A midwinter night's trout dreamer

Sparse_Grey_Hack

Sparse_Grey_Hack

Well, here I sit mid-winter, looking back at my grand re-entry into fly fishing this past July. I was never one for taking vacation days at work until this year. I took many through July, August, and September. I spooked and panicked uncountable trout, suckers, and chubs. I have caught decent-sized trout on flies ranging from over 4 inches long to size 24 pupa. (I have not caught a trout on a wooly bugger yet, though). I came to this site, realizing I was pretty much a fly-fishing hack and nome-de-plumed myself accordingly.

When I first re-started this madness, I immediately realized how out of touch I am with fly fishing for trout. Not only did I start in the midst of the hottest weather of the year, it also happened to be a year of low, low water. Had I not had some 20 years of experience under my belt, I may have given up. But I knew there was a level of confidence out there that I had achieved before. I also knew that all I had to do was put in time astream and it would slowly return. So I put in the time.

Many hot, sweaty days sloshing through low, clear water were spent wondering if the technology had passed me by. Questions buzzed through those days like bees tuning in on me from a brutal hive. Were my 30 year old flies still effective? Were my 30 year old techniques? Was I even fit enough to spend 4 plus hours wading and stumbling over streambeds? Were I to run into a legitimate hatch, were my eyes and hands still good enough to effectively respond to it?

I plunged on, with that hope that it will soon come together. It did, sometime in late September. I can't recall the exact moment. But it was after one fairly successfull trip involving hauling out several decent trout from low, crystal clear water that I realized I could again catch trout with regularity. That's some of what it's about, isn't it? If we didn't carry that hope, wrought from the iron of fishless days and way too occasional trout, or those special days when things just worked and we caught too many trout to count, to the stream, then we're only going for the scenery and sounds. And if I didn't negatively profit from an occassional run-on sentence like the previous one, I may actually falsely consider myself a writer.

I also realized it was a calling. I had spent many, many years not fishing. Those years found me craning my neck at each and every stream I drove over. My eyes often paused on such books as Fishless Days, Angling Nights or Fishing the Flymph while I gazed through my books on Gettysburg, astronomy, or quantum mechanics that stuffed shelves about my house. An odd mix, indeed. And when I came across others talking fishing, I always entered in with wild stories from decades ago.

I realized early on that I must be careful. I need this. It has taken me from the brink of sanity to a steady dream where all things come together. I know why I stopped somewhere in the early eighties. I must avoid that and find a balance where I can go out there and hassle the be-jupiter out of wild critters who, apparently, only want to just get by. Much like me.

What killed it for me back then? You could call it guilt. I was very good. I was at the point where, if i saw a trout, I could catch it. And even if I didn't see them, I could catch them. I had it down. I knew what to do, where, and when. I had my streams and I had my techniques.

The final cast was made at a joyously feeding trout (anthropomorphically speaking) in a clear riffle in a heavily fished freestone stream. I had a streamer on and decided to throw it rather than change to an insect fly. He immediately chased and hit it. I got him in quickly but there was blood. I had hurt him. The fly was big and he took it with all due intent. I realeased him and he went and sulked in a calm spot, no longer joyous--no longer feeding. I began to feel awful about it. There was a lot going on in my life at the time and this one event became too much to bear. Who was I to hassle these creatures for my enjoyment? I put my rod down that day and didn't pick it back up for almost 30 years. You see, I generally don't consider myself above the animals and critters of this world. I don't consider them there for me. We're both just here and that's as far as I can take it.

It didn't matter that, were I not putting money into the system, he probably wouldn't have even been there. It didn't matter that he was picking on something much smaller and more vulnerable than he, just like I was. The spiritual connection I had developed by fly fishing all those years immediately evaporated. My state of mind back then was such that if I could not come here and enjoy them without interfering, I would not enjoy them at all.

I bear this small cross every time I go out now. I have unintentionally hurt a few trout this year (with some intent after all). But since my return, I realize how much I need this. I see how the craziness in my life has significantly subsided since I've returned. I've seen my health, both mental and physical, improve dramatically. My BP is now 106 over 70 where, merely a year ago, it was pegging the meter at 180 over 104. And, after many dark years, I again have something I look forward to. And if I ever do catch that mermaid, I hope I don't hurt her too badly.

I would like to thank all here who have helped me make my return trip. You have all added something to my mental or physical trout-fishing repertoire. You have captured my attention with your stories and pictures. You have helped me find my way back to the magic of it all. You have given me hope that it still works as it did back then. You have caused me to laugh at the ridiculous and long for the spectacular. You have directly and unselfishly pointed me to streams and techniques that worked. But. most of all, you have listened to my seemingly endless ramblings (like this one). For that, I thank you. I'm an old-school message board groveller and I plan to be around a long time so get used to it.

Meanwhile, it's in the twenties here and I've seriously thought of heading out today. But I won't. I know the water is high and angry and I don't yet have the seriously cold weather fishing down pat yet as far as keeping hypothermia at bay is concerned. I never fished in the winter back then. I will miss it, come spring when the crowds and the fresh stockers return. It is now my core of fly fishing where gin-clear, low water, miniscule flies, and streams bereft of humans will fade into my memory. The gin-clear, low water already has. It's time to re-adjust. Time to grow some more. Time to discover even deeper mysteries

SGH,
Nice story. I enjoy a good narrative. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum I fear. I will be tubing the long rod for a while due to an addition to the family. Although the reason is joyous, I will still miss the time on the water.

Welcome back to the cult, and please keep my seat warm.

Welcome home Sparse.

Sparse, that was a tremendous read and a heartfelt composition. I'm glad you found your way back to the stream, it's nice to have you back in the brotherhood.

Sparse,

Sorry, but way too long for me to read the entire thing. You could have said all that with one paragraph! Lots of big words, you must be a fast typer with spell check. Writers only do that to make more pages so they have a bigger book to sell! LOL Less fluff for this guy!
I'm also a "returner" to fly fishing. When you analyze the numbers, the spin rod wins every time.
But fly fishing is a special thing. Very relaxing.
That's why I'm a fly guy!

Great story you sure have a way with words (in a good way) and welcome back! I too am on the other end of the spectrum and with young kids at home and the constant "itch" to go fish it gets hard at times. I am a newby and the only way I will improve is by just doing it. But since my time is pretty much reserved I spend way more time reading this board and articles abroad than doing. Thanks for the read and by all means keep them coming!

SGH-

You don't take vacation days? Are you self employed? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy-ha.

I hope I don't burst anyones bubble- glup... but winter only offically started yesterday.

Nice story- thanks for sharing! Now I am off to google "anthropomorphically". Paul

I've been meaning to read this for a while and finally sat down to do it. Glad I did. This was classic:

"And if I didn't negatively profit from an occassional run-on sentence like the previous one, I may actually falsely consider myself a writer."

Welcome back sparse,I too was out of the game for a while.I never put the fly rod down but just didn't pick it up 50 or so times a year.I also stopped traveling all over the state or elsewhere for trout.And started doing it for striped bass instead,with and without the fly rod.Then an old friend 2 years ago got really into it,which really fueled my hunger for trout once again.And I realized that all my old tricks still work,and that some of the new tying materials/flies are really productive,as well as some new tricks to fool trout.I mentored this friend to watch him turn into a good fly fisherman as well as a good tyer.I once again look forward to good days on the stream,I just don't call out sick when a hatch is going to come off at stream "a" at app ten o'clock.I caught alot of big trout this year as well as small,but had a tremendous year overall.I just wish I had pictures of them all.You never stop learning this sport we all love, my blood pressure still raises alot when I hook or especially when I loose a big fish.I can't speak for everyone but when I first started flyfishing,all i wanted to do was catch a trout on the fly rod.Then once that happened all I wanted to do was catch alot of trout.Then it was to catch the biggest trout in the stream all the time.After that I went to the salt for the bigger thrill,fish but now i'm back for good,or until the stripers start running/just joking.

Tight Lines

If you were alone in your addiction and awe of this sport this site wouldn't exist. I almost hate to call it a sport but for now I'm so determined to figure out as much as I can and seek out my quarry for me it is. Don't get me wrong, I panic if I can't effectively catch and release any success. I think it takes awhile to come to a place of contentment. I used to hunt and started up again 3 years ago. My first experience was not a good one at 16. Bad shot and the button buck I shot bawled. I don't know why I chose to do it again. Probably because I have boys and it's a way to connect. But maybe more it was that I felt so terrible about trying to harvest any living creature so ill prepared. Until this year I wasn't, but with practice and equipment more sooted for me I had a bead on a doe, I think this years baby then it's Mom. Maybe a yearly probably not much older and while I had at least a hour to shoot either, I passed. It is a wonderful feeling passing up what you think is a sure thing. What I think I like about hunting and fishing is it is never a sure thing. Not ever! Maybe that's what draws us all back to it.

1. SGH,
I have kept at it for more than 40 years. I, too, sometimes worry about the blood aspect of it, but fishing is really a blood sport, whether we like it or not. I practice c/r, too, but I occasionally keep a fish I know (for certain) is going to die, and then I eat it. This happened only once this past season. I love much that is associated with fly-fishing: the good reading, the attempts to match hatches, the constant learning, and, especially, the solitude along non-destination streams. I sometimes find myself sitting there, watching the fish rise, though most of the time I have at them! It is a constant state of learning. Being retired, I have been doing more winter fishing during the past couple of years, and I find that many of the tactics that work during the rest of the season work in winter, too.
2. Wet Net,
I love to hunt, too. I pursue wild turkeys almost relentlessly until I kill one or the season ends. I think that the populations of these marvelous gamebirds are still healthy enough to kill one for the table. However, I find the present deer-hunting policy of the PGC abhorrent. The public-land populations have been reduced to unhealthy (for the deer) levels by overzealous shooters. (I cannot call them "sportsmen.") The PGC and DCNR have encouraged this. I admire your sportsmanship about not shooting does with fawns and wish more deer hunters shared your ethics. What was once a wonderful outdoor sport, a blood sport to be sure, is a sad shadow of it once was.

Anyhow, sorry so long. I tend to ramble.

Back before I started fly fishing again, I rarely took a vacation day. Where I work, I can accrue them. I was well over 60. Now, I'm well under 40. What haunts me now are those I took prior to re-fishing where I figured I'd just take a day off because I had them.

When I stopped fly fishing, a friend dragged me, kicking and screaming, into bass fishing. I got pretty good at that too and managed to publish the first computer fishing game ever (called Gone Fish'n way back in 86.) Odd, but over the years, I would think about how well fly fishing would fit into the organizational structure of a computer program. Anyway, by 1990, I was done with bass too and figured my next challenge would be muskie. That never panned out. I can understand the draw of stripers, were the opportunity to present itself arise.

I do get an awkward feeling when I don't catch trout. I wouldn't call it panic, though panic is a close relative. But even early on in my return, that feeling accompanying complete fishlessness would dissipate by the time I got home and opened a book or magazine or came here and read yet another post about some technique or stream where the magic abounds. I rank my ability to be creative when fly fishing for trout as the primary motivator and generator of positive results. It's what worked for me then. I've come to count on that again.

When I fly-fished before, I would tell myself, and others, that I was simply training the trout--teaching them about us and our wily ways, while, secretely, the truth was I simply enjoyed that direct engagement with nature a trout on the end of my line can summon. Realizing that in it's fullness helped bring me back.

That, and the realization that I sorely need to be creative to even approach a semblence of a happy life. But, over the years, I found my creativity was as selective as a wily big brown taking only trico emergers. I don't deny there is creativity in bass fishing and probably in muskie and striper fishing too. But it pales when up against the infinite array of fly materials and techniques, the wide variety of flowing water, and the presentation/retrieve of flies.

And I no longer deny that I am a predator. Just like my quarry

Back