37 Anonymous Users

djs12354

djs12354

Just browsing the forum while killing time before heading to meet Dan and drive down to the Little Lehigh this morning and I noticed that out of 42 people browsing the forum, 37 were anonymous.

Makes me wonder why? Some may be members that have not logged in, but I bet that is a small percentage.

It doesn't cost any $ to join. It takes very little effort, probably 3 minutes and hardly any personal information is requested.

Join the forum and contribute. The more information passed back and forth, the better the forum becomes. And this is a great forum already!

Even if you disagree with something you see posted here, comment on it. There have been great arguments to follow here by people much more knowledgeable than I am and I have learned from them. (There have been stupid fights as well, but you will have that)

IMHO, an argument is an exchange of ideas, information, perspective with the goal of changing someone's point of view on a subject. And being open to the possibility that (Gasp!) your point of view may be wrong. The inability to consider that you may be mistaken is when the argument degenerates into a fight.

Back on track time.

Don't just lurk, join, contribute, ask questions. Your questions will prompt discussion that we can all learn from. (just look at the number of responses to some of my own simple questions!)

Say hello. You'll make new friends. I have and look forward to making more.

Dave

Nothing wrong with not wanting to be part of the crowd and just sitting back and reading what is on the board. I guess if there were something wrong with it the whole site would be like the OT section. I do stop in here every now and then and don't log in. Not everyone needs to know who I am and or what I'm doing at any given time of the day. There are times I come in under I proxie isp number. To each their own. Can't see it being anything to lose sleep over. As long as the powers that be don't have a problem with it. It will stay an open board that is open to all. I log in about 75% of the time. Some days it's good to stay hidden.

And that's why I don't post detailed reports. Lurkers. Like a peeping Tom.

You are talking in the "public square." There are private messages for those that want privacy. This is no secret, everyone should know and understand it. So unless you are hidden behind a phony username, like me, you should be careful what you post (and, as noted, where on the net you are "visible"). We have talked this point to death. Is this just going to be a revival of one of the other worn-out debates? Let's not. Let's go fishing.

Bigfoot anyone?

Speaking of being in the public square....

They could also be search bots.

one forum i visit gets about 1 post every other day but right now there are 9 "guests" viewing the board.

They could be just like me. I tend to read the forums every day on a public computer. I don't like putting my LI and PW just to read. Too many eyes and cameras. If I want to make a comment, I usually wait until I get home.

Most of them are likely search-spiders ('bots) and users that are on their laptops or work computers and not automatically logged in.

Either way.. pretty small numbers.

It certainly wasn't my intent to revive an old debate. Just thought that extending an invitation to lurkers might change them into contributors.
Guess you know what the road to hell is paved with.

Dave

PS: I did not post the original to the OT forum because lurkers can't read there. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

Dave

JackM wrote:
You are talking in the "public square." There are private messages for those that want privacy. This is no secret, everyone should know and understand it. So unless you are hidden behind a phony username, like me, you should be careful what you post (and, as noted, where on the net you are "visible"). We have talked this point to death. Is this just going to be a revival of one of the other worn-out debates? Let's not. Let's go fishing.

That's how I read it djs...extending an invitation to those who have not joined. I enjoy reading / learning from different experiences and perspectives. The more the merrier.

If they want to join they will they don't need an invitation.

I often look while I'm at work and rarely post, just read. Guilty!

Bigfoot is choking to death.

djs12354 wrote:
It certainly wasn't my intent to revive an old debate....
PS: I did not post the original to the OT forum because lurkers can't read there. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

Dave

JackM wrote:
You are talking in the "public square." ....

My thoughts were not directed at your post, but the reply just before me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I give the bigfoot call a 10.

Allright you shamed me into it......

Back