Addition of Philadelphia Fly Fishing Show

jdaddy

jdaddy

What affect do you think the introduction of the Philadelphia Fly Fishing Show will have on Sommerset? They seem to think it will not impact Sommerset and people will go to both shows. Or maybe they are just being hopeful and trying to sell tickets/vendor booths. I think they are geographically awfully close together and Harrisburg would have drawn more additional attendees. Harrisburg is just as close to Baltimore (the only major market I see them picking up in Philly) but Harrisburg would also pull a lot more VA, WV and MD folks. Wonder is Sommerset will simply become a more salt oriented show>?

Release:

Fly Fishing Show announces new location in Pennsylvania for 2011 at the Valley Forge Convention Center near Philadelphia, March 5,6.

We always receive suggestions on new locations and requests to do our Fly Fishing Show in areas that would welcome us. These possible additions are always examined and researched carefully for the best dates, user friendly facilities, and the potential for exciting attendance figures to increase your business and our sport. A new show is a careful decision, but once it is planned you can expect it to be a winner.

The new show is the “Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Show” scheduled for March 5th and 6th at the Valley Forge Convention Center. This location in the King of Prussia area near Philadelphia is very difficult to obtain because of the popularity of the exhibit hall. Plus it has free parking for exhibitors and attendees, convenient hotels and restaurants, and no high union set-up fees. Originally we were working on a March 19th & 20th date at the Greater Philadelphia Expo, but have a better opportunity at Valley Forge.

Since the announcement of the “Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Show” was first mentioned, response has been awesome. It will take place almost two months after Somerset, so any attendees that wouldn’t miss Somerset will also be ready to attend a second fly event. And the dates precede the opening of trout season, which allows the attendees to purchase needed products for the coming season. Plans are to lean toward a more Pennsylvania celebrity speaking schedule, as not to duplicate Somerset talks. All our exhibitors at Somerset should seriously consider attending the Philadelphia area show. It will be packed.

I went to the Somerset show 3 or 4 times in the past 5 yrs. I guess I could attend both shows, but in all likelihood, I will just go to the Philadelphia show because its only 20min away. I loved the Somerset shows, but if its the same show....now in my backyard.... not too tough to choose.

Sounds great. Never felt like driving all the way to Somerset.

I've got nothing better to do than attend both shows but the Valley Forge one will be closer.

Thanks for the heads -up on this jdaddy.

I tend to feel the same as 11MileCanyon. Personally, I think Harrisburg, DC area, or Pittsburgh would have been better venues but we'll see.

I never attended the Somerset show, but would attend the Philly show instead of traveling to Somerset two months earlier... Being that much closer to my location and a quick trip down the turnpike makes the Philly show much more attractive.

Don't you think it will be a fraction of the size? Also, I thought they went down this road a few years ago.

VC, do you mean attendees or vendors? I think people will logically focus on PA show. Additionally, I think their advice that they will have more PA focused speakers and presenters will lead to less people heading to Sommerset as well. Again, I think Sommerset will become a salt focused show, but that is just an opinion. Like I said, the shows are geographically too close together and will simply reduce attendees at both imo.

A fraction of the vendors. Can't see the manufacturers making the trip east again. Or at least not as many of them.

Hmmmm. Did not think about the west coast implications. Pretty major I guess. I think Philly has the edge on date as well as folks will have major cabin fever with an end in sight given its March.

It may force vendors to make a choice between Philly or Somerset as well.

VF CC might have table games by then too. So that sweetens the pot too.... :) Everyone is a winner.

It's apparently all set and on the schedule:

http://www.flyfishingshow.com/Home_Page.html

Great news for PA FFers. I go to the Somerset show almost every year. Since there's a national FF show in my back yard, I likely will skip Somerset and go only to VF. I agree that vendors/exhibitors may make a choice between the attending the two shows given the close proximity to each, and the result may be two smaller shows.

This isn't the show that's been in Oaks Pa the last few years, is it?

VF CC might have table games by then too. So that sweetens the pot too.... :) Everyone is a winner.

Not if you are sitting at my poker table! Pay the man is moniez.

This isn't the show that's been in Oaks Pa the last few years, is it?

It is not the same show. Not even close.

afishinado, I think that is going to be a recurring theme and will become problematic for the Somerset show.

The show in VF never drew a lot of the major vendors and the attendence showed it. It was last held in 2002 or 03 I believe. There was a large TU Chapter presence along with Bamboo Rod makers. Always had some good speakers, Humphrys, Rothrock , etc but nowhere as many as Somerset. I went to both and only because VF was more laid back. Maybe he will do something to perk the VF show up....

I think it's great. I travel to Somerset every year. It might be nice to attend two different shows.

Why would we care about somerset when we have are own show :-D

I don't know. Sounds like a bad business decision to me. I would have moved Sommerset to Philly or if I was adding a show I would have gone to Hburg or Pitt. Let's face it, people who would not drive from state college to sommerset are not going to drive to philly. Just not that much closer. Harrisburg would add new attendees without taking so many attendees from sommerset. I would have sommerset and h'burg back to back for the benefit of the vendors as well.

Back