A Greater Fish

greenghost

greenghost

After reading Dave's terrific homepage article on Ed Koch's 9-pound monster trout from the LeTort, I tried to find a story written about that fish in PA Angler.

Couldn't find that, but found something else instead... a 10-pound leviathan caught by Chambersburg angler, Terry Ward. He caught it on a black streamer in the summer of '69

Amazing-sized fish from that relatively small stream in its heyday!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-15 at 2.08.33 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-15 at 2.08.33 PM.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 7
What a cool find. It is indeed "greater" - at least in a physical sense. There have been a fair number of 10lb+ browns from the Cumberland Valley over the years.

In the lower right corner is a partial pic of a big muskie from Pymatuning. This was the heyday of muskie fishing on that lake and it lasted through the 70s when this lake was rated among the very best muskie lakes in the US. The red spot disease hit the muskies hard by the 80s and the lake lost its reputation across muskie land. Since then, the fish have recovered but the lake's reputation perhaps didn't.

That is very cool. I've seen a few like that from there also over the years. Catching them is always another story.

I know Terry and he's darn fine guy. He sells fruit and other stuff at a pull in along Falling Spring and uses the money as a mowing fund to mow that section. He was a little thinner back then.

Willscreek,
Awesome. You should take him a printout of this photo and see if he'll give you the complete story of this fish (and if it's okay with Terry we'll tell his story here on PAFF). :)

I've met Terry along on his property at Falling Springs too. I could talk to him all day! He's very humble and a wealth of information. His tomatoes are fantastic too :D

FYI guys,

You'll find the complete magazine -- PA Angler October '69 --in the
PA Angler archive... it's a great resource to look back into time!

Back