"Crate Training"

Swattie87

Swattie87

Been taking my last few remaining days off for the year to help house break our puppy that came home two Fridays ago. I've been trying to get her a few 3 hour or so stints in the crate to help build her up to the 4 or so hours she'll need to be able to make it when my wife and I are both at work and my wife can get home for lunch. The plus side of this of course is I need something to do while she's getting her "crate practice." Given the limitations of her bladder at 10 weeks old and about 3 pounds, this means I've been staying rather local. Today I drove around and scouted access for a local limestoner that unfortunately is mostly posted. I found a short stretch today that was in a small public park and decided to give it a few casts.

Wasn't the best habitat in the world, but there were a few nice runs and a whopper of a culvert pool to keep me interested. Drifted a size 16 Olive BH Scud through the likely spots for an hour or so and picked up a half dozen Browns. Best two were around 12", and one of them had the largest Scud I've ever seen in its mouth...seriously about a size 10! Didn't see any active spawners, but saw two nice redds in the tails of the shallower pools. One smaller one, and a VERY large one that looked like a communal type deal. Got a hot turkey sandwich with MP/gravy at the diner on the way home, and then played with the pup. Nice late Fall day out of the office.

(2) - Little limestoner in a park. Wish more of this one was open.
(3) - Colorful little one
(4) - First 12 incher
(6) - Second 12 incher
(063) - "Sydney" - Yes, she is a Pens fan.

Attachments

• 11-25-13 (2) PAFF.jpg
    11-25-13 (2) PAFF.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 11-25-13 (3) PAFF.jpg
    11-25-13 (3) PAFF.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 11-25-13 (4) PAFF.jpg
    11-25-13 (4) PAFF.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 11-25-13 (6) PAFF.jpg
    11-25-13 (6) PAFF.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 6
  • Syd 063 PAFF.jpg
    Syd 063 PAFF.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
enjoy the sleeping puppy for now...... it won't last.

krayfish wrote:
enjoy the sleeping puppy for now...... it won't last.

BIG understatement!...She played hard this afternoon and I was expecting a good nap...I got 27 minutes.

Nice fish, Swattie! I stopped by a local limestoner Friday late afternoon. I was dredging a sculpin in some of the best water. After nailing about a half dozen chubs...... I was "embracing the chub" for a bit but it did get a little bit old, I finally came to an awesome undercut bank of a big root system of a tree. I hooked into a "pig" of a brown just before dark in a steady rain. Had him on for about 5 seconds. For a guy who doesn't catch a lot of big fish, this was a milestone for me. I know where he lives..... I will be back!

Good looking pup! Even if it is a Pens fan!

If that's the steam I think it is I agree with you. However you can gain access to some other sections with some door knocking. I fished that little park mid summer this past year and nailed a bunch of fish. I thought it was funny the trout liked the shallower yet more natural branch of the stream and not the off chute channelized but deeper canal. Above the atw is some great water if you can gain access.

never crated my dogs and never had a problem. I used to go up to 10 hours and not a drop or pile.

I'm sure it's the one you're thinking of sal. As far as the park stretch, I agree...the right, non-channelized branch was more productive on the whole. Didn't see any action on the left branch other than the culvert hole.

I know one other short stretch further upstream that Squatch showed me. I've talked to the landowners there several times, great folks.

I have a couple other stretches I can take you to as well, Swattie.

Sounds good Squatch. I'll buy the grub at the diner...and try not to get us kicked off another stream this time!

I know I still owe you a tour of that freestoner with Browns. As soon as conditions are right, let's do it.

"I used to go up to 10 hours and not a drop or pile."

That may be the quote of the year.

Nice fish and cute pup.

DC,
I'm waiting to see the pic of that big trout when you return and catch him. No pressure. :-D

Back