2014 Stream Survey Results

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I recently looked at the list of trout streams being considered for a designation of wild trout, and saw two tributaries of Kettle Creek in Sullivan County, on my hunting cabin ground. It says they were both surveyed in 2014, and I'd liken to look at what they found in the survey. How would I go about finding this information? Or is it just suggesting that there might be fish there? Thanks.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
I recently looked at the list of trout streams being considered for a designation of wild trout, and saw two tributaries of Kettle Creek in Sullivan County, on my hunting cabin ground. It says they were both surveyed in 2014, and I'd liken to look at what they found in the survey. How would I go about finding this information? Or is it just suggesting that there might be fish there? Thanks.

It means that they found wild trout there by electrofishing.

So just go there and fish and see how you do.

Most of the mileage of smallish streams running through forests in that region holds wild trout.

Streams on your cabin... you should already know what's in them and surveyed with your rod ;-)

troutbert wrote:
It means that they found wild trout there by electrofishing.
So just go there and fish and see how you do.
Most of the mileage of smallish streams running through forests in that region holds wild trout.

Agree with this. ^

The survey identified at least one adult wild trout and at least one young of the year wild trout. This identifies the stream as having "wild trout." It doesn't necessarily mean a lot of wild trout. Your fishing experiences can confirm whether a larger population is present.

Also, be aware that the natural reproduction list describes streams based on the county where the mouth of that stream is located. The actual section where they found the wild fish may have been miles away, often further upriver and actually in an adjacent county.

Yeah, it means they found wild fish from multiple year classes, which strongly suggests reproduction is happening in that stream. How much? Well, they don't typically publish that. If it meets the biomass threshold for class A they do propose it be added to the class A list as well, rather than the more generic "streams with natural reproduction list".

Still, most of my favorite small streams are class B or C. There is also class D, but they tend to fish pretty poorly.

You may be able to get specific data upon request at your fisheries management area office. The area 3 office, I believe, is located at the hatchery in Pleasant Gap, PA. Or it may be the regional office in Bellefonte (@ Fishermans Paradise on Spring Creek) you'd have to go to. I'm not sure.

The regional office for area 3 is still at pleasant gap. For much of Sullivan county, if the water is clean there are usually wild trout, right now would be easy to tell with your eyes as low as many of the streams are in NC Pa

All stream surveys are public record so you can most certainly get the info. Your first option would be to email the regional biologist and ask them directly. Most likely they will just email you back and tell you what they found. If that doens't work all the records are kept at Pleasant Gap and you can walk in there and scroll through every stream ever surveyed in the state.

Zak wrote:
If that doens't work all the records are kept at Pleasant Gap and you can walk in there and scroll through every stream ever surveyed in the state.

The OP is asking about a recent survey.
The paper records at Pleaseant Gap, generally, do not include studies after about 2006. Recent records from the last decade or so are digital and access requires that you contact the local AFM (as you suggested).

For those mountain streams, you don't need survey info.

Just go fish.

Walk long distances on the streams, look for the good habitat, i.e. pools and cover.

Go when the conditions are good. When there is decent flow in the streams.

You don't need survey info to fish a stream, but the OP wants to read the survey results, so he knows what shocking turned up, I presume. I'd be curious too what is actually in any given stream, especially if it was in close proximity to property I had access to, and then being able to compare the shocking results with my meager angling results. Fishing a stream isn't the best way to find out what it actually holds.

salmonoid wrote:
Fishing a stream isn't the best way to find out what it actually holds.

True, but stream reports are not always the best way to find out how a stream fishes. ;-)

Unfortunately, I live 2:30 hours away from it. Otherwise I would be on it all the time. I do a lot of small game hunting right in the area of the stream, and I have seen it before. It is VERY small, but I suppose it's enough for a trout to be in. The only reason I'd like to see the survey is, like mentioned, to see what they collected, and possible the numbers to see how many fish I am actually fishing over. I guess I will have to survey it myself!

Back