A day of milestones

Pontus

Pontus

Since I'm about to go on a 10 day service trip where I might not be able to fish (even though its in the mountains of Virginia with lots of trout streams nearby), I'm trying to get my fair dosage of fishing in before I leave. I got on the water around 6:30 and fished for a couple hours. There was already one guy on the stream working upstream, so I went downstream with my freshly tied black woolly bugger.

After a little bit and one missed hit, this brown took my fly and became my first fish on a fly I tied myself.
firstonmyownfly.jpg

I kept fishing my way downstream but heard rises coming from a deep, long pool that runs next to a large cliff face, so I made my way down there. There were a couple trout rising, but I couldn't really tell what they were taking. I tied on a hopper and started casting to a rising trout at the back of the pool. On the third cast he hit, I set the hook, and after a couple seconds of fighting, he popped off. He stopped rising, so I moved on to another fish, who eventually took the hopper to become my first trout on a dry fly.
firstdryfly.jpg

It was a good day of fishing with nice flows, very cold temps, and even a couple trout.

Good stuff. Shame you can't fish in VA. The brook trout fishing in the mountains is phenomenal.

Well I know I'll be able to fish at least one day, but that's gonna be for smallies on the New River. We're going down to do manual labor and just hang out with the residents of an old, poor, mining town, so my goal is to find a guy down there that fly fishes. There has to be at least one.

Back