A dilemma

flybop

flybop

A recent thread reminded me of a dilemma I was faced with last season while going through some photos for my web site. Here is the situation: One of my clients hooked, fought, and landed a fish of a lifetime with me last season. The way the fight played out is actually every bit as memorable as the fish itself.

Here is the question. If you hooked, played and landed a fish of a lifetime and your buddy netted the fish and saw that it was snagged, would you want to know that it was indeed snagged? Would knowing it was snagged detract from an otherwise exciting, memorable fight and experience?

Yes, I would want to know. Depending on what kind of rig I was using, I may or may not care.

If using a streamer, and the fish was hooked by that streamer (not a trailer), I have no problem with it. It's no different than the 5 lb bass I hooked on top of the head with a 6 hooked plug. I would also count a dry caught fish, no matter where I get it.

The catch is that I don't really count any fish. I just look at them and release them to be forgotten.

If I was blind nymphing, I wouldn't want count it.

If it was my buddy you bet I'd tell him it was snagged.....if it was a paying client...not that I am a guide, I'd probebly make not mention of it unless he/she pointed it out. Pull out the fly and let them have the glory.

I would want to know, but my brother did it on a steelie a few years ago, his first one after a few days of miserable weather fishing. I quickly got the hook out without telling anyone, snapped a picture and congratulated him.

I should have added he is my younger brother, i once told him he was good at basketball and that was not true either.

It must have been snagged mighty close to the mouth if the angler didn't notice it wasn't mouth hooked-in that case I would say it was fair hooked and let it be,unless you were using bait,which you weren't.More details???

I think it depends on whether or not the fish took the fly first (similar to the other thread).

I've landed many fish that took the first fly, shook it (probably as a result ofthe pressure created by getting snagged by the second) and stayed hooked with the trailing fly.

I would probably tell him so that the fish 100% gets released. No sence in lying and then right before the release him saying he wants to keep it.

I would want to know. May be a fish of a lifetime, but I'm young, I've got plenty of time left! (if not my wife can afford all the FF trips I never took and she doesn't like to fish)

There never was a question that the fish would be released. Here is how the situation unfolded. Two brothers were with me on the Big Horn and I parked the boat in a channel. After wade fishing one side we walked across the island to wade fish the other side. One brother hooked what was immediately apparent to be a big fish. The way the fish screamed down river also lead me to believe that it was snagged near the pectoral fin. We chased the fish down to the end of the island, and the guy was already well into his backing.

The end of the island literally had us at the end of our rope. There was a fast current coming in and the fish was way out in the fast water. All through the fight I repeatedly said that we needed to be in a boat to land this fish. Two strangers had their boat parked at the end of the island and they offered to take my fisherman in their boat to chase the fish. This was the only way to ever see this fish, so my guy hoped in. I then ran as fast as I could to go get my boat.

When I got my boat to the end of the island I picked up the brother and saw, to my amzement, that the fish was still on. We caught the other boat and my guy wanted to get into my boat so I could net his fish. It was 45 degrees, spitting rain and the water we we floating in now was slow and deep. I told the brother to move to the back of my boat. I meant for him to walk to the back. In the excitement he stepped out, into water over his head.

Now the brother with the fish on, and myself, were faced with a decision: Do we net the fish first, or get the brother, who was kneck deep in cold water, back in the boat. All I could think of to say was to hold on, I needed to look this situation up in my Guide Manual. We manged to get the brother in, then net the fish.

As soon as I saw that the fish was snagged I quickly unhooked it, and did not tell the guys who were hooting, and laughing uncontrolably (so was I) that the fish was snagged. We took the pics, revivied the fish carefully, and let it go. It was about a 22 inch bow.

I never could figure out why I listened to flybop and stepped into that deep water.

well done,Sir.

All that for a 22" bow? By the time I got to the end of the story I was expecting a 30"+ brown. Either way I'd want to know if it was foul hooked.

JasonS wrote:
All that for a 22" bow? By the time I got to the end of the story I was expecting a 30"+ brown. Either way I'd want to know if it was foul hooked.

A 22 inch bow on the bighorn is more fish than a 30 inch steelhead in erie any day of the week. I'm not surprised, especially since it was probably on a 5wt.

I'll have to take your word for it, because unfortunately I haven't fished the bighorn...yet. Is a 22" bow rare for the bighorn?

JasonS wrote:
I'll have to take your word for it, because unfortunately I haven't fished the bighorn...yet. Is a 22" bow rare for the bighorn?

Not really, at least I don't think so.

It's the most prolific fishery in the world.

Here's the first quote I could dig up about it:

"Flowing out south-central Montana’s impressive Bighorn Reservoir, the Bighorn River is truly a flyfisher’s paradise. Considered by many to be one, if not the most productive trout rivers in the world, the Bighorn hosts an average of 6000 trout per mile to back up its swagger. To add to this astonishing figure is the fact that the average size of a Bighorn trout ranges between 16-18" with 5 and 6 pound lunker caught with striking frequency."

Yeah. I'd want to know. I don't count snagged fish. It's such a disappointment for me going through the exhilaration of fighting what I think to be is a large fish, only to find out that it's a modest fish that's been snagged.

Snagged fish feel much better than they actually are.

22 bow is equal to 30"browns-lol

pete41 wrote:
22 bow is equal to 30"browns-lol

On what planet? :-?

Thanks Jay. I really need to get out there.

Maurice wrote:
If it was my buddy you bet I'd tell him it was snagged.....if it was a paying client...not that I am a guide, I'd probebly make not mention of it unless he/she pointed it out. Pull out the fly and let them have the glory.

I agree with Maurice. I surprise that no one asked if he was using the Moffitt system.

Back