A mentors inspiration

S

Squaretail

grateful-godsgift002.jpg

Most flyfisherman I know have had a mentor of sorts. Even I am a mentor to a couple folks, and the idea is to show someone else that shows some curiosity just what it is that makes it so attractive.
I've had more than one mentor, and this mans name is Mark. His primary role for me was he simply put a flyrod back in my hands after well over a decade of "chuckin' the corn" as he puts it. :)

JackMPaulG019-1.jpg

Our own PaulG has played a role as well. Although mentoring from him about flyfishing would pretty much consist of "tie on the beetle and cast the beetle", what I've taken from him is to just be nice. I doubt I'll ever hit his level, but it has helped me to keep out of some dilemas, especially on the board.

003-7.jpg

Even Glen from the fisherie boards turned me and some family members onto some fish after going fishless and insisted we take his spot and use his flies.

027-2.jpg

But the truth is, nobody has taught me quite as much as this man. I'll never forget the first time I fished with him. It was up on Penns with the March browns and sulphers. I was like a dog on a leash that was trying to get off of it as bugs were everywhere and he just wanted to sit on the bank and catch bugs while waiting for this thing called a spinnerfall.
Ofcourse after casting my arm off all afternoon for a couple fish, Dave and Penns taught me an awesome lesson as the evening and said spinnerfall arrived.

025-3.jpg

Chicky took to him pretty quick and jumped right into his vehicle and onto his lap the second day she saw him. Hes always busting on me about her but as you can see...he atleast likes her a little. :)

026-1.jpg

Dave is far from just a flyfisherman and hunter. Former Director of Media Relations for the PFBC, former guide with his own lodge, 5 books to his credit, countless articles and awards and a conservationist to the core. Hes still pumping out articles for two newspapers a week plus his full time job in outdoor retail.

001-4.jpg

Although we bust each others chops pretty often, I cant help but have some respect and sometimes what he says just kinda sticks. This past week I was on Clarks fishing and Dave was with just to take some shots. I was getting a bit frustrated because I only brought three to hand and blaming the stocking and Dave said something to the effect of, "What? Arent you catching enough? Is it the trouts fault that your missing the strikes? Arent you enjoying this beautiful day?"
That same feeling started creeping up on me today and thats where what Dave said before "stuck". I figured what the heck, the best times are right around the corner, just go to the open water, grab some sucker spawn, and catch some fresh stockies and enjoy the day.
Little did I know......

029-2.jpg

All I saw was movement. It did look like something chasing minnows but I had no clue whatsover this thing was there. I just couldnt believe it. It was on a blind cast and it jumped twice wildly , but weirdly that looked more like a race car flipping down the track than a leap.

034-2.jpg

I'm trying to convince myself its not wild but I'm having a hard time of it.:)

031-3.jpg

I dont know what I could say about the fish that the pictures don't except that it went a little over 22".
I can say that when I was resting it near the bank, my conversation with Dave the other day ran through my head again and I'm sure there was a little grin that came across my face. I most likely would have been gone had it not been for the other day with Dave.

035-2.jpg

Theres more that hes taught me, much more. This is just another classic example.
Thanks Dave. You did it for me again.

Awesome, awesome thread.

That fish is almost assuredly wild, IMO. What a specimen. You'[re a hell of a fisherman. What did it take?

I miss my first FF mentor. I have a few that are still around, though. Some of them probably just don't know it. :)

Oh yeah...if we're still gonna have the "Top Trout" award, I'd like to officially make my submission.:-D
It took the sucker spawn Jay. I was fishing for stockies. I kid you not, and its not as hard for me to catch some of the fish I do when you consider where I live.
I am very confident you could find some work out here. :)

Awesome story...that is a great fish...I'm hoping to find my own "Dave" I'm pretty new to fly fishing and just self teach myself on the internet and going out and trying things but there is no substitute for a good teacher...if anyone ever wants to get together and do some fishing let me know.

ST,

Great post and thats a helluva fish regardless if it's a stockie or a wild.

For the record I vote it's a stockie. From the pics it looks like the dorsal, tail and anal fins are pretty chewed up and thats what I'm basing my opinion on. The colors are brilliant on it though, so I'm guessing it's been in the stream for awhile.

Good stuff. I figured you mighta tempted him with a streamer after seeing him chase. Then again, sucker spawns always take pigs for me too... stocked or wild.

Looks to me like he has a scar of some sort, between dorsal and adipose. Heron? If so, it's been a while since he got it. If he's not streambred, he's certainly put in some time in the stream. The blue spot and red adipose always get my attention.

Sweet fish Dan! And a great photo essay as always. There is nothing a mentor appreciates more than an eager and capable student. I'm sure you've made your mentors smile...

Dan :-D

This was one of your better photo essays! Truly the emotions and thoughts expressed in this post are strong and heart-felt. Its one of the things i always admired about you, never change bro!

I say its one of your better ones but i still like amber waves and blue halos but im biased :lol:
In all seriousness....

Its good to have a mentor on this sport. I only have one and we dont always get to fish together due to our busy schedules. Oddly enough i was going to do a similar post on Sunday. The "Four Horseman" are making a trip to the Spring Creek/Fishing Creek area this Saturday. Me, Slaymaker, Jay and my mentor and best friend Matt.

Matt is to me what Mark is to you. I like to think im jay and slays mentor but they have been teaching me so much through friendship, passion for the sport and how fast they have learn what took me years. It makes me revitalized to see them light up when they go somewhere new and have new experiences. Makes me remember why i just absolutely love this sport.

I see Dave made the mistake of grabbing a stick :lol:

As far as that fish......I vote wild all the way. The fins might be beat up from fighting off other fish or his holding lies. That trout looks to good to NOT be wild. Either way, you earned it through learning another lesson from your mentor. Sometimes I too just outta go out and just have fun and forget wild and stocked.

You earned that fish bro!

P.S. Awesome awesome post!

That is a beast!

No way that just fell outta the big white truck. If it was stocked, it was stocked years ago!!!

Kev

The friends we make fly fishing....

One thing that amazed me at last year's jam was to step back and look at the crowd. Folks from every walk of life so diverse, yet united by the common addiction to fly fishing.

Great essay, Dan! We need more of these.

I agree. This is just a great post and a (sometimes needed) reminder of What it's All About. Personally, I never really had a FFing mentor during my early years of fishing, but I did learn a lot from outdoor writers in the late 70s/80s and from carefully watching Joe Humphrys' talks and demos.
The Top Trout award was my idea at the beginning of this year. I haven't forgot about it; just haven't nailed the details - but Dkile is on board with the idea. Your submission is duly noted. :)

I vote wild.

Squaretail,
Wow, nice fish! I also think it is wild. You truly know how to catch fish and I applaud your enthusiasm for the sport.

Troy

What a beautiful thread, and such a fine fish. You should be truly proud of such a catch.

Nice fish.

Looks like 3/4 of the wilds I've caught (halo, spot pattern, red adipose, etc.)

I have sen wild fish with beat up fins, especially after a dry summer. Fromall the hiding and crowding they get torn up and chewed up by other fish.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D Thanks for sharing such a beautiful fish!

Great thread and what a beautiful trout! This thread really brought back some memories. You can learn a lot from mentors. I've just recently learned to slow down and appreciate the experience more. I used to be competitive about fly fishing, but now i just enjoy being outside, experiencing nature firsthand.

Neat.

Fortunate that I have 2-3 mentor types (as well as them being friends).

Get to take a little of the best of all of them. I would thank them but they probably owe me now- hehehehe.

I enjoy showing/helping some of my buddies now who are interested.

Dan

Very nice! I lost my mentor, he loved Clark Valley, as much as we do, I always called him the king of clarks creek, he like that, always brough a smile to his face!

Thank you, for the kind words!

PaulG

PaulG.......Let me say here that though i really don't know you , if what we are talking about "Trout of the Year" is for someone to represent what this place should stand for i vote for you.

Back