them to C&R and taught them the benefits.

the biggest factor in teaching your kids to fly fish and having them enjoy it is your patience and attitude.

Good luck and have fun, I used to think the best thing in fly fishing was catching a fish on a fly I tied until the first time my son caught a fish on a fly i tied.

Make it fun and interesting.

With that in mind its never to early to start. Just keep in mind that once hooked your price of christmas presents might go up ;-)

Back