A good year for trout

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I was on my way home from getting porched on an appointment and was curious about something. I stopped at my honey hole at the local ATW to see if there were any trout. The latest that I can recall seeing trout in any part of the stream is probably July. I walked up and saw 2 rises. There was a glare so I couldn't see if it was 2 fish or just one. But I saw the fish scurry under a submerged log. Also as I sat back in my jeep I saw something on the roof, and felt something on my face. The picture below shows that. (a bit blurry, darn phone camera)

How did this years trout season stack up against your trout fishing in prior years? The weather and conditions really helped elongate the season, even though the later parts of the fall really didn't see much rain and hurt the steelhead runs. I know I personally had a much better year in terms of catching fish this year. Didn't get skunked more than 2 or 3 times. It might be that I'm getting better at my abilities, but the conditions this year really helped.

Ryan

Attachments

• black stones.JPG
    black stones.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 5
Best year yet for trout, worst for everything else.

The only real break I caught was good flows during the salmon run.

I enjoyed having great trout fishing into july, but would rather things return to normal next year.

I had a nice outing last November with a couple guys form the board and we caught trout on dries during a little black stonefly hatch. I thought it was unussual to see those bugs in November, but maybe not so unusual as I thought.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5394&forum=8

This was a great year for trout with many fish holding over through the summer in normally marginal waters. Fall fishing has been a little tough with low water conditions, but I think the conditions are just making the fish hard to catch without killing them off.

Wet Spring made fishing on Penns difficult and strange..Early Spring was better for me, that's when I caught that 18" letort brown..Summer was decent, things really picked up October November for me..Didn't fish the Trico as much this year either..

This year has been unreal, but the years not quite over yet...

I caught this beast of a native brook trout today. The picture really robs it of its color...

Attachments

• Poconos.JPG
    Poconos.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 3
great year. lots of fishing, lots of fish. not only trout, but did well with bluegills, crappy, and smallmouth. got to meet some of you guys also.
fished an average of about 3 days a week.
had some wonderful hikes into some fantastic brookie streams, also had great days on bigger waters like penns and oil creek.
I think having a relatively cool summer really helped the fish and the fishing, I think we only had a few days with temps in the 90s.
hopefully next year will be even better!

certainly are more hold overs this year!!

This was probably the best year for PA trout in freestoners than I have seen in over 3 decades in PA. I think we had more water in the streams in the summers of 03 and 04 but this year seemed to be just the right mix and the cool temps this summer were ideal. It was a lousy year for smallmouth bass.

Greenman: That's a heckuva brookie. Looks to be nearly a foot long.

this year for me was disappointing as i didint get out too much dues to work hopefully 2010 will be more forgiving as a matter of fact the only hatch i hit this year was a blue quill on bobs creek i think thats in bedford co.... it was the opening weekend of trout

Not as bad as last year but not as good as 2003. I didn't have any 100 fish days but I had a few days when I caught over 30. Up in the NC region I had the poorest fishing which goes against what I usually do. Closer to home I had my best fishing in the NE region.

Yeah this year was amazing for trout. Not so much for smallies but I was so preoccupied with all of the trout, maybe it only seems that way. My trout total on the year was double my previous best. I believe that was a result of the good weather and finding so many new spots, and getting out a lot more now that I can drive to fish whenever I want. Despite my successful year, I still have a lot to improve.

Greenman,

Thats a monster brookie. I say its over a foot. WOW.

Other then the cicadas last year was the best year for me. I caught more big trout and the biggest on the last fishing trip I made.

This past year was very good for me.
The only negative that I can recall, was the trico fishing on spring creek

Attachments

• Onesagoodyearonesagreatyear.jpg
    Onesagoodyearonesagreatyear.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 3
I thought the freestone wild trout fishing was pretty good, somewhat above average this year. I didn't do nearly as well this year as in 2003, though.

But that year was sort of an outlier, the conditions were just so unusual and perfect. You probably only get a year like that 4 or 5 times in a century.

Fishidiot, Maurice... Yeah, that thing was just a beast for a stream that is quite small... I don't' have an exact measurement, but based on the pic and my arm size, it's right around a foot, maybe a 12.5 inches, but either way it got me pretty fired up to catch such a beast..

Here's the stream...

Attachments

• Freestone.JPG
    Freestone.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 2
GreenMan wrote:
Fishidiot, Maurice... Yeah, that thing was just a beast for a stream that is quite small... I don't' have an exact measurement, but based on the pic and my arm size, it's right around a foot, maybe a 12.5 inches, but either way it got me pretty fired up to catch such a beast..

Here's the stream...

Pretty fish from an equally pretty stream GM!

Holy crap Greenman, that brookie deserves its own thread and sure looks like it could be a post spawn native to me.
Please pm GPS coordinates.

:-o :-D :-o :-o :-o

Back